Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophy Changes Needed
(12-19-2016, 05:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree that we have a ton of positions of need...but IF we can actually upgrade 2-3 positions we should improve a decent bit.

We need to upgrade Center either via free agency or draft. (Maybe the 2nd Round.)

In the 1st Round a guy like Jabril Peppers makes our secondary better and you could use him at LB on passing downs.

Then hopefully Williams Jackson pans out at CB.

Those 3 things would be a big start.

Jabril Peppers is NOT the safety you want if you are looking for a guy that can cover.  Personally, I think Deron Smith could be that guy,  but if you want to go there in the draft, Jamal Adams is the man.

An outside speed rusher would also make the secondary look much better in coverage.
Reply/Quote
We need linebackers that can cover. Safety that don't suck. And a RDE that can pass rush.
Reply/Quote
I definitely agree op, just wish the organization did
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals need some philosophy changes both in management and coaching:

1 ) On defense, we add personnel that fit more with the 90's AFC Central/North than the current NFL. The NFL is more of a passing league. We need faster LB's that can run, cover, and pass rush. Guys like Maualuga don't fit anymore.

2 ) We need safeties that can cover passes. That's why we miss Reggie. Williams is a decent run stopper, but poor in pass coverage.

3 ) We need to start investing more heavily in the offensive line and defensive line...including Center. Give a QB time to throw and he'll look good. Give the RB some holes and he'll look good. Games are won and lost in the trenches...especially in the playoffs.

4 ) Stop playing the weak zone coverage. Good QB's can pick that apart. Couple that with your unathletic LB's and Safeties that can't cover passes...and it's a recipe for disaster.

5 ) Lets start signing a couple free agent upgrades. I get it...the Bengals don't like playing rookies and younger players...so sign a couple veterans at positions of need! Everyone sees the massive contracts on the 1st day of free agency, but there are some reasonable free agent upgrades that can be had. It's a myth that external free agents are riskier than internal ones...especially considering a new coach will change our system anyways.

6 ) Use the 1st Round of the draft to upgrade 1 starting position each year instead of drafting a guy who will sit for 2-3 years and then replace a free agent that you can't afford to keep.

7 ) Start bringing back former Bengal starts to be closer to the team. This will build the culture over time.

I agree with the need for speedier LBs, but I think they will still be in nickel the majority of the time so I would place even greater emphasis on your second point, which is a safety that can be more of a nickel backer.  I like Josh Shaw a lot, but I can't help but wonder if Shaw shouldn't be the safety and Williams more of a nickel backer.  Or draft a speedy LB that is only about 220 or so like Sua Cravens that can cover TEs and get deep much better than our current options. 

I like the idea or bringing former Bengals closer and I wish for a Ring of Honor every year.  

I think with better pressure from the RDE spot and the rotational guys like Billings and Hardison getting push next to Geno will solve a lot of issues on defense.  The interior of the offensive line is the biggest issue now.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, no one holds Marvy accountable, and Marvy holds no one accountable (except for poor ol No Make Nuge......who was cut about 7 weeks too late), so there ya have it.  The same ol dumb penalties and meltdowns over and over.

Yep and that's why we constantly give up big first half leads, always commit a penalty at the most inopportune time, and have coaches who absolutely have no idea how to adjust to adversity. It's also the reason it's been 26 years and counting since we won a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 10:18 AM)Crowe Wrote: Yep and that's why we constantly give up big first half leads, always commit a penalty at the most inopportune time, and have coaches who absolutely have no idea how to adjust to adversity. It's also the reason it's been 26 years and counting since we won a playoff game.

ie We find a way to lose. Whether it's a careless personal foul. A timely interception. A timely fumble like Hill did in the playoffs...we find a way to lose.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 04:56 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We've got way to many holes to fill/ positions that are in dire need of an upgrade to fix this team via the draft. In time for it to matter for the remaining core of good players, especially Whit ! But Andy, AJ, Geno, Carlos, Vontaze as well. They've all got a couple more seasons in their prime. The time is now to get a couple upper level free agents.

Completely agree.  It's the only way to have a chance while the window is still somewhat open.

To get started find a center that can stabilize the middle of the pocket in free agency.  Cut Mauluga and Dansby.    Draft the best LB #1, RDE #2, OL #3, Safety #4.  Pray like hell Fisher is the answer at RT.

Oh, and don't overspend on DreK.  Spend that money on a free agent #2 corner.  Dre by the numbers is not a #1 shut down corner and never will be (numbers don't lie) - also too many penalties due to lack of coverage skills.  Play WJIII day one and again hope for the best.  Model concept (playing a rookie!).
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2016, 11:09 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Completely agree.  It's the only way to have a chance while the window is still somewhat open.

To get started find a center that can stabilize the middle of the pocket in free agency.  Cut Mauluga and Dansby.    Draft the best LB #1, RDE #2, OL #3, Safety #4.  Pray like hell Fisher is the answer at RT.

Oh, and don't overspend on DreK.  Spend that money on a free agent #2 corner.  Dre by the numbers is not a #1 shut down corner and never will be (numbers don't lie) - also too many penalties due to lack of coverage skills.  Play WJIII day one and again hope for the best.  Model concept (playing a rookie!).

Unfortunately there aren't any great or even good free agent Centers out there. Maybe a guy like JC Tretter from the Packers would be a good addition.

CB there are some good ones. Stephon Gilmore. Amukamara. The interesting thing with Kirkpatrick is he is already 27.

How about Dont'a Hightower as our starting MLB? There are a bunch of good free agent LB's.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 02:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals need some philosophy changes both in management and coaching:

1 ) On defense, we add personnel that fit more with the 90's AFC Central/North than the current NFL. The NFL is more of a passing league. We need faster LB's that can run, cover, and pass rush. Guys like Maualuga don't fit anymore.

2 ) We need safeties that can cover passes. That's why we miss Reggie. Williams is a decent run stopper, but poor in pass coverage.

3 ) We need to start investing more heavily in the offensive line and defensive line...including Center. Give a QB time to throw and he'll look good. Give the RB some holes and he'll look good. Games are won and lost in the trenches...especially in the playoffs.

4 ) Stop playing the weak zone coverage. Good QB's can pick that apart. Couple that with your unathletic LB's and Safeties that can't cover passes...and it's a recipe for disaster.

5 ) Lets start signing a couple free agent upgrades. I get it...the Bengals don't like playing rookies and younger players...so sign a couple veterans at positions of need! Everyone sees the massive contracts on the 1st day of free agency, but there are some reasonable free agent upgrades that can be had. It's a myth that external free agents are riskier than internal ones...especially considering a new coach will change our system anyways.

6 ) Use the 1st Round of the draft to upgrade 1 starting position each year instead of drafting a guy who will sit for 2-3 years and then replace a free agent that you can't afford to keep.

7 ) Start bringing back former Bengal starts to be closer to the team. This will build the culture over time.

I think you nailed about everything here Pistons. Problem is we need a new HC to install this philosophy.

Until we get rid of Marv this just isn't going to happen. All we can do is hope Katie and Troy can convince MB...
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2016, 02:39 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Jabril Peppers is NOT the safety you want if you are looking for a guy that can cover.  Personally, I think Deron Smith could be that guy,  but if you want to go there in the draft, Jamal Adams is the man.

An outside speed rusher would also make the secondary look much better in coverage.

Hammer is right about Peppers and the Safeties mentioned.

Derron could definately be the guy and he is already on the team, so could Shaw.

Shawn played well as a nickel LB, i say play him there if we don't draft an athletic Linebacker.

We need a guy like Barnett at RE and he might be there when we pick.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2016, 05:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: We could be getting an inclination as to the answer to that question the next two weeks, but Cedric Peerman..... Mellow

LOL I hear you brother.  But I will say that he made the killer block that freed Erickson up to almost get into the end zone.  I mean I get it, they wanted a shot to finish the season off in the playoffs, but at that point I think we had enough evidence that we needed to be seeing what we had in our # 1 pick.  He lost the chance for valuable reps and film.  I would have been happier to have Ced back doing his STs magic next year.
Reply/Quote
Wants and wishes don't buy a whole lot at Mikeymart..
Stop shopping there and quit buying 'gear' with stripes and don't spend money on season tickets until they can prove they can win in the post season.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote