Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pfizer vaccine..90 percent
In other news, Eli Lilly now has gotten a fast track on their anti body treatment to covid. So there could be two treatments out there. One a vaccine to prevent. And now another by Lilly, if you have it thru a positive test, to treat. The Lilly treatment is said to reduce hospitalization by 70 percent. It's an infusion treatment thru IV.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It was oddly timed to come out right after the election.

Trump should, and rightfully so, get credit for the entire Operation Warp Speed and the efforts to find a vaccine swiftly, even if this one wasn't directly connected with the government.

Like I said, my family wants me to wait a month or two after it comes out just to make sure it's ok, but the people who got it in early in the process will have had it longer than that, so I feel ok about it.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 11:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It was oddly timed to come out right after the election.

Trump should, and rightfully so, get credit for the entire Operation Warp Speed and the efforts to find a vaccine swiftly, even if this one wasn't directly connected with the government.

Like I said, my family wants me to wait a month or two after it comes out just to make sure it's ok, but the people who got it in early in the process will have had it longer than that, so I feel ok about it.

I currently know 10-15 people that have it right now Brad. This time last week I knew none. None of them "high risk"... It's not my business, and I know your people love you and all, but if the FDA says it's cool, I'd get it ASAP if I were you. I fail to see what waiting a month will do, and it'll take a month before you're inoculated or whatever too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 11:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It was oddly timed to come out right after the election.  

Why should Trump get credit if it was not connected?

This seems like Zac Taylor stating he wants to beat the Steelers and then demanding credit when the Ravens do.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see more news on therapeutic breakthroughs.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 11:54 PM)hollodero Wrote: Why should Trump get credit if it was not connected?

This seems like Zac Taylor stating he wants to beat the Steelers and then demanding credit when the Ravens do.

Depends. 

Did Pfizer take advantage of restrictions eased by Trump to produce the drug quickly? 

Reply/Quote

I'd consult a doctor, but a month or two likely won't given you much of an indicator on the long-term effects. Those may not be known for years or decades. Not trying to discourage you, but as far as clinical trials 1 month isn't much different than 1 day.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 12:09 AM)Benton Wrote: I'd consult a doctor, but a month or two likely won't given you much of an indicator on the long-term effects. Those may not be known for years or decades. Not trying to discourage you, but as far as clinical trials 1 month isn't much different than 1 day.

That's exactly what I said.  

I'll still be careful and won't be going into crowded places or anything, and I'll still wear a mask and sanitize most stuff before I touch it, but this would ease me up a great deal just because I feel like I'd get it by some fluke accident at the gym or when people stop to chat while I'm out waving, and it would be tough for my body to fight this.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2020, 11:50 PM)jason Wrote: I currently know 10-15 people that have it right now Brad. This time last week I knew none. None of them "high risk"... It's not my business, and I know your people love you and all, but if the FDA says it's cool, I'd get it ASAP if I were you. I fail to see what waiting a month will do, and it'll take a month before you're inoculated or whatever too.
I'm leaning towards that now.

A month or two won't make a difference, like you said, and it will be nice to be around people again.
(11-10-2020, 11:54 PM)hollodero Wrote: Why should Trump get credit if it was not connected?

Because Trump set the whole thing into motion and eased regulations and everything to help it get finished.  

In those aspects, it was connected, and could be even more connected if the government buys it.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2020, 11:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: this is embarrassing

[Image: 3tY3onS.png]

Wasn't Pfizer the one that was not part of Operation Warp Speed and, thus, not related to Donald Trump in any way?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 10:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Wasn't Pfizer the one that was not part of Operation Warp Speed and, thus, not related to Donald Trump in any way?

They didn’t receive any funds for the development of it, so claims that Trump gets credit for this are weak. They did agree to a $2b deal to distribute it once it was created. While those funds were part of Project Warp Speed, it had nothing to do with the creation of it, just distribution.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 11:19 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They didn’t receive any funds for the development of it, so claims that Trump gets credit for this are weak. They did agree to a $2b deal to distribute it once it was created. While those funds were part of Project Warp Speed, it had nothing to do with the creation of it, just distribution.

So they agreed to sell the vaccine they developed with their own funding (or funding from places other than America and Operation Warp Speed) to America and we used the money allocated under Operation Warp Speed to purchase said vaccine?

Or are they assisting in distribution to all areas with funding from Operation Warp Speed?

It'd be so much simpler if we could just believe what our officials say rather than trying to find the truth behind their claims and out of context remarks...
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 11:29 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So they agreed to sell the vaccine they developed with their own funding (or funding from places other than America and Operation Warp Speed) to America and we used the money allocated under Operation Warp Speed to purchase said vaccine?

Or are they assisting in distribution to all areas with funding from Operation Warp Speed?

It'd be so much simpler if we could just believe what our officials say rather than trying to find the truth behind their claims and out of context remarks...

The $2b was for the government to buy 100m doses. Some companies got the money up front to create it, with the expectation that the federal government would then own the first 100m doses created. Pfizer did not have a deal like that. Simply, we will sell you 100m and you will pay us only when we have delivered the doses. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 12:26 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Because Trump set the whole thing into motion and eased regulations and everything to help it get finished.  

In those aspects, it was connected, and could be even more connected if the government buys it.

I don't really think Trump set much in motion. The idea to work on a vaccine was not put into the world by Trump, the companies imho figured that out on their own.

As for easing regulations, I don't really know. I'd somewhat expect any admin to react to this covid crisis by trying to minimize the administrative hurdles, meaning remove the unnecessary ones and keep the essential ones in place. I don't know if that happened, or if that had any influence on the Pfizer/Biontech advances and their timetable.

My issue with the whole notion is this, there are many scientists, doctors, experts, whatever, at Pfizer and Biontech that made this advances possible. People that sure worked all day every day, without that much pay, whom Trump probably would regard as suckers and losers for being not all that rich. They did the work, they deserve credit, but what is the only thing that comes to people's minds? Let's applaud Trump. Even if he had very little at best to do with anything.
Reply/Quote
So what I heard as far as funding was this. Pfizer was offered 1.4 billion in development by the govt but declined. They then developed on their own and sold doses to the govt for 2 billion. Pfizer actually netted better doing it their way with their own money. That's kind of repeating things but adding in the info of the 1.4.
Reply/Quote
IDK who's trying harder:

Trump to take credit

Folks denying Trump credit,

Bottom line: This is great news but we have to find a way to make it divisive,

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 12:03 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Depends. 

Did Pfizer take advantage of restrictions eased by Trump to produce the drug quickly? 

I don't know of any restrictions that were relieved.

Got any info on that?
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 02:12 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So what I heard as far as funding was this.  Pfizer was offered 1.4 billion in development by the govt but declined. They then developed on their own and sold doses to the govt for 2 billion.  Pfizer actually netted better doing it their way with their own money.  That's kind of repeating things but adding in the info of the 1.4.

Not quite how it works. They signed an agreement to sell 1.9 Billion worth to the U.S. government if in fact, they developed one that worked, meaning if they didn't they got nothing. They took all the risk and made all the investments to make the vaccine without any assurances it would pan out. Even had they accepted the money for development, that did not preclude them from charging the U.S. Government the same 1.9 Billion to buy the vaccine if it worked. 

Moderna for example DID accept money from operation ($955 Million) warp speed to develop their vaccine, but they also signed a 1.5 Billion dollar contract with the government for their vaccine if it worked. Basically, we both paid a company to develop a vaccine in this case then are going to pay them to give us the vaccine we paid them to develop. In contrast Pfizer is just charging us for the vaccine they developed like any company would, which has nothing really to do with "Warp Speed" other than the contracting process got a little easier than normal GSA purchasing.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 12:28 PM)hollodero Wrote: I don't really think Trump set much in motion. The idea to work on a vaccine was not put into the world by Trump, the companies imho figured that out on their own.

As for easing regulations, I don't really know. I'd somewhat expect any admin to react to this covid crisis by trying to minimize the administrative hurdles, meaning remove the unnecessary ones and keep the essential ones in place. I don't know if that happened, or if that had any influence on the Pfizer/Biontech advances and their timetable.

My issue with the whole notion is this, there are many scientists, doctors, experts, whatever, at Pfizer and Biontech that made this advances possible. People that sure worked all day every day, without that much pay, whom Trump probably would regard as suckers and losers for being not all that rich. They did the work, they deserve credit, but what is the only thing that comes to people's minds? Let's applaud Trump. Even if he had very little at best to do with anything.
People criticize his actions on this and a lot called for more lockdowns and things.

There's no reason to think that any other administration would have for even could have handled this as well as the Trump administration.

Vaccines usually take years to complete, so how can you even pretend like Trump's easing regulations and things didn't help a lot?
(11-11-2020, 02:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK who's trying harder:

Trump to take credit

Folks denying Trump credit,

Bottom line: This is great news but we have to find a way to make it divisive,

Trump set this all into motion, even if they weren't in the official government program, so anyone refusing to give Trump credit is obviously just biased with hate.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2020, 05:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: There's no reason to think that any other administration would have for even could have handled this as well as the Trump administration.

Trump lied to the American people about how dangerous the pandemic was.  This caused a lot of people to not take it seriously.  They refused to wear masks or practice social distancing because they did not know how serious of a threat it was.

So the way Trummp handled it made it much worse than it should have been

(11-11-2020, 05:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Vaccines usually take years to complete, so how can you even pretend like Trump's easing regulations and things didn't help a lot?

Because I don't know what regulations he eased.  They may have not had any effect at all.

(11-11-2020, 05:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Trump set this all into motion,

No he didn't.  Every major pharmaceutical on earth knew they could get rich if they came up with a vaccine.  Trump did nothing to get them started working on a vaccine.
Reply/Quote