Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peter King on Whitworth
(12-14-2017, 05:50 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What makes this even more disturbing is how loyal Mike has been throughout his tenure. How many less deserving guys has he kept around (*cough*Merv*cough*) yet he won't pay Whitworth what he deserves?

They Offered Whit a 1 year deal... he wanted a longer one.

Love how things get changed as time goes.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 05:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Oh please when has anyone said that.... Whit is probly one of the biggest reasons for the turnaround in LA...

To be fair, I do remember some people saying Whit wasn't playing well after the first game or so.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 05:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To be fair, I do remember some people saying Whit wasn't playing well after the first game or so.

Guilty!  Somehow I thought that pointing out that Whitworth had a poor game would ease some of the pain that we were enduring with Ogbuehi attempting to play LT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 05:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To be fair, I do remember some people saying Whit wasn't playing well after the first game or so.

The only thing I remember really being said was that even with Whit we had a bad OL last year.

But its just the nature of the beast in the NFL.. Whit is great we would have loved to keep him I'm sure. a real leader of the team.  but if we kept whit and kept our 1st and 2nd rounders on the bench another year.  then we would have to make a decision to pay them without ever seeing them play....  And that while it didn't turn out great to start was important.

I believe whit when he vouched for Obg   Remember fellas Whit was not an all pro his first few seasons either.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 07:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The only thing I remember really being said was that even with Whit we had a bad OL last year.

But its just the nature of the beast in the NFL.. Whit is great we would have loved to keep him I'm sure. a real leader of the team.  but if we kept whit and kept our 1st and 2nd rounders on the bench another year.  then we would have to make a decision to pay them without ever seeing them play....  And that while it didn't turn out great to start was important.

I believe whit when he vouched for Obg   Remember fellas Whit was not an all pro his first few seasons either.

As Sunset and i said we were two that did point out that Whit had a poor first game as a Ram and it was true.

He did have a poor game. But he really started to play well after that which makes me feel we probably should of
gave him the same deal he got from the Rams and we might not be in this situation.

Still, i do agree that it takes time for an OT to come around. Og was never going to be a player of Whit's caliber
this season and it would be unfair to think so. Og has shown improvement, have to give him that.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 05:53 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Oh please when has anyone said that.... Whit is probly one of the biggest reasons for the turnaround in LA...

Bengals had to make a choice.  They already had an heir apparent drafted and went that direction... Most OL guys aren't playing near Whits level at his age.
Their wasn't a choice to make it was simple sign Whit. They didn't because the front office is stupid.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 11:13 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Their wasn't a choice to make it was simple sign Whit. They didn't because the front office is stupid.

Yeah. And I think reality is closer to the Bengals thought Whitworth was going to come back because he played her his entire career and were walking around the combine telling people such...then Whitworth left.

So Ced and Fisher went from being Plan B to Plan A...

So they kind of botched the signing by assuming no team would offer more length of contract.

The 'management supporters' make it sound like the Bengals let Whitworth go because of age and anointed the heir apparent.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 11:11 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Zeitler grades out at 82.9 or Above Average and the #9 Guard currently.

But, fans on these boards like to say that Whitworth and Zeitler are playing terrible for their new teams.  Hilarious

I haven't seen that at all TBH.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2017, 11:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah. And I think reality is closer to the Bengals thought Whitworth was going to come back because he played her his entire career and were walking around the combine telling people such...then Whitworth left.

So Ced and Fisher went from being Plan B to Plan A...

So they kind of botched the signing by assuming no team would offer more length of contract.

The 'management supporters' make it sound like the Bengals let Whitworth go because of age and anointed the heir apparent.

Really?  Where are these management supporters?  You're reading different threads than me.  Seems to me pretty much every thread on these subjects starts and ends with what you're saying above and we're just rehashing.
Reply/Quote
I'm still not certain Whit would have made a difference this year.
Reply/Quote
Whitworth is an anomaly because of his off season conditioning and yoga. That coupled with not having sustained any major injuries means the guy can easily play for 3 or 4 more years. They couldn't afford zeitler I can understand that, but you don't give up arguably the best player and leader on the team because of age when his play hasn't declined. Marvin Lewis knew this and I think losing Whit was possibly his last straw and the best we can hope for now while we still have talent on the team is a new coaching staff that can utilize young talent.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote