Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal attacks need to stop
(01-31-2016, 10:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: I respectfully disagree.  if poster says something in one thread it should be fair game in another thread if they continue the though process (or lack there of).

If a poster makes a claim in one thread but can't back it up (repeatedly) they should be allowed to be called out when they make a claim in another thread.

These posts don't happen in a vacuum.  Many of us have been posting to and with each other for ten years.  Its foolish to think nothing said before should n't be allowed to be brought up ever again in my opinion.

My point is not that a person can never reference a prior tread or post. My point is about how that reference is done. For example, there is a big difference between saying "We have discussed this before and..." or saying "You always say...". I believe that you and most of the posters in here are astute enough to see the difference.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-01-2016, 01:24 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: My point is not that a person can never reference a prior tread or post. My point is about how that reference is done. For example, there is a big difference between saying "We have discussed this before and..." or saying "You always say...". I believe that you and most of the posters in here are astute enough to see the difference.

I agree there are better/different ways to say it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-01-2016, 12:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I guess it is. My point is "we're all guilty of the behaviors". Cause we are. Glass houses.

Do what you gotta do,

"Guilty of the behaviors"? Perhaps, to a degree. But not guilty of the extremes. And the extremes are expressed in attacking the other poster rather than their post.
This is what is destroying America.  The Politcal Correctness Nazi Stormtroopers are trying to take away our God-given Constitutional right to insult each other on a personal level.

This is why our sons are wearing dresses and we elect a President who grovels before foreign leaders.

[Image: donald-trump_3.jpg]

“I think if this country gets any kinder or gentler, it’s literally going to cease to exist.” ( Playboy)
(02-01-2016, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is what is destroying America.  The Politcal Correctness Nazi Stormtroopers are trying to take away our God-given Constitutional right to insult each other on a personal level.

This is why our sons are wearing dresses and we elect a President who grovels before foreign leaders.

“I think if this country gets any kinder or gentler, it’s literally going to cease to exist.” ( Playboy, March 1990)

Nervous  
(02-01-2016, 01:38 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: "Guilty of the behaviors"? Perhaps, to a degree. But not guilty of the extremes. And the extremes are expressed in attacking the other poster rather than their post.

At some point though, when t becomes obvious that the other poster is just trying to rile people up (and admits that) why not make fun of them a bit?

I certainly don't mind when things are brought back up to me.
(02-01-2016, 01:38 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: "Guilty of the behaviors"? Perhaps, to a degree. But not guilty of the extremes. And the extremes are expressed in attacking the other poster rather than their post.

Gotcha. The behaviors I was referring to is derailing, but I see you're referring to straight out attacks.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-01-2016, 01:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: At some point though, when t becomes obvious that the other poster is just trying to rile people up (and admits that) why not make fun of them a bit?

I certainly don't mind when things are brought back up to me.

I can dig where you are coming from. But there is a playfulness aspect to that (like me and Sloppy used to engage in on the old board). I'm just a little concerned about the seeming animosity building here between some posters.

(02-01-2016, 01:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Gotcha. The behaviors I was referring to is derailing, but I see you're referring to straight out attacks.

Right on, Shake.

[Image: ricky-bobby-shake-and-bake.jpg]

Just trying to curtail the "mean" stuff.

Of course, derailing is sort of the ultimate destination for most P&R threads in my experience. As people run out of ammo for their point, they do the tactical sidestep (Obviously, I know this from experience!). Pointing out the sidestep and the lack of ammo is only natural, IMO.
I will personally eviscerate the character of each and every one of you and there ain't and damn thing you can do about it. Rant
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(02-01-2016, 04:58 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I will personally eviscerate the character of each and every one of you and there ain't and damn thing you can do about it.   Rant

"Eeee-viscerate"?

Is that some sort of Sex'l innuendo, there?
So calling an individual a "conservative caucus sucker" is frowned upon, but it's okay to call all conservatives "caucus suckers" up in this lefty circle jerk?
(01-31-2016, 09:38 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Some on this board tend to go out of their way to attack others and it really needs to stop or this little subsection is going to turn into a lefty circle jerk even more than it already is.

So please, talk about the topic of the OP and leave your personal biases out of it.

how can we talk religion and politics without personal bias?
(02-01-2016, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is what is destroying America.  The Politcal Correctness Nazi Stormtroopers are trying to take away our God-given Constitutional right to insult each other on a personal level.

“I think if this country gets any kinder or gentler, it’s literally going to cease to exist.” ( Playboy)

You know what's funny?  In 2009 Obama mocked the Special Olympics and not a single Republican (that I know of) said "Way to go, Obama...now this guy is showing some fire!  Man, I believe in this guy now.  Look at him stand up to the wimpy liberal agenda and PC nonsense! NOW I believe he can go into the Middle East and make those jerks bow to his power!"

So when Obama is un-PC it's a shame and a sham and shows he's a cold jerk.  I guess Obama was just mocking the disabled before it made someone awesome to do so!

Why are you talking about Will Smith's son?
(02-01-2016, 05:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You know what's funny?  In 2009 Obama mocked the Special Olympics and not a single Republican (that I know of) said "Way to go, Obama...now this guy is showing some fire!  Man, I believe in this guy now.  Look at him stand up to the wimpy liberal agenda and PC nonsense!  NOW I believe he can go into the Middle East and make those jerks bow to his power!"

So when Obama is un-PC it's a shame and a sham and shows he's a cold jerk.  I guess Obama was just mocking the disabled before it made someone awesome to do so!

Was that when he compared his bowling to the Special Olympics?

Very un-PC of him.
(02-01-2016, 05:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: Was that when he compared his bowling to the Special Olympics?

Very un-PC of him.

So I guess the people who currently think Trump's zeal for being offensive makes him prime-president material really got on the Obama bandwagon after that, right? Ninja
(02-01-2016, 05:16 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So calling an individual a "conservative caucus sucker" is frowned upon, but it's okay to call all conservatives "caucus suckers" up in this lefty circle jerk?

Neither is really good but it's a very fine line. The topics broached in PnR are mostly sensitive ones. And are largely opinion based. Sex, race, religion — all very personal topics to be discussed. And sometimes posters put their opinions and information out here and get lauded for it. Other times they get mocked. It seems like the Mod Team ™ has had to clear this up before, but, for the most part, if PnR is going to exist, it's going to require some self-restraint by those who post here.

In your example, both violate the CoC. But we try to give some leeway if instead of saying someone is a "conservative caucus sucker" it was said "[members of this political/religious/etc group] are wrong because [personal opinion]." Obviously, saying someone is "wrong" comes across a bit more colorful. And given the nature of the topics, it's usually more colorful the more passionate a person is about a subject.

We all have hot button issues and topics. Myself included. If a person can't discuss an issue without being negatively demonstrative, then it might be best to avoid the subject.

(02-01-2016, 05:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: how can we talk religion and politics without personal bias?

You can't. Both, mostly, are opinion.

The issue isn't with the personal bias, it's with personal attacks.

I'll remind everyone again, PnR exists because there is an interest and because the topics contribute to the community. If it stops contributing, if it's just going to be arguing and complaining and discord until August, it has no place.

This is the Bengals Board. Have some class. To quote the founder of the team, "You don't live in Cleveland."
(02-01-2016, 06:31 PM)Benton Wrote: Neither is really good but it's a very fine line. The topics broached in PnR are mostly sensitive ones. And are largely opinion based. Sex, race, religion — all very personal topics to be discussed. And sometimes posters put their opinions and information out here and get lauded for it. Other times they get mocked. It seems like the Mod Team ™ has had to clear this up before, but, for the most part, if PnR is going to exist, it's going to require some self-restraint by those who post here.

In your example, both violate the CoC. But we try to give some leeway if instead of saying someone is a "conservative caucus sucker" it was said "[members of this political/religious/etc group] are wrong because [personal opinion]." Obviously, saying someone is "wrong" comes across a bit more colorful. And given the nature of the topics, it's usually more colorful the more passionate a person is about a subject.

We all have hot button issues and topics. Myself included. If a person can't discuss an issue without being negatively demonstrative, then it might be best to avoid the subject.

I'll remind everyone again, PnR exists because there is an interest and because the topics contribute to the community. If it stops contributing, if it's just going to be arguing and complaining and discord until August, it has no place.

This is the Bengals Board. Have some class. To quote the founder of the team, "You don't live in Cleveland."

no i agree. was just using the ops wording... At least be classy if you gotta insult someone... but its really impossible to insult an on screen persona you can just insult your perception of that person they present here. which may or may not directly coorelate to themselves as a person.

Blatant attacks on not a good way to do business. (its better if you can do it without them knowning lol)

But calling people out on their BS has to be allowed. or we are gonna need more shovels.
(02-01-2016, 06:31 PM)Benton Wrote: Neither is really good but it's a very fine line. The topics broached in PnR are mostly sensitive ones. And are largely opinion based. Sex, race, religion — all very personal topics to be discussed. And sometimes posters put their opinions and information out here and get lauded for it. Other times they get mocked. It seems like the Mod Team ™ has had to clear this up before, but, for the most part, if PnR is going to exist, it's going to require some self-restraint by those who post here.

I appreciate the answer, but I was just joking.
(02-01-2016, 06:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: no i agree.  was just using the ops wording...  At least be classy if you gotta insult someone...  but its really impossible to insult an on screen persona    you can just insult your perception of that person they present here. which may or may not directly coorelate to themselves as a person.

Blatant attacks on not a good way to do business.  (its better if you can do it without them knowning lol)

But calling people out on their BS has to be allowed. or we are gonna need more shovels.

To the bold, Ah, gotcha.  ThumbsUp

As far as calling out BS, it's encouraged. Even if I'm the BS'er (in terms of PnR topics anyway). That's part of the forum. And, hopefully, it helps people have a better (if not new) perspective about a topic.