Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phyllis Schlafly dead at 92
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/294536-phyllis-schlafly-dead-at-92

Quote:Longtime conservative activist and Eagle Forum founder Phyllis Schlafly died Monday. She was 92. 

“Today, Phyllis Schlafly passed away in the presence of her family at her home in St. Louis, Missouri,” the Eagle Forum posted in a statement on its website. 

The group called its founder, who it said spent 70 years in public service, “an indomitable pro-family grassroots advocate and organizer.” 

“Her focus from her earliest days until her final ones was protecting the family, which she understood as the building block of life. ... From military superiority and defense to immigration and trade; from unborn life to the nuclear family and parenthood, Phyllis Schlafly was a courageous and articulate voice for common sense and traditional values.”

Schlafly was a constitutional lawyer, the author of 27 books and a prominent public speaker. Her latest book, from co-authors Ed Martin and Brett Decker, is set to be released on Tuesday. It lays out how GOP nominee Donald Trump is “a surprising conservative choice” for president, the Washington Times reported

"Phyllis Schlafly is a conservative icon who led millions to action, reshaped the conservative movement, and fearlessly battled globalism and the 'kingmakers' on behalf of America's workers and families," Trump said in a statement Monday night.  

"I was honored to spend time with her during this campaign as she waged one more great battle for national sovereignty. I was able to speak with her by phone only a few weeks ago, and she sounded as resilient as ever. Our deepest prayers go out to her family and all her loved ones." 

Schlafly led grass-roots campaigns against Communism, abortion and the Equal Rights Amendment and galvanized conservatives for almost two generations, the New York Times said. She may be most well-known for leading opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment, arguing that it would end of the traditional family.

Known as “the first lady of anti-feminism,” the Los Angeles Times reported, Schlafly died of natural causes.  

“America has lost a great stateswoman, and we at Eagle Forum and among the conservative movement have lost a beloved friend and mentor, who taught and inspired so many to fight the good fight in defense of American values," Eagle Forum First Vice President Eunie Smith in a statement. 

According to Federal Election Commission reports, a political action committee bearing her name was registered by Ed Martin, the president of the Eagle Forum. It’s called Phyllis Schlafly's Eagle PAC.

“There will never be another Phyllis Schlafly,” Smith continued. “Today is a day to celebrate her amazing legacy and to remember the profound difference she made in the conduct of American public policy. Thank you, Phyllis. We will not grow weary.”

She loved the American way so much she fought against equal righs and supported people like Reagan who headed the destruction of the middle class.

What an icon for the right.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Not very interested in this lady.

Just want to see if anyone claims we should not speak badly about any person the day they die.
(09-06-2016, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not very interested in this lady.

Just want to see if anyone claims we should not speak badly about any person the day they die.

As long as said person is not black, liberal, or anti-Trump then go right ahead, apparently.

For the record, I've never even heard of this broad.
Why do people feel the need to belittle the recently deceased ?
I know you are condemning the actions and not the person, but it's just something I always seem to have trouble with.

Honestly, I didn't even know who this lady was.

There are people I've disliked who have passed, but I don't think I've ever felt compelled to dance on their grave.
I suppose that maybe I'm different in thinking there is good in everyone, somewhere and they very well could have done enough good in their life to atone for the bad.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
(09-06-2016, 01:27 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Why do people feel the need to belittle the recently deceased ?
I know you are condemning the actions and not the person, but it's just something I always seem to have trouble with.

Honestly, I didn't even know who this lady was.

There are people I've disliked who have passed, but I don't think I've ever felt compelled to dance on their grave.
I suppose that maybe I'm different in thinking there is good in everyone, somewhere and they very well could have done enough good in their life to atone for the bad.

I am honestly surprised you don't know who she was. You must be much younger than I thought or only recently tuned into politics. She was sort of a pioneer voice screaming into the void before we could all do it on the internet, LOL.

She was sort of Hillary before Hillary - an outspoken woman when women were still supposed to be barefoot and pregnant, and people either loved her or hated her - although there was never a massive smear campaign to discredit her. I think she was also always just an "activist," writer and speaker, never actually working on policy or holding an office. But she was for decades a well known conservative pundit - again, before 24-7 talking heads and pundits galore. As the spotlight fragmented to take in all those other chuckleheads on both sides of the aisle she got less media attention but still was active.

The OP pointing out her death is not necessarily dancing. I mean, she was a public figure and her death is news. I think the OP probably felt the same about her yesterday as today, and stating his (accurate, btw) assessment of her career is just giving an opinion of her public life. I didn't hear clapping or high fives in the subtext. Thinking someone who died was a good person doesn't necessarily count as mourning, and thinking they were a jerk isn't necessarily desecrating their soon to be dug grave. Or so it seems to me.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-06-2016, 07:09 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/294536-phyllis-schlafly-dead-at-92

She loved the American way so much she fought against equal righs and supported people like Reagan who headed the destruction of the middle class.

So you are pointing out her support of Reagan as a reason the right shouldn't support her?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-06-2016, 02:59 PM)xxlt Wrote: OP pointing out her death is not necessarily dancing. I mean, she was a public figure and her death is news. I think the OP probably felt the same about her yesterday as today, and stating his (accurate, btw) assessment of her career is just giving an opinion of her public life. I didn't hear clapping or high fives in the subtext. Thinking someone who died was a good person doesn't necessarily count as mourning, and thinking they were a jerk isn't necessarily desecrating their soon to be dug grave. Or so it seems to me.

Oh I suppose some folks are naive enough to believe the OP meant no disrespect with his commentary.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-06-2016, 02:59 PM)xxlt Wrote: I am honestly surprised you don't know who she was. You must be much younger than I thought or only recently tuned into politics. She was sort of a pioneer voice screaming into the void before we could all do it on the internet, LOL.

The majority of my political knowledge has come from you turkeys.

I'm 47, but only watched cable news (CNN/Fox), before jumping into the P&R forums.
I was politically disenfranchised, until I had a daughter, and felt the need to ensure she'd be able to grow up in a decent world.
I'm only one person, but I've found that I perform well at informing others and bring them back from being disenfranchised.
I've been learning more about my local government and getting to know many that hold office here.
Who knows.... I may run for something.
I'll let everyone know that you all should be the ones held accountable.

Also... I wasn't trying to come down heavy on Dino.
He's a good guy and I'm sick as hell today, so I'm sure I'm not coming across as I intend.
It took me about 35 minutes to write this response.

(09-06-2016, 07:09 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/294536-phyllis-schlafly-dead-at-92

You sure about all that?  I mean, I was a kid in the Reagan era.  My Dad's salary increased at the greatest rate in his working history during those years.  We somehow moved up from upper lower class to lower middle class in about a few short years. 

Also, what's wrong with a liberated woman choosing to stay home and raise the family?  I know many families where both work, seemingly just for the sake of saying both work.  They might actually save some money if one stayed home, intelligently managed the family, while the other focused on increasing their earnings.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
I often post a #toosoon when someone famous dies.  Because someone famous dying gets tons of press when all they did was be famous.

In this case I made a commentary on her belief system and the people who loved her.  Not her.

For anyone to claim there are conservative and that they did not know who she was is amazing to me.
(09-06-2016, 09:13 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: The majority of my political knowledge has come from you turkeys.

I'm 47, but only watched cable news (CNN/Fox), before jumping into the P&R forums.
I was politically disenfranchised, until I had a daughter, and felt the need to ensure she'd be able to grow up in a decent world.
I'm only one person, but I've found that I perform well at informing others and bring them back from being  disenfranchised.
I've been learning more about my local government and getting to know many that hold office here.
Who knows.... I may run for something.
I'll let everyone know that you all should be the ones held accountable.

Also... I wasn't trying to come down heavy on Dino.
He's a good guy and I'm sick as hell today, so I'm sure I'm not coming across as I intend.
It took me about 35 minutes to write this response.

Reminds me of the Clinton line from his DNC speech - 'when you have more yesterdays than tomorrows on your timeline you start to worry about what you are leaving for the future generations...' Of course, when you have a child it kicks in even more. Glad you are enfranchised again. Who knows comrade, maybe we will see you soon at a regional gathering of enfranchised subversives.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-06-2016, 09:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You sure about all that?  I mean, I was a kid in the Reagan era.  My Dad's salary increased at the greatest rate in his working history during those years.  We somehow moved up from upper lower class to lower middle class in about a few short years. 

Also, what's wrong with a liberated woman choosing to stay home and raise the family?  I know many families where both work, seemingly just for the sake of saying both work.  They might actually save some money if one stayed home, intelligently managed the family, while the other focused on increasing their earnings.

Sincerely happy for your family's successes during your childhood.

That being said, several people have posted reams of data on the old board and readily available at your fingertips showing for the majority of Americans wages have been stagnant for the past 35 years and in some cases even declined. At the same time, a small percentage of Americans - a fraction of one percent, have experienced staggering economic gains. That isn't a matter of ideology. It is a matter of fact - specifically mathematical fact.

Regarding Schlaffly if she were alive and you called her liberated to her face she would have verbally assaulted you. She was neither a feminist, nor liberated, and asked her husband's permission before running for office 3x and losing all three times.

The sad truth is in most households where one parent stays home it is because they can't make enough from the second earners wages to pay for childcare. So, it does technically save money but hardly increases the family's standard of living. The second the kids are in school the second wage earner returns to a job or jobs and the family still struggles. And it isn't because they live beyond their means - it is because wages in this country have flat lined for decades. Again, not a matter of ideology, it is a matter of math. You may believe if we further cut capital gains taxes and the tax rates for the wealthiest earners even further that the middle class will suddenly explode, or you may believe it is doing just fine. But, those ideas haven't worked for 35 years and the middle class is not doing just fine. Feel free to tell me I am wrong, and I will happily agree when you show math that proves it.
(09-06-2016, 09:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  I know many families where both work, seemingly just for the sake of saying both work.  

I don't know of anyone who works "just for the sake of saying not work".  That makes no sense at all.
(09-07-2016, 09:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know of anyone who works "just for the sake of saying not work".  That makes no sense at all.

Also, this line is funny coming from a guy who stayed out of the poor house because his wife had a job when he lost his.

My idiot sister in law (for other reasons than this) works when she has zero reason too...except she like to spend more than her husband makes.

They could live quite well, but she is addicted to mail order crap.

Then she complains about her job and how much she hates its.