Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peyton Manning his Championship Broncos year on our current offense?
Saw a fun post on IG that listed a bunch of old QBs and it asked which old QB would win a ring with various current offenses.

They had our offense listed with Peyton and it got me thinking….

I’m not sure prime Manning would make this team any better. I’m 100% sure Manning wouldn’t take all the sacks Burrow takes but Manning’s lack of mobility i think would hurt him. Burrow is great for us because he has elite accuracy and he’s got elite escape ability. If he didn’t have both of those i think these bad i lines would’ve ended his career already.

Do y’all think you could plug prime Peyton Manning into this years offense and we still make playoffs?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 09:33 PM)Housh Wrote: Saw a fun post on IG that listed a bunch of old QBs and it asked which old QB would win a ring with various current offenses.

I’m not sure prime Manning would make this team any better. I’m 100% sure Manning wouldn’t take all the sacks Burrow takes but Manning’s lack of mobility i think would hurt him. Burrow is great for us because he has elite accuracy and he’s got elite escape ability. If he didn’t have both of those i think these bad i lines would’ve ended his career already.

Do y’all think you could plug prime Peyton Manning into this years offense and we still make playoffs?

Prime Manning? Absolutely. Old Manning with his last year in Denver, no.
Reply/Quote
Prime Peyton was probably the most consistently accurate passer I've ever seen to all levels of the field. If a receiver got a step or two on a defender, Peyton usually charged them full price.
Reply/Quote
You could put prime Peyton in any offense and would be successful. Same for Burrow though!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Prime Peyton Manning would absolutely take us to the playoffs. Seems like people have already forgotten how great he was because he played at the same time as Brady and retired years before him. Manning was basically an OC and top notch QB at the same time. As good as Joe is pre-snap, he can’t touch what prime Manning was able to do. A few years from now he may pass manning there, but not yet. Manning is one of the very best to ever play the game. Top 5 for sure and he definitely takes us deep in the playoffs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Personally I think Peyton is a better comparison than Brady with Joe. Joe has been given enormous flexibility like Peyton in changing the play. Peyton of course with his hand signals was on a level maybe not seen since Johnny Unitas.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Burrow's best QB Rating was 23% above league average for that year. It's a very good amount.

Peyton's best QB Rating was 51% above league average for that year. He had SEVEN years where he was at least 23% above league average.

Joe Burrow is very good, but he's not one of the greatest QBs of all time good. At least not yet. There's a reason why Peyton was a 5x MVP and 7x 1st Team All-Pro, and people think his career was almost a little disappointing because he won only two SBs.

We talk about how accurate Burrow is. He was 23% above league average in Cmp% in 2021 and 17% above league average in 2022. Peyton Manning was at least 17% 12 times in his career, and at least 23% 7 times.

Give me one of the best QBs of all time and yeah, I think the Bengals make the playoffs. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 09:33 PM)Housh Wrote: Saw a fun post on IG that listed a bunch of old QBs and it asked which old QB would win a ring with various current offenses.

Do y’all think you could plug prime Peyton Manning into this years  offense and we still make playoffs?

I personally think plugging prime Manning into this years offense has him as a favorite for the MVP and fighting for the first seed. We have to remember that Peyton played in a different era of the NFL. In 2004, he posted a 121 QB rating after throwing for 4,600 yards and 49 TDs. He did this on only 497 attempts in an offense that threw the ball 57% of the time. In 2022, the Bengals threw the ball 62.2% of the time. So, he would play in a more pass happy offense, in a pass happy league, with arguably the best receiving core in the entire league. He was also better pre-snap than Joe, so while he isn't the mobile QB that you see a lot of today, he would be able to avoid sacks by knowing what is coming and making the right play more often. 

Peyton Manning's average era adjusted rating during his prime (2002-2009) was right about where Joe's was last season (108.3). His ceiling was 2004, where his era adjusted passer rating would have been closer to 130 in today's game instead of the 121.1 that he posted back then. I think prime Peyton is putting up 5k+ and fighting for 40+ TDs every season he is here. This offense would be a nightmare. 
Reply/Quote

Prime manning wouldn’t make this team better? You mean HOF manning? One of the best QB’s ever Manning? Wait, are you confusing Peyton with Eli? I agree, prime Eli doesn’t make this team better. One of the top 2 best QB’s ever certainly makes this team better.
Reply/Quote
Omaha!
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 10:44 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Prime Peyton Manning would absolutely take us to the playoffs. Seems like people have already forgotten how great he was because he played at the same time as Brady and retired years before him. Manning was basically an OC and top notch QB at the same time. As good as Joe is pre-snap, he can’t touch what prime Manning was able to do. A few years from now he may pass manning there, but not yet. Manning is one of the very best to ever play the game. Top 5 for sure and he definitely takes us deep in the playoffs.

IMO, Prime Peyton is the greatest regular season QB in history. Tom Brady has him on the post season, but Peyton seemed like a lock for 13 wins a season in his peak.
Reply/Quote
I was thinking about it more...

I think only 2 teams in the NFL right now wouldn't make the playoffs if they had prime-of-his-career Peyton Manning as their QB. The Bears and the Texans. That's it. 10-7 guaranteed playoffs last year, so as long as the team has a sorta-competitive roster outside of QB, I wouldn't bet against prime Peyton Manning going 3 over .500.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 02:30 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: IMO, Prime Peyton is the greatest regular season QB in history. Tom Brady has him on the post season, but Peyton seemed like a lock for 13 wins a season in his peak.

I agree 100%. There was a long time where I argued Manning was better than Brady. Once he got to 5+ SB’s it became hard to make that argument though. Brady got it done, but Manning was always more impressive to me with the way he played and adjustments he made. Crazy that those two happened to play at the same time.
Reply/Quote
Manning on this Bengals roster the year the Broncos won a Super Bowl with him would be awful and we'd lose more games. He was really bad to watch over the course of that season. Super star Manning became game manager Manning. If that Manning was on this squad, then we're also seeing Allen helming the QB position since Manning missed time and Brock Osweiler took over for him.

I lived in Colorado when they won that Super Bowl. I remember the local radio stations playing the Manning clip over and over again after they won it all, "Best f'n defense ever!" is what Manning told the team.

Lou has a good defense, but not among the best ever.

Current Burrow > Broncos Super Bowl Winning Manning.

Obviously, prime Manning is a different conversation.
Reply/Quote
I just think Manning would look different with our o line. I know he’s a pre snap god but i don’t think he’d a been able to overcome Prince and Adeniji
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 10:06 AM)Housh Wrote: I just think Manning would look different with our o line. I know he’s a pre snap god but i don’t think he’d a been able to overcome Prince and Adeniji

Last year Broncos Manning would get lit up by defenders. Prime Manning might be able to work some magic! But enough Manning talk, my QB love is reserved for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 09:46 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I agree 100%. There was a long time where I argued Manning was better than Brady. Once he got to 5+ SB’s it became hard to make that argument though. Brady got it done, but Manning was always more impressive to me with the way he played and adjustments he made. Crazy that those two happened to play at the same time.

I always felt like the Brady-Belichick combo was lethal, both complimented each other really well. Brady winning one in Tampa further proved his greatness, but its not like Bruce Arians is a slouch either. Peyton never seemed to have a coach approaching Belichicks ability, not that Tony Dungy sucked, I just wouldn't put him in the same conversation. Not to mention that a lot of those Colts defenses were dreadful. The one season he got a fully healthy Bob Sanders and a decent defensive supporting cast he managed to win the Super Bowl against one of the better defenses of the 2000s decade. I legit think you could of gutted Peyton's offensive coaching staff every year during his prime and got the same results that proceeding season.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 10:06 AM)Housh Wrote: I just think Manning would look different with our o line. I know he’s a pre snap god but i don’t think he’d a been able to overcome Prince and Adeniji

He's one of the greatest to ever do it and he isn't even that old yet. I could maybe understand this if we were talking about a QB from the 70's, but it hasn't even been a decade since Manning retired. Hell, sticking with the decade criteria, he was throwing for 5,477 and 55 TDs 10 years ago. In that same season, Manning had a time to throw of 2.36 seconds - about 6% faster than Burrow this season (2.5 seconds). In 2014, he had a TTT of 2.24 seconds, 11% faster than Burrow. 

He would be an bonafide MVP candidate on this roster and we'd be in the thick of the fight for the #1 seed. An example season of prime Manning if all we did was bump his volume up to Joe Burrow's 2022 volume would be 5,055 yards, 39 TDs and 14 INTs. This isn't even accounting for era adjustments. If we try to do some era adjusting, that turns into...

5,055 yards (stays exactly the same, funny enough. Using Y/A), 41 TDs, 11 INTs. Peyton was also more mobile than you're giving him credit for, but not like Burrow. I think the question should be "Would the Bengals win a Super Bow if prime Peyton was inserted onto this roster?" rather than "Would they make the playoffs?"
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see prime Dan Marino on this team.Shocked

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'd like to see prime Joe Burrow with the 88 Bengals Oline.

And yes we'd win a lot with prime Manning.
Reply/Quote