Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peters Signed..to play
Guard for the Eagles.

This could have been a great signing for us, Peters could have mentored our young OT's Williams and Johnson while filling a huge need.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2020, 12:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Guard for the Eagles.

This could have been a great signing for us, Peters could have mentored our young OT's Williams and Johnson while filling a huge need.

Thoughts?

glad we passed on him to be honest.. continue to improve our young line... health is a major issue when you are signing older Vets.. besides he signed back with Eagles.. that tells you probably did not get much offers or was always working on a 1 year deal and then retire an Eagle is my guess
Reply/Quote
Big missed opportunity in my book. He'd have been a huge upgrade at RT (and likely LT) for at least another year. And an even bigger upgrade at guard.

Burrow would be better protected his rookie year. I will take that over slowing the development of Fred Johnson by a year.

Though I will say, I have a sneaking suspicion Peters preferred returning to Philly, absent a good offer from a contender, which we are not.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2020, 01:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: glad we passed on him to be honest.. continue to improve our young line... health is a major issue when you are signing older Vets.. besides he signed back with Eagles.. that tells you probably did not get much offers or was always working on a 1 year deal and then retire an Eagle is my guess

This might not be the popular opinion on this message board, but I agree with you.  I'm glad that the team didn't make any rash attempts to bring in Peters.  Sure, he's been a really good player over what's been an impressive career, but would he have been a good fit for the Bengals?  Many on here got really excited when the Bengals paid Cordy Glenn a lot of money to come and rescue the OL, and that one didn't work out so well.

Besides maybe, just maybe, the team really does feel good about moving forward with the OL personnel that we currently have on the roster?  There really has been a lot of quality additions, to what we rolled out there last opening day.  Jonah Williams at T, Fred Johnson at T, Xavier S'ua-Filo at G, Hakeem Adeniji at T/G, and a pair of what many consider high quality UDFAs in Josh Knipfel and Clay Cordasco to compete for depth at G and T, respectively.

Edit: I'm actually happy that the Bengals chose the route that they did, to add players to the OL room, rather than going the "Glamour FA signing" route. First off, should any or all of these guys work out well, it keeps the OL financially viable for a longer period of time. Teams much choose which position groups to over spend on, as they are under a salary cap budget. Secondly, I think that bringing in younger players with skill sets that match what our offense is looking to accomplish, I think that they have a greater chance at "raising their own" rather than trying to get veterans used to a different scheme to adapt. Just my thoughts on the situation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think that if we didn't have this covid crap it could of happened.

Just cannot bring in players if you don't know what shape they are in.

The Eagles know Peters. Made sense for them to bring him back.

Not going to cry over this even if I wanted Peters here.
Reply/Quote
Just never made sense in my mind , we signed a veteran guard in Su’a-Filo who’s 29 and has played guard his whole career vs a 38 year old who hasn’t. Much rather try to develop young players like Michael Jordan at the other guard position, plus we have Price as a backup. Far as tackle you usually only carry 4 on the active roster , And we have Williams , Hart, Johnson and Adeniji, 3 are young and have upside versus keeping a 38 year old for a year with no upside. I’m fine with adding a veteran swing tackle but 38 is just ancient in football years lol.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 11:02 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Just never made sense in my mind , we signed a veteran guard in Su’a-Filo who’s 29 and has played guard his whole career vs a 38 year old who hasn’t. Much rather try to develop young players like Michael Jordan at the other guard position, plus we have Price as a backup. Far as tackle you usually only carry 4 on the active roster , And we have Williams , Hart, Johnson and Adeniji,  3 are young and have upside versus keeping a 38 year old for a year with no upside. I’m fine with adding a veteran swing tackle but 38 is just ancient in football years lol.

The roster has both Johnson and Adeniji listed as G's.  But they do also have Prince, Knipfel, and Dugas listed as T's.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 11:02 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Just never made sense in my mind , we signed a veteran guard in Su’a-Filo who’s 29 and has played guard his whole career vs a 38 year old who hasn’t. Much rather try to develop young players like Michael Jordan at the other guard position, plus we have Price as a backup. Far as tackle you usually only carry 4 on the active roster , And we have Williams , Hart, Johnson and Adeniji,  3 are young and have upside versus keeping a 38 year old for a year with no upside. I’m fine with adding a veteran swing tackle but 38 is just ancient in football years lol.

Yeah, the main reason why I wanted Peters was as a mentor for the young OT's and he said he was willing to play RT.

Still, yes, that is really old in football years. Weird how I am turning 38 this year, I would be ancient if I was playing football ha. Tongue
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 01:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The roster has both Johnson and Adeniji listed as G's.  But they do also have Prince, Knipfel, and Dugas listed as T's.

Interesting, Johnson can play both positions. He played guard and tackle at Florida , played guard for the Steelers and played well the last 2 games at left tackle for the Bengals. There’s a lot of open positions and unknowns on the line anything could happen. Johnson might beat out Hart at RT if he dosen’t maybe he starts at guard because he’s better than Michael Jordan and it gives us the best line up ? Maybe if there’s an injury at guard he’s the first of the bench because he’s better then Price. There’s also a chance Johnson amounts to nothing and is just over hyped. Adeniji is interesting Daniel Jeremiah named him the best value pick for round 5 and Jim Tuner said he had a 2nd round grade on him. Maybe Adeniji surprises and is a dark horse to win the starting RT gig or wins a starting guard spot. Could also end up being a bottom of the roster O-lineman. Prince, Knipfel and Douglas seem like practice squad players to me. Basically anything can happen lol.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2020, 02:33 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Interesting, Johnson can play both positions. He played guard and tackle at Florida , played guard for the Steelers and played well the last 2 games at left tackle for the Bengals. There’s a lot of open positions and unknowns on the line anything could happen. Johnson might beat out Hart at RT if he dosen’t maybe he starts at guard because he’s better than Michael Jordan and it gives us the best line up ? Maybe if there’s an injury at guard he’s the first of the bench because he’s better then Price. There’s also a chance Johnson amounts to nothing and is just over hyped. Adeniji is interesting  Daniel Jeremiah named him the best value pick for round 5 and Jim Tuner said he had a 2nd round grade on him. Maybe Adeniji surprises and is a dark horse to win the starting RT gig or wins a starting guard spot. Could also end up being a bottom of the roster O-lineman. Prince, Knipfel and Douglas seem like practice squad players to me. Basically anything can happen lol.

Clay Cordasco is another guy listed as a Guard, with Tackle size, length, and experience.  Plenty of competition for depth at the Tackle position, as well as versatile players who can play inside or out.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This will be the 5th straight season we've made no big additions and are mostly relying on young guys getting better. Maybe the 5th time is the charm? At least Jonah Williams is supposed to be very good. All that said, signing Peters wouldn't have moved the needle much either, tbh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote