Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perspective
Last year Pittsburgh went into Buffalo and beat them 23-16 on week one… Bills recovered.

This was a terrible performance, but every year there are a bunch of hot takes after the first game.

This team made every possible mistake you can think of and still almost won… they were not prepared.

We’ve had great Septembers with Carson and Andy. It didn’t translate to the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
It's early. On the one hand this just has a feeling of a game we let slip thru our fingers. It especially hurts because I think it was oline, QB play and coaching errors that caused the loss. But the team rallied back and would've won without Clark Harris getting hurt. 

But to your post to put it in perspective. How many games did we let slip thru our fingers last year? Probably at least 3 that we should've won. So I think we will be okay. But it might take a week or two as next week won't be easy either.
Reply/Quote
-5 Turnover diff just doesn't win.

In alot of ways, we beat ourselves. But it was many ways...which is the troubling part.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:33 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: It's early. On the one hand this just has a feeling of a game we let slip thru our fingers. It especially hurts because I think it was oline, QB play and coaching errors that caused the loss. But the team rallied back and would've won without Clark Harris getting hurt. 

But to your post to put it in perspective. How many games did we let slip thru our fingers last year? Probably at least 3 that we should've won. So I think we will be okay. But it might take a week or two as next week won't be easy either.

I think we gotta beat Dallas. Going 0-2 would mean we need to finish 10-5 for playoffs. That's tough.
Reply/Quote
I’m not worried at all. Sure, we should have done better in terms of getting a starting caliber left guard out there. But we’ll be fine.

I never realized how important our long snapper was. What a legend. We need two lady bengal fans to help him heal faster. Make him feel appreciated. Fulfill his dream.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I looked up the stat, roughly 80% of teams win if they win the turnover battle (so that means even just by 1 turnover).

It's been like 20 years (I think) since a -5 won a game.

It was 42 years since a team was +2 turnover and lost the super bowl (hehe, argh, too soon).

Turnover battle also means the defense has to create a turnover. They did well enough, but we need turnovers or sacks.

I put most of the pressure on Burrow, if you're so good (which he is), you can handle it, you need to do better - we expect much better out of someone who is capable.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:33 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: It's early. On the one hand this just has a feeling of a game we let slip thru our fingers. It especially hurts because I think it was oline, QB play and coaching errors that caused the loss. But the team rallied back and would've won without Clark Harris getting hurt. 

That's true, but we had that feeling last year too sometimes I'm pretty sure. Evan made sure we didn't feel that as much as other teams would have. We just need to make the playoffs, judging by only week 1, I don't think we will have the #1 seed lol.

At the end of the day it's just football and we probably should have won that ring last year lol. For some reason thsi game reminds me of karate kid 3 quote, now the real pain begins danny boy. Where everyone takes their shot at the AFC champs.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we gotta beat Dallas. Going 0-2 would mean we need to finish 10-5 for playoffs. That's tough.

Look at our games before the bye. It's hard after the loss but I think they are all winnable. If we go 7-2 before the bye then we only need .500 after. So if we lose to Dallas and end up 6-3 then we just need to do better in the back half. Which Tennessee and New England don't look as tough as maybe they did before week 1.
Reply/Quote
The fact that we were -5 in the turnover category and were still a long snapper away from winning, twice, is a testament of sorts to the team's grit.

It sucks to lose the opener, it sucks to lose to the Steelers, but it's early.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It’s how they lost.

The O was completely out of sync and a lot of that was on the offensive line. Burrows appendectomy also took its toll today.

Like, I know that my mind is telling me that the ship will be righted by the very guy who has 5 turnovers today, but there’s Just so much to clean up that it’s going to take a month to get most of this right. They start out 0-4 or 1-3 it’s going to be a rough climb with the schedule they have.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 09:23 PM)maclanta Wrote: Last year Pittsburgh went into Buffalo and beat them 23-16 on week one… Bills recovered.

This was a terrible performance, but every year there are a bunch of hot takes after the first game.

This team made every possible mistake you can think of and still almost won… they were not prepared.

We’ve had great Septembers with Carson and Andy. It didn’t translate to the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it hurts a little more because (1) it was Pittsburgh and (2) because of the elation of scoring a TD while down 6 on what probably would have been the last play of the game (if Chase doesn't catch it, time may well have run out). It was a remarkable high. And then watching the extra point missed, from the unit we had our most confidence in (x-tra points and FGs). Like walking off a cliff.
Reply/Quote
Had the Bengals had their long Snapper,It’s virtually a sure thing they would have won that game,even with 5 turnovers,and 7sacks.Last season they proved,against the Titans,that you can still win,even if your Quarterback gets sacked 9 times.I just gotta say,I’m not especially impressed with the way the Bengals handled their OL issues from last season.
Reply/Quote