Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perspective
(12-16-2020, 12:57 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: He's a great salesman, I'll give him that much.

Is he, or did he just convince one lazy owner to hire him?  Mike Brown got a 1st and a 2nd round pick for a self-retired Carson Palmer, that was a damn fine move, but it sure wasn't the beginning of this front office being a top-of-the-line unit.  Nah, Hue Jackson was just a dope.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 03:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is he, or did he just convince one lazy owner to hire him?  Mike Brown got a 1st and a 2nd round pick for a self-retired Carson Palmer, that was a damn fine move, but it sure wasn't the beginning of this front office being a top-of-the-line unit.  Nah, Hue Jackson was just a dope.

And we added what Kirkpatrick and Bernard with those picks? Kirkpatrick rode the bench until the year before he was a free agent, got a contract extension and was an average CB.

Bernard - Well, he's been about the 40th best back in the league or so. Never close to 1000 yards rushing. Decent team guy. Blocks well for a back. Defends the worst coach in the league at press conferences.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 03:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It was a bad list of candidates, but other teams hired good ones. Some teams hire search firms to handle their HC searches. I think that would be a good option here.

It was a weird year for coaching hires. Most of the teams had their guy and you didn't see 2-3 teams compete for a guy.

McDaniels left the Colts at the alter and they ended up with Reich. We just missed on Zac and missed on our list in general. We interviewed way too many guys with ties to the team. Bill Lazor? Really?

We only know of the eight candidates that were interviewed. We don't know of the candidates who the Bengals reached out to but weren't interested to even be interviewed.

Some people may hate to hear it, but some candidates may not have an interest to coach for the Bengals and/or live in Cincinnati.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 03:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is he, or did he just convince one lazy owner to hire him?  Mike Brown got a 1st and a 2nd round pick for a self-retired Carson Palmer, that was a damn fine move, but it sure wasn't the beginning of this front office being a top-of-the-line unit.  Nah, Hue Jackson was just a dope.

I'm with you. He isn't a great salesman or talker. It's all empty nonsensical speak when he babbles about culture and building something special. It's not impressive. The Brown family, Tobin, and anyone involved in hiring Taylor blew it.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 04:13 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm with you. He isn't a great salesman or talker. It's all empty nonsensical speak when he babbles about culture and building something special. It's not impressive. The Brown family, Tobin, and anyone involved in hiring Taylor blew it.

I will say of all the crazy "IF WE DO X THEN Y IS GONNA HAPPEN AND THEN YOU"LL BE SORRY!" things we've warned, the fear that firing Marvin may lead us back to the 1990s seems to have come true for the time being.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 03:01 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think Zac has reached a point, where as fans, it's not even worth analyzing such things anymore. "Why won't he call a screen?!?" type stuff is better saved for when there is an actual chance of winning. Zac has returned the Bengals to the 1990s where, as a fan, you're just waiting for the next Bungle moment. 

His post game conferences are worse than typical coach-speak. He spews empty rhetoric and I wonder if he actually believes the positive spin he tries to thrust into his answers. Also, he's not one to usually have himself or his coaches take accountability for loss after loss. Yes, he recently said, "It's on me," but he usually is more apt to point out player mistakes. Zac is not what some think him to be, a leader. He's not a good leader and he's not a good coach. I'm older than Zac & he just strikes me as a young dude not prepared for his profession. He should still be a QB coach somewhere else.

Anyhow /endrant & you're right, he's not good at any one thing.

I didn't feel this way heading in to the pittsburgh game.  Three straight games of 30+ points.  I thought, even if they lost, that there would be a "wow, this kid and this offense are going to be scary good", but it was an exercise in futility.  I excused it against the Ravens, but pitt looked like they were playing against a JV offense, and that was where the season just went Ka-THUNK!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I will say of all the crazy "IF WE DO X THEN Y IS GONNA HAPPEN AND THEN YOU"LL BE SORRY!" things we've warned, the fear that firing Marvin may lead us back to the 1990s seems to have come true for the time being.

May lead us? Eek, I think we're already there dude. The last two seasons have felt like the '90s.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 04:25 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't feel this way heading in to the pittsburgh game.  Three straight games of 30+ points.  I thought, even if they lost, that there would be a "wow, this kid and this offense are going to be scary good", but it was an exercise in futility.  I excused it against the Ravens, but pitt looked like they were playing against a JV offense, and that was where the season just went Ka-THUNK!

Yeah, I tried to keep my positivity as well. Like many, the Burrow injury did me in. 
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2020, 04:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I will say of all the crazy "IF WE DO X THEN Y IS GONNA HAPPEN AND THEN YOU"LL BE SORRY!" things we've warned, the fear that firing Marvin may lead us back to the 1990s seems to have come true for the time being.

marvin had gained some control in the FO... 

If hue hadn't left (stayed to be the successor as planned) Marvin might be our GM now
Reply/Quote