Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hillary tries to be Bernie with Fast Food Workers; Supports fight for $15 an hour
(06-08-2015, 09:38 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: A big question about a minimum wage increase I have is what will the government do for those on Social Security, welfare and food stamps? Will these people get their benefits increased to match what minimum wage is?

The government would have to raise these programs or people and families will starve in my opinion.

Just depends on the rate and state requirements. Most often, an increase moves people off of some social aid, which, overall, is better as that requires less bureaucracy. 

In other words, if you increase the minimum wage by $2 and that takes 20 percent off food stamps, then you have fewer social aide workers needed to oversee those 20 percent of benefits.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-08-2015, 09:38 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: A big question about a minimum wage increase I have is what will the government do for those on Social Security, welfare and food stamps? Will these people get their benefits increased to match what minimum wage is?

SS benefits are tied to inflation.  Other benefits such as welfare are determined, in part, by your income relative to qualification levels (i.e. the "poverty level").

So minimum wage really has nothing to do with SS, and for other programs earning more means you'd receive less benefits....although I don't know much about the calculations and relation to income (and children, among other credits).  But one of the arguments you'll see is there's no incentive to go work for $15k a year if you can receive $15k in govt benefits.  Although for someone not disabled there are few programs you can collect indefinitely from. 

Of course, there actually isn't a large number of jobs making minimum wage, but many more that might be $1-$2 above the minimum wage.  The hope is raising the minimum raises those wages, but I'm not sure about that.  So raising the min. wage just $2 probably won't have the impact some would hope.  $12 is probably around the right number.
(06-07-2015, 06:03 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Hillary is just looking around the landscape and pandering to get votes.

I kind of hate when people ascribe a negative motivation to someone without proof. Hillary has put this as one of the 4 pillars of her election platform. Add to that the fact that the lower and middle class saw improvements in income and quality of life under the Clintons and one could say this is sincerely something she cares about. 

Also, why is it Democrats always get accused of pandering, but then also take of the cause of some pretty unpopular issues. How does that work?

(06-09-2015, 06:09 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: I kind of hate when people ascribe a negative motivation to someone without proof. Hillary has put this as one of the 4 pillars of her election platform. Add to that the fact that the lower and middle class saw improvements in income and quality of life under the Clintons and one could say this is sincerely something she cares about. 

Also, why is it Democrats always get accused of pandering, but then also take of the cause of some pretty unpopular issues. How does that work?

Morons always need someone to blame.
(06-07-2015, 07:32 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Don't forget to add housing, discounted life insurance, free medical care, and veterans benefits.

But, by the same token, many soldiers have hazardous jobs. Especially during wartime.

Yeah I think that's pretty common knowledge. Tongue
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

So if we were to raise minimum wage to $15, I'm sure they will reduce taxes because so many fewer people will be receiving government benefits. Right?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-09-2015, 10:40 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So if we were to raise minimum wage to $15, I'm sure they will reduce taxes because so many fewer people will be receiving government benefits.  Right?

Nahhhh....after you raise minimum wage, then you have to raise the poverty floor so you can INCREASE (rather than decrease) govt benefits.
As others have said, an appropriate minimum wage depends on the location.

I do believe that anybody working full time in America should be able to survive.

I do not think someone working at McDonald's in Idaho needs 15 bucks an hour to survive.
(06-07-2015, 06:03 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The difference between Hillary and Bernie, is he's been fighting this fight his entire career, it's not just lip service from him. Hillary is just looking around the landscape and pandering to get votes.

And there you have it sports fans.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.