Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perfect time to use Erickson ?
In the midst of injuries should Erickson get a legitimate shot at WR #3? Will Marvin and Lazor draw up some plays to get him in the mix? We've seen him step in time to time and even take a running play. What would you do with him in this game... ?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 11:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: In the midst of injuries should Erickson get a legitimate shot at WR #3?   Will Marvin and Lazor draw up some plays to get him in the mix?  We've seen him step in time to time and even take a running play.  What would you do with him in this game... ?

Shallow crosses against man coverage.  Other receivers running clearing routes deep.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 11:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: In the midst of injuries should Erickson get a legitimate shot at WR #3?   Will Marvin and Lazor draw up some plays to get him in the mix?  We've seen him step in time to time and even take a running play.  What would you do with him in this game... ?

There's a lot you can do with him.  He's good on screens and jet sweeps.  If you put him in the backfield, it opens up a lot of possibilities.  He plays the slot well.  He catches well in traffic and runs well in traffic too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Malone hasn't done much and I'm still not sold on Core. I'd give Erickson several snaps for sure in the slot. An end around once or twice as well. I'd like to see us do a flea flicker of sorts with him throwing a pass.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 11:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Malone hasn't done much and I'm still not sold on Core. I'd give Erickson several snaps for sure in the slot. An end around once or twice as well. I'd like to see us do a flea flicker of sorts with him throwing a pass.

I think this would be the perfect game for a wrinkle play.

Erickson played QB before... did Boyd also sometime?

This just feels like a game a trick play could be tried like Sanu used to do.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 11:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Malone hasn't done much and I'm still not sold on Core. I'd give Erickson several snaps for sure in the slot. An end around once or twice as well. I'd like to see us do a flea flicker of sorts with him throwing a pass.

I agree about Core and Malone.

They're kind of just ho hum type players.

Erickson just seems to have drive and motor to want to get things done.

I was just thinking how the Pats seem to get stuff out of these types of players.

Lazor has got to notice that at some point.
Reply/Quote
Insert him as a TE and with Kroft/Uzomah on the other side.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote

Erickson is a sure handed guy who will make some plays. I'd also like to see Malone get out there.

Reply/Quote
I want TATE out there
Reply/Quote
This is funny.  During preseason many people on this very board wanted the team to part ways with Erickson and now he's being promoted to both the backup RB AND QB and can do no wrong ..I think he should be promoted to backup team owner in case of injury to Mikey.. Heck , make him Geno's backup..ok..not that.  He'd get killed under those 300 lb linemen ..  lol

Actually I have never really had issue with Erickson. He's not the greatest return guy, but he damned sure ain't the worse either. He's been a good, solid player in just about any role they've had him in. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 05:34 AM)grampahol Wrote: This is funny.  During preseason many people on this very board wanted the team to part ways with Erickson and now he's being promoted to both the backup RB AND QB and can do no wrong ..I think he should be promoted to backup team owner in case of injury to Mikey.. Heck , make him Geno's backup..ok..not that.  He'd get killed under those 300 lb linemen ..  lol

Actually I have never really had issue with Erickson. He's not the greatest return guy, but he damned sure ain't the worse either. He's been a good, solid player in just about any role they've had him in. 
This isn't so much a "rah rah rah!" notion.

It's just accepting the fact that he isn't stellar but gets the job done.

Just like we were waiting for Boyd to be consistent and reliable going into this season.

He has and it's paid off.

I doubt Erickson will be anything more than a 3rd - 4th option receiver.

Not even comparing him to Boyd here talent-wise.

It just feels like he could be utilized in the offense with Ross being out and maybe some gadget plays.

We've had players in the past who have done this so it really isn't much of a stretch in reasoning.
Reply/Quote
I've been a vocal supporter of Erickson since day 1. In this game, I'd put Boyd out at Wide and use Alex in the slot. And I do believe Lazor and Merv grasp the reliability Erickson brings, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten that contract extension. That said, I think he is underutilized.
Reply/Quote
Wow, this is the same board that was calling for his scalp just a few weeks ago too. Agree, get him in the offense plan more. Get him the ball more. Not so keen on the sweep around the backfield for him or any other back as those plays have to be timed perfect and they just seem to take too long to execute. He showed great awareness in preseason when he caught that sideline pass and drug both feet for the first down. He knows how to move the chains.  ThumbsUp

Ross's speed is great and all but DB's usually have an angle and will overcome that speed. Open field after a catch yes, but gotta catch it first. They should be fine with Ross out.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 11:44 PM)McC Wrote: There's a lot you can do with him.  He's good on screens and jet sweeps.  If you put him in the backfield, it opens up a lot of possibilities.  He plays the slot well.  He catches well in traffic and runs well in traffic too.

BOOM, the kid can do a lot, lets try and exploit his diversity
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I honestly don't know which is better:

Move Boyd to X and have Erickson play slot

Leave Boyd at slot and have a rotation of Malone and Core at X.

Erickson will stay play in 4 WR sets and when Boyd takes a break.

I am inclined to avoid messing with Boyd, as he has become the clutch third (and fourth!) down target for Dalton. This isn't a slight on Erickson, but we haven't had a slot WR with this kind of production since TJ in his prime, and that offense (which was rarely with these three) with TJ, Chad, and Henry was unstoppable. Still praying Ross can continue to develop and become the threat I believe he can THIS YEAR on the outside.
Reply/Quote
Leave Boyd in the slot. He has been absolutely killing it. Don't mess with that.

Mix in Erickson in some 4 WR sets, but no need to adjust our offense just to get him on the field. He is solid, but nothing special.
Reply/Quote

We should get him in the mix, but Malone's game fits more of the outside Receiver role.

But hey, Boyd has been playing on the outside at times and still getting his. 

Erickson is just more of a Slot Receiver but so is Boyd and he is playing lights out.

But if Malone isn't cutting it by all means, get Erickson in there, he has guts and just makes plays.
Reply/Quote
Erickson is a great receiver over the middle and making catches in tight areas from what I've seen.

I know we are going to use Malone, but I honestly don't love the guy. Such great physical tools, but seems to try and catch with his body too often.

Boyd has shown more than capable of #2 on the outside though. So I have 100% trust in AJ and Boyd to make some plays, though I think Boyd will need to be similar to last week with X Howard lining up against AJ all game.

I do think Erickson will get some chances this game.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 02:40 PM)thillan Wrote: Erickson is a great receiver over the middle and making catches in tight areas from what I've seen.

I know we are going to use Malone, but I honestly don't love the guy. Such great physical tools, but seems to try and catch with his body too often.

Boyd has shown more than capable of #2 on the outside though. So I have 100% trust in AJ and Boyd to make some plays, though I think Boyd will need to be similar to last week with X Howard lining up against AJ all game.

I do think Erickson will get some chances this game.

Malone has been a bit of a disappointment thus far. I thought he was going to be a solid contributor for us and it hasn't really panned out. Perhaps with Ross out he'll step up ?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 03:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Malone had been a bit of a disappointment thus far. I thought he was going to be a solid contributor for us and i has really panned out. Perhaps with Ross out he'll step up ?

I sure hope so, the man would really be a mismatch if he does. Great size and speed combination.
Reply/Quote