Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phil Castellini Makes Fun of Disgruntled Fanbase
2-8, worst team in baseball.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 08:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: 2-8, worst team in baseball.

What is it with the Reds and super slow starts to their season ? Like 6 of the last 10 years or so they've dug so big a hole before mid May they can't recover.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2022, 08:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What is it with the Reds and super slow starts to their season ? Like 6 of the last 10 years or so they've dug so big a hole before mid May they can't recover.

I'm not sure. Bell seems to be purely an analytics manager. I wonder to what extent he contributes to the team not being good? It's hard to place it all on Bell though since the roster isn't good. I'm not anti-analytics, but I feel Bell lacks intuition that good managers have for in-game decision making. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 09:36 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm not sure. Bell seems to be purely an analytics manager. I wonder to what extent he contributes to the team not being good? It's hard to place it all on Bell though since the roster isn't good. I'm not anti-analytics, but I feel Bell lacks intuition that good managers have for in-game decision making. 

Right

I'm no Bell fan club member by any stretch. But I feel the problems go beyond just the mgr. And I do agree that Bell lacks that "having a feel for the game" and just goes by the numbers/analytics to much. I believe he's very guilty of overmanaging games at times.

I don't know what the answer is ?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 12:43 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

I'm no Bell fan club member by any stretch. But I feel the problems go beyond just the mgr. And I do agree that Bell lacks that "having a feel for the game" and just goes by the numbers/analytics to much. I believe he's very guilty of overmanaging games at times.

I don't know what the answer is ?

Baseball feels like a broken game, I don't know how to even begin fixing the competitive balance. Castellini's comments do share some truths about the financial differences between teams leading to competitive challenges. Sure, small markets can have good drafts, player development, and some luck to experience success but from year-to-year the big boys like the Dodgers and Yankees get to purchase their way to competitive seasons where the expectation is winning. I just wish MLB could operate more like the NFL. I don't think the Reds had a chance at success in '22 before the first pitch of the season and one offseason draft with a peppering of roster moves isn't going to pay off for success in '23.
Reply/Quote
Success in baseball, like any sport, comes down to players producing. Big contract, little contract, players have to produce. That's on the players.

I do find it interesting most bash ownership for the MOOSE contract, yet in offseason 2020 everyone was happy as could be. Ownerships fault right. Same with Shogo.

Reds fanbase....sign some players, spend some money, 2020 reds spend money, reds dont win. 2021 Reds still dont win, fanbase...stop spending money on these players that dont win... Reds trade players that (A. Dont win, B. Gonna cost them money)......fanbase you didnt spend any money to get better.

Just like:

Bengals suck fire Marvin, Marvin fired, Taylor hired...who???? wins 2 games, Taylor sucks fire Taylor, Bengals dont bring in players.....Taylor wins a few more games, Burrow hurt, Taylor sucks, fire Taylor, Bengals dont spend money.....then..............................we all know.

Maybe fanbase is the problem, and not ownership.
Reply/Quote
LOL. What a dumbass. I'm just fine never attending another game as long as they own it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Baseball is broken and it's been broken for a long time and it's getting worse. Small to mid size markets cannot compete with the large market teams. It doesn't help when you have ownership sticking their foot in their mouth, on opening day no less. The Reds just got swept by the Dodgers in 4 straight. Dodgers 263.5 million dollar 2022 payroll. Reds 111 million dollar 2022 payroll. If the NFL ever gets rid of the cap' God help us all.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 09:13 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Baseball is broken and it's been broken for a long time and it's getting worse. Small to mid size markets cannot compete with the large market teams. It doesn't help when you have ownership sticking their foot in their mouth, on opening day no less. The Reds just got swept by the Dodgers in 4 straight. Dodgers 263.5 million dollar 2022 payroll. Reds 111 million dollar 2022 payroll. If the NFL ever gets rid of the cap' God help us all.

Agree

It's a dying game. It will most likely be a long slow death. But the writing is on the wall IMO.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 09:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

It's a dying game. It will most likely be a long slow death. But the writing is on the wall IMO.

Nah, it will never die completely. It’s too popular in some of the biggest markets in the country (NY, LA, Boston, etc).

Anyway, I’m pretty sure the Reds are never going to win again… LOL

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 02:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah, it will never die completely. It’s too popular in some of the biggest markets in the country (NY, LA, Boston, etc).

Anyway, I’m pretty sure the Reds are never going to win again… LOL

A good season will be just finishing ahead of Pittsburgh to avoid last place in the standings.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 09:13 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Baseball is broken and it's been broken for a long time and it's getting worse. Small to mid size markets cannot compete with the large market teams. It doesn't help when you have ownership sticking their foot in their mouth, on opening day no less. The Reds just got swept by the Dodgers in 4 straight. Dodgers 263.5 million dollar 2022 payroll. Reds 111 million dollar 2022 payroll. If the NFL ever gets rid of the cap' God help us all.

It's not just the cap in football.  It's the enormous TV money that is shared equally.  I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm guessing teams come pretty close to breaking even with just the TV money.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 10:52 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It's not just the cap in football.  It's the enormous TV money that is shared equally.  I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm guessing teams come pretty close to breaking even with just the TV money.

Yes the TV revenue in the NFL is shared equally I believe. i don't think that's the case in MLB. I'll use the Dodger's and the Reds again as an example. The numbers I could find states that the Dodgers have the highest TV revenue with around 330M for the 2022 season. The Reds TV revenue for 2022 is around 48M. Again I believe that revenue is not shared amongst the MLB teams. MLB does have the luxury tax in place. I don't think teams like the Reds will ever have to worry about  paying the tax because their payrolls will fall well below the threshold for the tax to kick in. If I heard correctly, Reds ownership have stated that every penny of profit goes back into the team and the Reds community  fund. If that is true, i wonder how the value of the team continues to rise when they invest all money back into the product. I believe current Reds ownership bought the team for 240M from the Lindner family.  I believe the the current value of the franchise is around 1.2 billion dollars.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 01:40 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Yes the TV revenue in the NFL is shared equally I believe. i don't think that's the case in MLB. I'll use the Dodger's and the Reds again as an example. The numbers I could find states that the Dodgers have the highest TV revenue with around 330M for the 2022 season. The Reds TV revenue for 2022 is around 48M. Again I believe that revenue is not shared amongst the MLB teams. MLB does have the luxury tax in place. I don't think teams like the Reds will ever have to worry about  paying the tax because their payrolls will fall well below the threshold for the tax to kick in. If I heard correctly, Reds ownership have stated that every penny of profit goes back into the team and the Reds community  fund. If that is true, i wonder how the value of the team continues to rise when they invest all money back into the product. I believe current Reds ownership bought the team for 240M from the Lindner family.  I believe the the current value of the franchise is around 1.2 billion dollars.

330 TO 48?  That's rough.  I thought there was now some revenue sharing, but I'm not sure how much.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2022, 02:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: 330 TO 48?  That's rough.  I thought there was now some revenue sharing, but I'm not sure how much.

Yea as I looked more into it, there does seem to be some revenue sharing of the TV money, not sure if it's an equal cut or not, but does make since to do it. Sadly still no cap and most likely won't be one any time soon. I still don't care for the new CBA that just passed, I think they added another round of wildcard playoffs but teams lose a year of player control so players like Hunter Greene might be gone even sooner. The players union has stated that they want teams to bring up their talent even sooner to the majors, not so sure that's a good thing.
Reply/Quote

My boss is a Braves fan.  After opening night I told him how great it feels to see the Reds peak so early in the season and that 1 game over .500 is an accomplishment.  If this team wins 70 games, i'll be impressed.  

---------------------------

Honestly though, I don't think I've cared much about the Reds since Larkin retired.  It's hard to exert energy on team with no aspirations to win.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote

Now 3-13 (.188).

2nd worst win % is the Nationals at 6-12 (.333).

Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2022, 02:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Now 3-13 (.188).

2nd worst win % is the Nationals at 6-12 (.333).

Mellow

Somehow I don't think you'll be doing an RBI Baseball sim come playoffs because the Reds won't be around for it.
Reply/Quote
The Reds have made moves and signed guys to decent free agent contracts over the past few years, but they just did not work out.

Matt Harvey
Yasiel Puig
Matt Kemp
Sonny Gray
Tanner Roark
Trevor Bauer
Mike Moustakas
Nick Castellanos
Reply/Quote
My lifelong Reds fandom of 62+ years has ceased until the Castellini clan no longer have any stake in this team..  Where am I gonna go? To H E Double hockey sticks...**** your plans Phil.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote