Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pete Rose Booed in Philly
Rose and his Philadelphia 1980 teammates celebrated their championship today. Rose was booed because he has been accused of sex with a 14 year old girl 55 years ago. Rose replied she was 16. I am disappointed that Rose did this. He was my childhood idol. Until now.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I was a Pete Rose nut in 1975 or whatever. I've lost a lot of the love I had for him through the years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not to attack you or completely defend Pete but this is time machine mentality. Sounds gross, now, but if what he says is true, it was the norm back then. There are tons of groupie stories from the 70s and early 80s where 15 year old runaways would be hanging out in big clubs, many getting picked up by touring musicians. You don't hear of any of that now with bouncers at the doors checking IDs. My parents ran a pretty hot Covington bar in the early 70s and plenty of Reds and Bengals came by until it got taken over later by bikers. A couple of shoot outs and a run in with a crooked cop forced him to sell, but they told me lots of crazy shit from the 70s club scene and there were plenty of under aged girls mentioned. I believe the age of consent was still 16 at the time. The 70s was a lot closer to the Wild West than we'd like to think.

These aren't any of the wild stories but I had a totally flaming gay uncle that owned a bar down the street(not a gay bar) and ran it with his equally flaming partner named "Peaches". When Alice Cooper came through town, he'd often wind up there wasted for a couple of days, fully in make-up and top hat back before he got sober. Ken Anderson's Dad owned a small place around the corner heading the other direction near Pike and Washington I believe and, one time, Ken Anderson watched the bar and baby sat me for a couple of hours while his parents and my parents went to dinner or a movie or something. We often scored free Reds tickets from their awesome connections.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Philly can kiss my ass.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I went to a Colorado Rockies game with a guy from Philly.

Most of the crowd around us was calmly eating trail mix and drinking craft beers. But Rory was behaving exactly like the stereotypical asshole from Philly. And he was trashing the Philies worse than the Rockies.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2022, 11:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I went to a Colorado Rockies game with a guy from Philly.

Most of the crowd around us was calmly eating trail mix and drinking craft beers.  But Rory was behaving exactly like the stereotypical asshole from Philly.  And he was trashing the Philies worse than the Rockies.

Truth!

I've been to Coors Field & lived in CO. You could have also added most of the crowd wasn't even watching the ballgame. 
Reply/Quote
There was a rumor back in the early 90's that Pedro Guerrero was banging a girl at my high school when he came to town. May not be true, but why would anyone make something that random up?

That shit is far from okay, but it was probably a lot more prominent that people want to think.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2022, 09:01 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Truth!

I've been to Coors Field & lived in CO. You could have also added most of the crowd wasn't even watching the ballgame. 

Coor Field opened in the middle of the Micro-Brewery boom and it was big in Colorado.  They had some good craft beers at Coors Field.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2022, 01:55 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Rose and his Philadelphia 1980 teammates celebrated their championship today. Rose was booed because he has been accused of sex with a 14 year old girl 55 years ago. Rose replied she was 16. I am disappointed that Rose did this. He was my childhood idol. Until now.

1. That would make it 1967.  This is coming out 55 years later ?  It doesn't pass the smell test.  And this modern day America where you are Guilty just because someone accused you of something. What happened to USA innocent until proven Guilty ?  Now I am 67 so I can say this, this woman would now be 69 or 70 and maybe the cheese is falling off the cracker.  In her old age she imagines things, it's possible.  I know many older people who on trying to remember things long ago, are way off, and I have to tell them that is not how it happened at all, not even close.  Over the years they have confused dreams with reality.  So why 55 years later ?  Maybe this old woman is having Senior Moments of Confusion ?  What happened to USA Innocent until Proven Guilty ?  

2.  Philly Boo's everybody.  Richie Allen use to wright BOO in the infield dirt with his cleats when he played first base in Philly.  I do not blame Curt Flood for fighting the trade to Philly from St Louis.  Maybe if it was The Dodgers or somebody, maybe Curt Flood wouldn't have been the player that began to open up Free Agency and make The Players Union stronger.   Philly Boo's everybody. 

3.  The Phillies DO NOT win the 1980 World Series without Pete Rose.  They had Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton but they had them and never won anything.  Adding Pete Rose is what brought The World Championship to Philly.  I would point out a play in the World Series where 2 Phillies  are together, and they drop the ball, but Pete Rose backing up the play as he always did with Reds, Pete catches the ball the other Phillies dropped. That was a big play and a big out in that World Series.  The Phillies DO NOT win the World Series in 1980 without Pete Rose.  I would add the Detroit Tigers DO NOT win the World Series without adding Sparky Anderson, in fact The Reds DO NOT win the World Series without adding Sparky Anderson. 

4.  Fans Boo.  Jackie Robinson said the worst city he was ever treated was Cincinnati, the most Southern team at the time.  I heard Reds Fans BOO Johnny Bench during his divorce and yell out that he was Gay.  I heard Reds Fans Boo Joe Morgan just 2 years after he had won Back To Back MVP Awards during Reds only Back to Back World Series Wins.  2 players who should have NEVER had Reds Fans BOO him.  I heard Bengals Fans BOO Ken Anderson as he laid on the field injured at start of 1981 Season.  Anderson came back to be MVP and take Bengals to their first Super Bowl, and it showed how STUPID The Fans are.  So there have been times that I was ashamed of some of the So Called Fans at Reds or Bengals Games.  That they say they have the right to Boo does not mean they were not acting like ignorant morons. I felt the Fans behavior at the Bengals vs Steelers Play-Off Game in 2015 season was not a shinning moment  

Now Pete Rose was honored in Cincinnati and MLB allowed Pete Rose Day, #14 retired, and the next year the Pete Rose Statue Day.  THAT may be as good as it gets for Pete.  He is in The Reds Hall of Fame and Pete is Honored in Cincinnati and so Pete may have to take that and accept not being honored in Philly, or Cooperstown New York.   

Pete Rose passed Stan Musial and Ty Cobb in Hits.  Doubtful anybody ever passes Pete Rose in Hits.  Pete was an All Star at 2nd Base, Left Field, Right Field, Center Field, 3rd Base and 1st Base in his career.  He was called Charlie Hustle for his all out play.  In 1960's, players from the 1930's said they didn't like the modern day players, but they did like Pete Rose because he played the game hard the way their generation did.  Merv Rettmound was an All-Star in the American League, but on traded to Cincinnati was on the bench as Pete started in Left, but he said he didn't mind because he gets to see THE BEST Player in Baseball everyday in Pete Rose. ......So since Pete Rose Gambling was as a Manager after he stopped playing, in my mind I can separate Pete Rose The Player who was Great, and Pete Rose The Manager who was Lousy due to Gambling.  As for this 55 years old sex accusation just now coming out, I question why 55 years later, and an accusation is not a courtroom verdict. People should attend some Sex Harassment Seminars, they might learn something. Where I worked they were mandatory.  Sex Harassment has a lot of Gray Areas for The Mediators to go through. Often there is not a clear cut case.  Sometimes the person is guilty and sometimes the person is wrongfully accused and the accuser is guilty of slander. More often both parties could have behaved better, as per The Mediators.  One thing these Seminars teach is to behave yourselves, but also that Nobody is Guilty just because they have been Accused.  That last part is important because most of The Modern Day National Enquirer Reading Americans are stupid enough to believe everything they hear, and fail to understand that Nobody is Guilty just because they have been Accused. This is NOT Communist Russia, I Hope. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2022, 10:19 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Not to attack you or completely defend Pete but this is time machine mentality. Sounds gross, now, but if what he says is true, it was the norm back then. There are tons of groupie stories from the 70s and early 80s where 15 year old runaways would be hanging out in big clubs, many getting picked up by touring musicians. You don't hear of any of that now with bouncers at the doors checking IDs. My parents ran a pretty hot Covington bar in the early 70s and plenty of Reds and Bengals came by until it got taken over later by bikers. A couple of shoot outs and a run in with a crooked cop forced him to sell, but they told me lots of crazy shit from the 70s club scene and there were plenty of under aged girls mentioned. I believe the age of consent was still 16 at the time. The 70s was a lot closer to the Wild West than we'd like to think.

These aren't any of the wild stories but I had a totally flaming gay uncle that owned a bar down the street(not a gay bar) and ran it with his equally flaming partner named "Peaches". When Alice Cooper came through town, he'd often wind up there wasted for a couple of days, fully in make-up and top hat back before he got sober. Ken Anderson's Dad owned a small place around the corner heading the other direction near Pike and Washington I believe and, one time, Ken Anderson watched the bar and baby sat me for a couple of hours while his parents and my parents went to dinner or a movie or something. We often scored free Reds tickets from their awesome connections.

I don't even think you have to go that far back or bring up famous stories to see this sort of thing.  I graduated from high school in 2000 and I distinctly remember a lot of girls, mostly the trailer park ones, getting picked up after school by dudes in their 20's and beyond.

When I was 20 years old I had an uncle who had a friend who tried to set me up with his 14 year old daughter.  A lot of people still operate under the idea that stuff like this is no big deal.
Reply/Quote