Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physical Defense is Good Defense
The 2021 iteration of the Cincinnati Bengals' defense was looking formidable until two weeks ago. After impressive outings against the Steelers and Ravens where the defense allowed 10 and 17 points, respectively, they slid off the face of the earth while surrendering 34 points each to the horrible Jets and to the Browns.

What is different? Physical play or, in the case of the Bengals, a lack thereof.

During the first seven games I watched the Bengals' defense closely and I was impressed by what Lou Anarumo did with respect to scheme, tackling fundamentals, secondary play, inside pressure, but most of all I was impressed by the energy the defense used. Tackling an opposing ball carrier is nice; a little punishment is better. I truly don't like to compare defenses and I am never an advocate for dirty play or cheap shots but the Bengals need to play with more energy and attitude. I hate the Steelers' bumblebee colored guts but their defense always comes into each game with hostile intent. I like that. The Bengals played this way against Pittsburgh and Baltimore and won convincingly. Finesse on defense never works. The Browns are starting to play more physically on defense as well and it showed on Sunday.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not advocating more physical play on defense at the expense of technique. What I'm saying is physical defense is part of good technique. Momentum is mass times velocity so the faster a defender hits a ball carrier the greater the disruption. Look at some of the greatest tacklers in recent NFL history -- Ray Lewis, Ronnie Lott, Geno Atkins, Roy Williams, Warren Sapp, Ndamukong Suh, Troy Polamalu, and yes, Vontaze Burfict too -- and they all have being hard hitters and punishers in common.

In the AFC North this concept is even more true!

Until Zac Taylor gets better at play calling, Joe Burrow throws less interceptions, and the offensive line becomes consistently better at both run blocking and pass protection, the Cincinnati defense will have to hold opposing offenses to far fewer points than 34. During the first seven games the Bengals featured one of the top scoring defenses in the NFL, allowing 17.3 points per game. This is where Lou Anarumo needs to return; whatever he was doing was working magnificently.

A renewed emphasis on physical defense will go a long way toward limiting points.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Interceptions and Fumbles by the Offense have helped the Jets and Browns put points on the board. These have been TEAM LOSSES and it's not just the Defense that played Bad.

I'm hoping that the 3 straight road games were too much for the rebuilding Bengals, and that all they need is this Bye-Week to regroup and go forward in the second half of the season.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I love a hard hitting defense as much as anyone. But I don't see a lack of "physicality" as being the problem with our D. Receivers running wide open is not about being physical. Even the missed tackles are not "soft" tackles that the ball carriers run through. Instead the wre "whiffs" cause by poor technic and being out of position. Even getting pressure on the QB is mostly a function of technique and scheme more that just being physical.

To repeat, not saying being physical and hard hitting on defense is not important. But I just don't see that as our problem.
Reply/Quote