Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phillips over Apple?
Who would you rather have out there right now? Phillips has had his struggles in the past, but I feel he brought more upside. He made some plays on the ball here and there. Who in your opinion would be a bigger liability? Who would you put out there coach?!
Reply/Quote
They refused to even try to develop Phillips by giving him a true shot at starting. Something is just odd there with the way they managed his career. All they've done is try to replace him and none of his replacements have shown the promise he has at times when given a shot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Hell, let me try.

Couldn't be worse right?
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 06:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Who would you rather have out there right now? Phillips has had his struggles in the past, but I feel he brought more upside. He made some plays on the ball here and there. Who in your opinion would be a bigger liability? Who would you put out there coach?!

2021 Eli Apple looks like early 90’s Rod Jones, so yeah, Phillips deserves a shot.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Phillips is not good. They gave him a shot last year and he did nothing but give up big plays and TDs.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 06:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: They refused to even try to develop Phillips by giving him a true shot at starting. Something is just odd there with the way they managed his career. All they've done is try to replace him and none of his replacements have shown the promise he has at times when given a shot.

Ya I thought he played well enough against teams number 1s last year to warrant the #3 cb spot on the team. Somehow he took a massive fall down the depth chart and I don’t understand why they didn’t just trade him if all they see him as is a special teamed.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 07:24 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Phillips is not good. They gave him a shot last year and he did nothing but give up big plays and TDs.

He was forced to be the #1 corner last year and while he isn’t good enough for that role, he could play apples. Not to mention, Apple hasn’t done anything worth mentioning while giving up just as many big plays. Both let People’s Jones burn them, but at least Phillips was close to his guy and not 5 yards back…
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 07:24 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Phillips is not good. They gave him a shot last year and he did nothing but give up big plays and TDs.

Phillips allowed 51% of passes his way to be completed and gave up a passer rating 92. He performed very similarly to William Jackson, who allowed a passer rating of 88. He only gave up 380 yards on 60 targets, playing nearly 600 snaps.

He did pretty well.
Reply/Quote
Phillips I've always thought gets himself in good position but doesn't get his head turned to make the play which in this league gets you killed. So I'd rather stick with Apple. Something I thought was a little surprising from Sunday was Hiltons snap count were very low. Not sure how it compares to other games but I really didn't see him out there much although I do remember him making a nice tackle on Chubb.
Reply/Quote
Phillips is just not consistent. Makes good plays and makes horrible plays. If Apple is replaced it will be Hargraeves
Reply/Quote
Phillips isn't all pro, but they gave CB's like Webb, dude from the Titans (and Apple) a far longer leash then they've ever gave Phillips, who has shown more then those 3, and was a draft pick.

Reply/Quote

This just is not true at all

Last year Phillips played 593 snaps.  He had 38 tackles, 12 Passes Defended, and 1 interception.  He allowed a 92.4 passer rating when targeted.

This year Eli Apple has played 565 snaps.  He has 30 tackles, 3 Passes Defended. and zero interceptions.  He has allowed a 99.9 passer rating. 
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 06:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Who would you rather have out there right now? Phillips has had his struggles in the past, but I feel he brought more upside. He made some plays on the ball here and there. Who in your opinion would be a bigger liability? Who would you put out there coach?!

I don't even want him returning punts, let alone starting at CB.  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 09:26 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Phillips I've always thought gets himself in good position but doesn't get his head turned to make the play which in this league gets you killed. 

Actually getting his hands on the ball is one of Phillips big strengths.

Last year he had more PDs (12) than William Jackson (11) despite playing 200 fewer snaps.  He had more PDs than Mackensie Alexnader (6) and Vonn Bell (5) combined.
Reply/Quote

Phillips is better in the slot than outside, IIRC.
Plus, with Wilson hurt, Phillips will be relied on more for returns.
As much as it sucks, the Bengals put too many eggs into the healthy Waynes basket.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Phillips will never get a fair shot here because he criticized the Bengal defensive coaches and they are so petty they will cut off their own noses to spite their faces.

Last year Phillips had one of the best games of any Bengal defender against the Ravens, but his snaps dropped to 70% after playing 90% over the first 4 weeks. He tweeted a complaint about his talent being wasted and the next week he played just 47% of the snaps against the Colts as Phillip Rivers scorched our DBs for 371 yrads, 3 tds, and a 105.4 passer rating.
Reply/Quote

How about that Bum we paid millions too... that hasnt played yet
Reply/Quote
Phillips always looked good to me, but that's basically the eye test watching on TV so I don't know what that's worth. I believe Apple benefitted greatly from some ridiculously good OSU D lines where they were constantly pressuring the QB.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 12:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote:   I believe Apple benefitted greatly from some ridiculously good OSU D lines where they were constantly pressuring the QB.

As he did when our Dline was playing great and he was looking far better than expected.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2021, 12:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: How about that Bum we paid millions too... that hasnt played yet

Did you call Burrrow a "bum" when he was out with injury last year?
Reply/Quote