Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malik Harrison is better than Patrick Queen and Akeem Davis Gaither is a hidden gem
Stuck inside due to the pandemic, so I decided to revisit tape:

Patrick Queen vs Oklahoma:

-50/50 he either falls asleep and is slow to make his read or fights off blockers to get to the ball-carrier. When he gets there , he misses a lot of tackles.

-athletic and shows promise but is still a project. I don’t have the experience of a coach or scout to know if his type of ‘project’ actually develops in the NFL. He needs to work on play recognition and tackling. When he plays up, he could possibly be an elite MLB.

-It’s hard to say if a LB is good in coverage unless you know what to look for (I don’t), but I didn’t see any BIG problems. He plays ‘off’ a lot in coverage which means he doesn’t give up a lot YAC, but doesn’t play aggressive enough to be a playmaker.

Definitely a first round talent if you think you can get him to play up every play, but his inconsistency might drive some crazy if too much draft capital is used to get him

Isaiah Simmons vs LSU:

-Can play LB, Safety, and Nickel
-Not a hybrid
-Good agility for his length
-Crazy straight line speed
-Makes good reads, shoots the gap, takes on blockers
-Speed as a delayed blitzer is scary
-Makes plays in the slot

In the talks of being picked 3rd overall, if he plays for the right team he could be a HOF

Malik Harrison vs Clemson:
-Better speed than I remembered
-Missed some tackles on the outside, but not by much, Travis Etienne is very unique
-Takes on blockers
-Around the play a lot
-Needs to be more concise, but that can come with experience
-Not as athletic as Queen, but quicker and more confident in his reads. Part of this might be due to less exposure/responsibility in pass coverage.
-Knows what he is trying to accomplish, doesn’t get caught up in the hoopla

I have a lot more confidence in Malik than Queen, I think he would be a quality starter who should be on the verge of a pro-bowl some years but doesn’t have the flash to make it

Akeem-Davis Gaither VS South Carolina:
-very unique, has more of a body of a safety than LB
-uses running back like moves to weave in and out of the offensive line
-takes on lineman surprisingly good for his size
-fluid coverage similar to WJ3 which means to doesn’t take a lot of sharp angles
-very quick with his reads, constantly making plays in the backfield
-big question is: will his game translate to the NFL

He is a clone of Telvin Smith. This is a type of player that you pick and turns out to be an all-pro like Geno Atkins. Some are making comparisons to a smaller Darius Leonard. Comes from a smaller school (Leonard), has a smaller body (Atkins), but is tough, sound, and makes plays. I would be hesitant to use a 2nd Rounder because I think he has higher bust potential than the players I noted but this could be our guy in the third.

Zach Baun
-already wrote about him
-plays Sam and does everything asked of him very well
-I think he would add a lot of value to our defense even though we are more in need of a MLB

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind taking a linebacker in the second (Baun or Harrison) AND third (Davis). Queen fits in the mold of Malik Jefferson and Mack Wilson - Boom or Bust with high bust potential. I don’t want to draft a player in the second that is situational.
Reply/Quote
I have heard the exact opposite thing of Queen; Crabbs from Draft network + NFL com both say Queens biggest strength is his mind and football IQ.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Nice work, WillieFANderson. I like your takes on those players and agree with your analysis. While staying general in comments here, I'll add that Queen experienced a morphic rise up the ratings boards, on the strength of a few games in the second half of the season, in his final year. Harrison has shown two good seasons of full time starter production, along with a solid season in rotation as a Sophomore. He's not without his "warts" but things like getting fooled by play action struggling in man coverage are things that he can grow out of.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 03:53 PM)J24 Wrote: I have heard the exact opposite thing of Queen; Crabbs from Draft network + NFL com both say Queens biggest strength is his mind and football IQ.

Same here. Crabbs' assessment sure doesn't align with what WillieFANderson so accurately reported from Queen's performance against the Sooners. 

As I've written consistently for the past month, I think we need to draft a RT at #33 if possible. If not, then I think we could trade back for Harrison and then pick up Davis-Gaither with the additional pick. If not, Justin Strnad in the 5th or 6th round would be a great pick. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I'd love to land Harrison. I haven't watched enough of Queen to say much about him.
Reply/Quote
I'm a huge fan of ADG. I think he fits what the Bengals are looking for in a STAR backer role to use in their hybrid fronts.

The Bengals coached him at the Senior Bowl and used him in all 3 linebacker positions (can only run a 43 at the Senior Bowl) and he is the guy that wore the mic for the first unit. They also met with him again at the Combine.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I’d love for them to take either one of those guys. Love ADG I think he’s gonna be a good football player
Reply/Quote
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 09:15 AM)Synric Wrote:

Do you think we could get him in the 4th?  I've liked Dye from the beginning for the Bengals.  

I'd be happy with Harrison or ADG.  I think ADG will take a little more time to be NFL-ready, but he's a worthy investment, particularly if you can get him on day 3.  I think Harrison is a day 1 starter if a team wants him to be.  
Reply/Quote
I like Dye too. and ADG. and Baun. I def. see us grabbing at least one good linebacker in this draft. We should be in great position to do so.
Reply/Quote
I agree that Queen needs more reps but I disagree with your assessment. I don’t think Harrison was asked to do a whole lot in coverage and Queen has shown good instincts, but still a bit raw. IMHO both need good coaching but Queen has a lot more upside.

I really think Murray is there dream player at LB this year.
Reply/Quote