Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phones
What are ya’ll using these days? It’s that dreaded time for the wife and I to get our semi annual upgrades. Right now we both have the iPhone 6s. We’re looking at upgrading to the iPhone XR-XS-or the 11. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts before we embark on this endeavor?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I just use a basic Samsung smart phone with Straight Talk services from Walmart. Works great enough for the wifey and I. Much cheaper option IMO. Interestingly, I was at NAPA today getting some spark plugs for the harley and the guy there said that there is more technology in the smart phone than is the spaceship that launched a few weeks ago. Don't know if that true, but I thought it was an interesting comment. Knowing that I couldn't fly that ship, I will never be able to fully use what my phone can do either. LOL

Why I brought that up? Well, I called before I went there and asked if they sold Harley plugs. They said no. So I went anyway with the plug number and asked him if he had any (they were not genuine Harley plugs). He didn't have any of the plugs I asked for so he cross referenced a matching plug which he did have. I looked up the plug he was offering and it is actually a HD genuin factory installed plug, it just didn't have the Harley Davidson name stamped on it. I showed him and he was kinda shocked. So I said, "next time someone calls asking for HD plugs, now you can say you carry them. He was excited about that. LOL

That's when he told me about the cell phone technology. I giggled and left the store. THE POWER OF GOOGLE!

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 02:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I just use a basic Samsung smart phone with Straight Talk services from Walmart. Works great enough for the wifey and I. Much cheaper option IMO. Interestingly, I was at NAPA today getting some spark plugs for the harley and the guy there said that there is more technology in the smart phone than is the spaceship that launched a few weeks ago. Don't know if that true, but I thought it was an interesting comment. Knowing that I couldn't fly that ship, I will never be able to fully use what my phone can do either. LOL

Why I brought that up? Well, I called before I went there and asked if they sold Harley plugs. They said no. So I went anyway with the plug number and asked him if he had any (they were not genuine Harley plugs). He didn't have any of the plugs I asked for so he cross referenced a matching plug which he did have. I looked up the plug he was offering and it is actually a HD genuin factory installed plug, it just didn't have the Harley Davidson name stamped on it. I showed him and he was kinda shocked. So I said, "next time someone calls asking for HD plugs, now you can say you carry them. He was excited about that. LOL

That's when he told me about the cell phone technology. I giggled and left the store. THE POWER OF GOOGLE!

You phone has much more processing power and memory than the computers that took Apollo 11 to the moon, but I doubt it is more advanced than the computers on current spacecraft.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 02:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You phone has much more processing power and memory than the computers that took Apollo 11 to the moon, but I doubt it is more advanced than the computers on current spacecraft.

That's probably what was said and he interpreted it different. Damn NAPA guys and their fishing stories! LOL

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2020, 01:17 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What are ya’ll using these days? It’s that dreaded time for the wife and I to get our semi annual upgrades. Right now we both have the iPhone 6s. We’re looking at upgrading to the iPhone XR-XS-or the 11. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts before we embark on this endeavor?

Why are your phones so old if you upgrade them every 6 months?
Reply/Quote
I think be meant bi-annual, not semi-annual.

And trust me, stay away from Apple; their products are shit and nothing but superficial; they haven't upgraded their interface in the 12-13 years they've been making phones, it's ridiculous.

I'm due for an upgrade in September, but no carrier in Canada carries Sony Phones anymore, so I'll need to buy outright and snag a plan.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 12:42 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think be meant bi-annual, not semi-annual.

And trust me, stay away from Apple; their products are shit and nothing but superficial; they haven't upgraded their interface in the 12-13 years they've been making phones, it's ridiculous.

I'm due for an upgrade in September, but no carrier in Canada carries Sony Phones anymore, so I'll need to buy outright and snag a plan.

I have both an Android and an iPhone, and both the same age.  I will say the Apple product is far superior to the Android in my experiences.

If you aren't big on the interface, they say that is changing with iOS 14.  Personally I don't see a need to reinvent the wheel, but that is just me.
Reply/Quote
Xs Max
Reply/Quote
Perfectly content to keep using my old 6S as long as it does what I need it to do.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 12:19 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Why are your phones so old if you upgrade them every 6 months?

Sorry......it’s been a few years since we last upgraded to these 6S’s. My battery is now really weak and the wife’s microphone doesn’t work anymore unless it’s on speakerphone.
I’m just trying to do a little research between the XR, XS, SE, and the 11. Right now after talking to a few folks that have the XR, I think we are leaning that way. It seems to have a much stronger battery life compared to the others.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 10:46 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Sorry......it’s been a few years since we last upgraded to these 6S’s.  My battery is now really weak and the wife’s microphone doesn’t work anymore unless it’s on speakerphone.  
I’m just trying to do a little research between the XR, XS, SE, and the 11.  Right now after talking to a few folks that have the XR, I think we are leaning that way.  It seems to have a much stronger battery life compared to the others.

Just to make sure you are aware, they no longer do upgrades like they used to.  These days you have to buy the phone.  While you can do it outright, it is generally done as a payment plan tacked onto your bill.

With that said, battery replacements are pretty cheap if you don't want to shell out that kind of money on two phones at once. 
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 11:03 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Just to make sure you are aware, they no longer do upgrades like they used to.  These days you have to buy the phone.  While you can do it outright, it is generally done as a payment plan tacked onto your bill.

With that said, battery replacements are pretty cheap if you don't want to shell out that kind of money on two phones at once. 

Wow, am I in trouble or what?  I currently use a Galaxy Note 3, on a Straight Talk plan.  The phone has reached it's lifespan, in my opinion.  What I'll likely do, is what I did 5 years ago, and go get another used phone, asking the advice of the kid in the store at the time, transfer my data through Samsung Smart Swap, and go on my merry way again.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
My kids had cheap phones and my oldest wanted an iPhone. I was afraid she would break or lose it so I bought her a used one off ebay. There are tons of almost new phones for sale there all the time. I think at the time the 9 was the current model. I bought her a 6S and she was thrilled with it.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2020, 11:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, am I in trouble or what?  I currently use a Galaxy Note 3, on a Straight Talk plan.  The phone has reached it's lifespan, in my opinion.  What I'll likely do, is what I did 5 years ago, and go get another used phone, asking the advice of the kid in the store at the time, transfer my data through Samsung Smart Swap, and go on my merry way again.

4 letters:

E
B
A
Y
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Pixel 2. Had it a couple years and still going strong.

I quit using apples when I quit working at a place that had apple computers. Just always had bad luck with their phones stopping working.

I used a windows phone for a few years. I liked it but they're dead now. So I switched to pixel so the phone would transfer pretty easily to the windows based pc, which it does.
Reply/Quote