Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pick 16 games.
If things proceed into the fall without NFL football, it's going to be rough for everyone here. This possibility made me think of what 16 games in recent or not-so-recent Bengals history I'd pick to watch in place of live football on Sunday afternoons. Mine will be mostly limited to the year 2000 and beyond, but any game will do. Here's my list:

1. 2013 vs Green Bay @ PBS. Thoroughly exciting win with drama right down to the finish. The Newman runback for a TD was one of the greatest ends to a game I can remember.

2. 2001 Vs Ravens @ PBS. Bengals beat the Super Bowl champs to start the year 2-0 before going into the can and finishing last.

3. 2009 TOUCHDOWN ANDRE CALDWELL!!!! Needs no explanation.

4. 2013 win vs. New England at PBS. Downpour game kills Brady's chances at a winning drive.

5. 2004 Monday Night Football vs Denver. Chad torches Champ Bailey and Carson starts to become a legitimate threat.

6. 2015 vs Seattle at PBS. Heart attack overtime game vs one of the league's best.

7. 2009 vs Chicago at PBS. For my money, the most complete game this team has played in the current millennium. Benson destroys his old team.

8. 2000 vs Denver. Dillon breaks the all-time single game rushing record as the team benches Akili Smith.

9. 2003 vs KC. The Guarantee game. Peter Warrick outshines Dante Hall and Marvin becomes a potential savior.

10. 2006 Thursday Night game vs Baltimore. Loudest PBS has ever been in a defensive stare down.

11. 2005 loss to Indy at PBS. Not the outcome we want, but still a monster game between two juggernaut offenses.

12. 2011 game @ Cleveland. Dalton era opens and ends predictions for the team to go 3-13.

13. 2012 game at Pittsburgh. Bengals win a nail biter in Pittsburgh to keep playoff hopes alive.

14. 2014 win at Baltimore. AJ owns the Ravens and gets a season-opening win.

15. 2005 vs Minnesota at PBS. The second of 3 season-opening routs that left no doubt as to whether the Palmer era has arrived.

16. @ Pittsburgh, 2005. The single most satisfying game of the millennium. The Bengals establish dominance in the North and do so convincingly. What could have been.

For my playoff fix, I'm watching some 80's games OR staring with Joe Burrow beating Bama in Tuscaloosa, followed by his curb-stomp of Oklahoma, then the title game vs Clemson.
Reply/Quote
1 2003 vs Baltimore in Cincinnati.

2 2005 at Pittsburgh... The TJ shining shoes game.

3 2015 Seahawks

4 2013 Green Bay... One of the most exciting games I've ever seen. Unbelievable ending.

5 2011 Seahawks... We manhandled them.

6 2012 vs RG3 and the Racial Slurs

7 2012 vs Giants... Beat the shit outta the defending champs to start a 7-1 finish to the season.

8 2014 Manziel debut...

9 2001 vs Baltimore.

10 2003 vs undefeated Chiefs.

11 2009 Steelers game with the comeback win.

12 2009 Ravens comeback.

13 2006 in Pittsburgh.

14 2013 vs Jets... The Marvin Jones game.

15 2015 at Baltimore's... Steve Smith and AJ Green trade late long TDs.

16 2014 Monday Night vs Denver... Must win prime-time game. I think that was the first time they'd beaten Manning.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2020, 08:50 PM)samhain Wrote: If things proceed into the fall without NFL football, it's going to be rough for everyone here. This possibility made me think of what 16 games in recent or not-so-recent Bengals history I'd pick to watch in place of live football on Sunday afternoons. Mine will be mostly limited to the year 2000 and beyond, but any game will do. Here's my list:

1. 2013 vs Green Bay @ PBS. Thoroughly exciting win with drama right down to the finish. The Newman runback for a TD was one of the greatest ends to a game I can remember.

2. 2001 Vs Ravens @ PBS. Bengals beat the Super Bowl champs to start the year 2-0 before going into the can and finishing last.

3. 2009 TOUCHDOWN ANDRE CALDWELL!!!! Needs no explanation.

4. 2013 win vs. New England at PBS. Downpour game kills Brady's chances at a winning drive.

5. 2004 Monday Night Football vs Denver. Chad torches Champ Bailey and Carson starts to become a legitimate threat.

6. 2015 vs Seattle at PBS. Heart attack overtime game vs one of the league's best.

7. 2009 vs Chicago at PBS. For my money, the most complete game this team has played in the current millennium. Benson destroys his old team.

8. 2000 vs Denver. Dillon breaks the all-time single game rushing record as the team benches Akili Smith.

9. 2003 vs KC. The Guarantee game. Peter Warrick outshines Dante Hall and Marvin becomes a potential savior.

10. 2006 Thursday Night game vs Baltimore. Loudest PBS has ever been in a defensive stare down.

11. 2005 loss to Indy at PBS. Not the outcome we want, but still a monster game between two juggernaut offenses.

12. 2011 game @ Cleveland. Dalton era opens and ends predictions for the team to go 3-13.

13. 2012 game at Pittsburgh. Bengals win a nail biter in Pittsburgh to keep playoff hopes alive.

14. 2014 win at Baltimore. AJ owns the Ravens and gets a season-opening win.

15. 2005 vs Minnesota at PBS. The second of 3 season-opening routs that left no doubt as to whether the Palmer era has arrived.

16. @ Pittsburgh, 2005. The single most satisfying game of the millennium. The Bengals establish dominance in the North and do so convincingly. What could have been.

For my playoff fix, I'm watching some 80's games OR staring with Joe Burrow beating Bama in Tuscaloosa, followed by his curb-stomp of Oklahoma, then the title game vs Clemson.

On that Terrance Newman TD in the Green Bay game, Reggie Nelson recovered the ball first and then HE fumbled it... That game was fun.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I know that you wanted to keep this limited to 2000 and beyond, but for your playoff fix games, I think that we really need to dig deeper..

1. The Freezer Bowl Bengals beat Chargers to advance to their 1st appearance in the Superbowl.

2. The 1989 AFCCG Bengals beat the Bills to advance to their 2nd Superbowl appearance.

You can't really honor Bengals history in a non-season, without paying tribute to the only two Bengals team in history to actually reach the Championship game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2020, 10:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I know that you wanted to keep this limited to 2000 and beyond, but for your playoff fix games, I think that we really need to dig deeper..

1. The Freezer Bowl  Bengals beat Chargers to advance to their 1st appearance in the Superbowl.

2. The 1989 AFCCG  Bengals beat the Bills to advance to their 2nd Superbowl appearance.

You can't really honor Bengals history in a non-season, without paying tribute to the only two Bengals team in history to actually reach the Championship game.

Yeah, you can't leave out the Freezer Bowl.  
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2020, 09:37 PM)jason Wrote: 1 2003 vs Baltimore in Cincinnati.

2 2005 at Pittsburgh... The TJ shining shoes game.

3 2015 Seahawks

4 2013 Green Bay... One of the most exciting games I've ever seen. Unbelievable ending.

5 2011 Seahawks... We manhandled them.

6 2012 vs RG3 and the Racial Slurs

7 2012 vs Giants... Beat the shit outta the defending champs to start a 7-1 finish to the season.

8 2014 Manziel debut...

9 2001 vs Baltimore.

10 2003 vs undefeated Chiefs.

11 2009 Steelers game with the comeback win.

12  2009 Ravens comeback.

13 2006 in Pittsburgh.

14 2013 vs Jets... The Marvin Jones game.

15 2015 at Baltimore's... Steve Smith and AJ Green trade late long TDs.

16 2014 Monday Night vs Denver... Must win prime-time game. I think that was the first time they'd beaten Manning.
Oh, I forget the Manning game. I was there that night.  We left that game thinking Jeremy Hill was going to be a superstar for years to come.  He was a beast that night, as was Dre Kirkpatrick.  Hell of a night.

The 2012 Washington game was a blast, too. I was coming home from grabbing lunch and beer when the game opened with the Sanu bomb to AJ. I lost my shit at the intersection waiting on a red light.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 12:09 AM)samhain Wrote: Oh, I forget the Manning game. I was there that night.  We left that game thinking Jeremy Hill was going to be a superstar for years to come.  He was a beast that night, as was Dre Kirkpatrick.  Hell of a night.

The 2012 Washington game was a blast, too. I was coming home from grabbing lunch and beer when the game opened with the Sanu bomb to AJ. I lost my shit at the intersection waiting on a red light.

Yeah... Somehow a guy that gained a reputation for not having hands had 2 crucial interceptions that night.... One was a pick 6. Jeremy Hill ran with a violence that night too. That game was big man. We got whooped by Cleveland at home that year on Thursday night. I was at that game... Anyway; things were looking bad for the playoffs after that loss, and we were headed to New Orleans. They pulled that game outta their asses, and finished that season strong, but they HAD to win that Denver game... In primetime. We limped into the post season with about the entire offense injured, and I think a lot of us forget how hard that team fought to even get there.

As for that Washington game... Do you remember that play where Dunlap smashed Griffin for a sack, forced a fumble, then nonchalantly reached one arm out and recovered the ball while still laying on him? But yeah; that opening play was so funny. DeAngelo Hall was lined up on Dalton, and screaming to the rest of the defense. Sanu was a great lil weapon to have. He had some nice games in 2012, and in 2014 while Green and Jones were out.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Hard to forget when Sam and the boys beat the brakes off of Glanville's Oilers.
Reply/Quote
December 8th 1985. Boomer and the boys hung 50 on the Cowboys. First series of the game, Bengals defense drove Cowboys back for a safety and led 2-0 to begin the scoring. Tom Landry's team never recovered, down 50-10 at one point.
Reply/Quote
Man, if this doesn't work out and a 2020 season doesn't happen, the NFL network needs to allow for some custom streaming service to watch games on weekends. I'm talking unlimited access to any game ever put to tape. I bet people would eat it up when the football withdrawals start taking their toll.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 02:07 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Hard to forget when Sam and the boys beat the brakes off of Glanville's Oilers.

Waited to see if anyone called it.  Well done.  Most hilarious victory of all time.  Up something like 48-7, they did an onsides kick and recovered it.  The stands were yelling JERRY!  JERRY!  So loud it came through the radio.
Reply/Quote
Freezer Bowl would be #1.

Sugar Huddle game against Marv Levy #2
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 12:18 AM)jason Wrote: Yeah... Somehow a guy that gained a reputation for not having hands had 2 crucial interceptions that night.... One was a pick 6. Jeremy Hill ran with a violence that night too. That game was big man. We got whooped by Cleveland at home that year on Thursday night. I was at that game... Anyway; things were looking bad for the playoffs after that loss, and we were headed to New Orleans. They pulled that game outta their asses, and finished that season strong, but they HAD to win that Denver game... In primetime. We limped into the post season with about the entire offense injured, and I think a lot of us forget how hard that team fought to even get there.

As for that Washington game... Do you remember that play where Dunlap smashed Griffin for a sack, forced a fumble, then nonchalantly reached one arm out and recovered the ball while still laying on him? But yeah; that opening play was so funny. DeAngelo Hall was lined up on Dalton, and screaming to the rest of the defense. Sanu was a great lil weapon to have. He had some nice games in 2012, and in 2014 while Green and Jones were out.

His name was Angelo Hall.

'Cuz he ain't got no De Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Since 2000 my favorite regular season game was 2009 when we beat the Ravens the week after Vicki Zimmer died.

We have had bigger wins and more exciting wins, but I don't think any game ever had as big of an emotional imoact on me.  Defense played great and I was ALMOST weepy when they were all mobbing Mike after the win.

That 2009 team was mostly smoke and mirrors, but that season had more incredible memorable games than any other season.  Last minute and overtime wins, the Chris Henry game, the Vickie Zimmer game.  It was just kind of magical.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 11:09 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: His name was Angelo Hall.

'Cuz he ain't got no De Hilarious

Even seen the clip from the joint practices between Washington and Houston where he and DeAndre Hopkins start jawing at each other? Hopkins taunts him after literally breaking his ankles on a route... Tasteless but amusing nevertheless.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 01:43 PM)jason Wrote: Even seen the clip from the joint practices between Washington and Houston where he and DeAndre Hopkins start jawing at each other? Hopkins taunts him after literally breaking his ankles on a route... Tasteless but amusing nevertheless.

I'll have to look that one up.

My favorite from him was when he shaved "I OWN 85" on the back of his head, only to have Chad take him to school on the field.

While the guy was never a scrub, he always tried to portray himself like some kind of lock down corner.  That in itself was not reality.  But then to top it off, he made it sounds as if he had performed at a level that even Dion Sanders never achieved.  It led to a great deal of schaudenfraude at the conclusion of his games.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2020, 01:55 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'll have to look that one up.

My favorite from him was when he shaved "I OWN 85" on the back of his head, only to have Chad take him to school on the field.

While the guy was never a scrub, he always tried to portray himself like some kind of lock down corner.  That in itself was not reality.  But then to top it off, he made it sounds as if he had performed at a level that even Dion Sanders never achieved.  It led to a great deal of schaudenfraude at the conclusion of his games.

I don't think he was very well liked around the league either... I remember him getting into a scuffle on an opposing sideline, and nobody coming to help him.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'd take 16 games of beating the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
That 2013 game hurt as a Packer fan lol.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 10:19 AM)packerbacker Wrote: That 2013 game hurt as a Packer fan lol.

I remember Bengals blew a 14 point lead then the packers blew a 14 point lead it was a weird game
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote