Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal attacks need to stop
Some on this board tend to go out of their way to attack others and it really needs to stop or this little subsection is going to turn into a lefty circle jerk even more than it already is.

So please, talk about the topic of the OP and leave your personal biases out of it.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(01-31-2016, 09:38 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Some on this board tend to go out of their way to attack others and it really needs to stop or this little subsection is going to turn into a lefty circle jerk even more than it already is.

So please, talk about the topic of the OP and leave your personal biases out of it.

I have been told it is impossible to talk about a person's views without personally insulting the person.

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-31-2016, 09:38 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Some on this board tend to go out of their way to attack others and it really needs to stop or this little subsection is going to turn into a lefty circle jerk even more than it already is.

It is not a personal attack if you point out the fallacies the person keeps posting nor to point out what they have said or done.

Attacking their family?  Sure.
Calling names?  Yep.

If a poster says "A" over and over and over and its given back to them over and over then it is what it is.

Especially when they insist on ignoring any fact that disagree with their predisposed bias....or focusing on what small nuanced difference to drag the thread away from its original post.

As is said often...if they don't like it they can ignore it or not read or post in it.

Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-31-2016, 10:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: As is said often...if they don't like it they can ignore it or not read or post in it.

Rock On

Does anyone else see the irony? 

Sorry Larry, I was responding to the OP with my take on what a "personal attack was".

My apologies to you.

As for seeing irony...oh, I see it.

(01-31-2016, 10:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: As is said often...if they don't like it they can ignore it or not read or post in it.

Rock On

(01-31-2016, 10:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Does anyone else see the irony? 

Smirk
That's not what I'm talking about GM, I'm talking about bringing stuff into a thread from other threads or someone just not liking someone else and the only thing they contribute is an attack.
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
I propose a Smack Talk sub-section of P&R. It's a winning idea. It will make this board great again. Losers!
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Yes. Personal attacks need to stop. Respond to the points, not the person who made them. This can be done without dredging up past posts and threads.

If you see a post that you think is a direct attack, report it and we will review it/remove it. I try to watch for things, but can't review every post in every thread all of the time.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(01-31-2016, 10:42 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I propose a Smack Talk sub-section of P&R. It's a winning idea. It will make this board great again. Losers!

I have mentioned this option in the past.

One forum for folks that wish to talk like adults and one for those that do not. 

Hell. I'd probably qualify for both. 

(01-31-2016, 10:24 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: That's not what I'm talking about GM, I'm talking about bringing stuff into a thread from other threads or someone just not liking someone else and the only thing they contribute is an attack.

(01-31-2016, 10:46 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yes. Personal attacks need to stop. Respond to the points, not the person who made them. This can be done without dredging up past posts and threads.

If you see a post that you think is a direct attack, report it and we will review it/remove it. I try to watch for things, but can't review every post in every thread all of the time.

I respectfully disagree.  if poster says something in one thread it should be fair game in another thread if they continue the though process (or lack there of).

If a poster makes a claim in one thread but can't back it up (repeatedly) they should be allowed to be called out when they make a claim in another thread.

These posts don't happen in a vacuum.  Many of us have been posting to and with each other for ten years.  Its foolish to think nothing said before should n't be allowed to be brought up ever again in my opinion.
This is ok in my opinion,

Poster 1: "2+2=5"
Poster 2: "No, 2+2=4 and here's a video of a guy counting pins to prove it"
Poster 1: "No, 2+2=5....duh"
Poster 2: "You're and idiot"

This is not ok in my opinion,

Poster 2: "you're an idiot"

Or

Poster 1: "News is spelled N.E.W.S."
Poster 2: "you're an idiot, you said 2+2=5"
(01-31-2016, 11:09 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: This is ok in my opinion,

Poster 2: "No, 2+2=4 and here's a video of a guy counting pins to prove it"
Poster 1: "No, 2+2=5....duh"
Poster 2: "You're and idiot"

This is not ok in my opinion,

Poster 2: "you're an idiot"

Or

Poster 1: "News is spelled N.E.W.S."
Poster 2: "you're an idiot, you said 2+2=5"

I totally agree with 1 and 2.

Number three needs context.  The poster who says the same thing in multiple threads should be OK with someone bringing it up to them.  

There is no way to keep personal biases out of these topics. The biases exist whichever side of the argument the poster is on. I find it funny that you refer to it as a lefty circle jerk when in all honesty it depends on which thread it is and how active particular posters are at the time. There are about as many posters on the right as on the left around here, and all of them are just as obstinant as those on the other side, including with the personal attacks.

Biases are a part of this sort of thing, no way around it, really.
(01-31-2016, 11:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is no way to keep personal biases out of these topics. The biases exist whichever side of the argument the poster is on. I find it funny that you refer to it as a lefty circle jerk when in all honesty it depends on which thread it is and how active particular posters are at the time. There are about as many posters on the right as on the left around here, and all of them are just as obstinant as those on the other side, including with the personal attacks.

Biases are a part of this sort of thing, no way around it, really.

"Lefty circle jerk" is my personal bias, lol.

To go completely off topic just to attack a poster is no ok though. If a thread is about religion and a poster says something about religion that someone else doesn't like or they just don't like the poster, there will be a snide remark about what the poster said about taxes or something stupid and not on topic.

There are or we're many threads about "Muslims" not to long ago. Now, if in one thread about Muslims someone says something stupid and in another thread about Muslims they say some other thing, it is ok to bring up what they have said before in the first thread since its about the same subject.

If someone says something stupid about Muslims then says something stupid about taxes, how does what he said about Muslims correlate with taxes? If he said "All Muslims are gay" then in another thread say "There should be a 95% tax on everyone", there is no point in bringing up what he said about Muslims.
Sounds like some thinks Lucy needs saving or protecting.
(02-01-2016, 12:09 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Sounds like some thinks Lucy needs saving or protecting.

Or maybe Neb doesn't want to have to sift through 2-3 pages of posts where a select group of posters try and derail the thread they don't agree with by attacking a conservative and stopping all discussion.
(01-31-2016, 10:42 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I propose a Smack Talk sub-section of P&R. It's a winning idea. It will make this board great again. Losers!

Or even a pinned thread at the least. But I agree with you if a subforum of the subforum is possible.
(02-01-2016, 12:30 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Or maybe Neb doesn't want to have to sift through 2-3 pages of posts where a select group of posters try and derail the thread

Like turning a Planned Parenthood thread into a eugenics thread?

Please, we are all guilty of the behaviors he is discussing. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Calling out each other in a thread about ending personal attacks is pretty foolish. Why don't you two take a day to think about it.

I'm letting your posts stay for a day so that people will know exactly why you are being given a time out.

As for the Smack P&R idea, I will discuss it with the other mods.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-01-2016, 12:22 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Calling out each other in a thread about ending personal attacks is pretty foolish. Why don't you two take a day to think about it.

I'm letting your posts stay for a day so that people will know exactly why you are being given a time out.

As for the Smack P&R idea, I will discuss it with the other mods.

I guess it is. My point is "we're all guilty of the behaviors". Cause we are. Glass houses.

Do what you gotta do,
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]