Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pick Your Poison
As i stated in another thread, my true concern regarding a pick of Chase at #5 is the following:

#38 - Asante Samuel
#69 - Milton Williams

Mind you, I really like those 2 players and I could see Cincy going that route regardless of who is drafted at #5.

So, my question to you - who do you take at #5 if you know that this is the way the draft goes in round 2 and 3.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 02:20 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: As i stated in another thread, my true concern regarding a pick of Chase at #5 is the following:

#38 - Asante Samuel
#69 - Milton Williams

Mind you, I really like those 2 players and I could see Cincy going that route regardless of who is drafted at #5.

So, my question to you - who do you take at #5 if you know that this is the way the draft goes in round 2 and 3.

Boy, that's the thing.  People assume that all this OL talent will be there waiting for us at 38.

We can be OK with a lesser talent at WR alongside Higgins and Boyd.  Heck, our number one could be right under our nose (Higgins).  But we must get a quality OL starter out of the draft.  Don't get greedy; first things first.

Short answer:  Sewell.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 02:29 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Boy, that's the thing.  People assume that all this OL talent will be there waiting for us at 38.

We can be OK with a lesser talent at WR alongside Higgins and Boyd.  Heck, our number one could be right under our nose (Higgins).  But we must get a quality OL starter out of the draft.  Don't get greedy; first things first.

Short answer:  Sewell.

I'll be happy with Pitts, Chase or Sewell.  I think any of those guys makes a huge impact on our team.  I think Pitts is the best WR in this draft. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 02:20 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: As i stated in another thread, my true concern regarding a pick of Chase at #5 is the following:

#38 - Asante Samuel
#69 - Milton Williams

We have a lot of depth at CB right now, I would be surprised to see them take Samuel even though I really like him.

I see them looking more at edge or LB in round 2 with the people who will drop out of round 1.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 02:35 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'll be happy with Pitts, Chase or Sewell.  I think any of those guys makes a huge impact on our team.  I think Pitts is the best WR in this draft. 

Kyle Pitts could be the best offensive gamechanger in.this whole draft.  When.was the last time the Bengals had 
A player that uniquely changed the position?
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 02:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: We have a lot of depth at CB right now, I would be surprised to see them take Samuel even though I really like him.

I see them looking more at edge or LB in round 2 with the people who will drop out of round 1.

I agree, but for the sake of this discussion, the question was what would you do if the draft fell like this in round 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 03:55 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I agree, but for the sake of this discussion, the question was what would you do if the draft fell like this in round 1.

If we took those 3 first, I'd double down on my under bet for this season ASAP. 

This OL is the single biggest concern on the team and if they ignore it till day 3 again, we are screwed.

Good news, if they take Chase, then those two next, the team will be horrible and it should end the run of Taylor and Lou here.

Reply/Quote
Sewell, obviously.
Reply/Quote

#38 - Asante Samuel
#69 - Milton Williams

Question? Is Meinerz, Cosmi, Eichenberg, Carman, Trey Smith, Darunz, Cleveland, all gone?

If so Sewell is the obvious pick lol
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 04:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Question? Is Meinerz, Cosmi, Eichenberg, Carman, Trey Smith, Darunz, Cleveland, all gone?

If so Sewell is the obvious pick lol

LOL.  It's really not relevant to this discussion.  We've seen the curveballs before and the "BPA" rules the board argument.

It's basically a question of who do you take if you can't be sure that you can address the needs later on because of the way the draft falls.
Reply/Quote
If we don't take offensive line the first couple rounds the draft will be meaningless to me since the team will be horrible.
Reply/Quote

#38 - Asante Samuel
#69 - Milton Williams

Tiger
You are here!

If this organization drafts Chase and doesn't draft two of the best offensive lineman in the next two picks....
I believe KC is speaking very loudly about protecting your franchise at all costs. This team chose not to do that as if it wasn't a big deal. Now next weekend the plan will be revealed for all to see. My question will be what position actually trumps that three draft strategy if you go Chase. YOUR NOT DRAFTING FOR NEED OUTSIDE OF OFFENSIVE LINE. PERIOD
Reply/Quote
This team plays in a division with 3 very tough defensive fronts, all 3 have different ways of beating you with their offense. Read the writing on the wall, if you want to compete in the AFCN, you HAVE to have an OL that can give your passer at least 3+ seconds of solid protection, as well as be able to move the pile on 3rd and short.

You MUST build a team to defeat your divisional opponents, otherwise you might as well chalk up at least 6 losses, before facing any other teams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 06:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This team plays in a division with 3 very tough defensive fronts, all 3 have different ways of beating you with their offense.  Read the writing on the wall, if you want to compete in the AFCN, you HAVE to have an OL that can give your passer at least 3+ seconds of solid protection, as well as be able to move the pile on 3rd and short.

You MUST build a team to defeat your divisional opponents, otherwise you might as well chalk up at least 6 losses, before facing any other teams.

This is why I bet the under lol. We need 7 wins to beat that and when I look at the defenses we face next season matched with Taylor's play calling, it just doesn't look possible to hit 7.

Reply/Quote
If we draft Sewell at 5 then yeah I would be happy with the other two picks, although Samuel pick ( not saying he's a bad player) would be the one I would change, we either a receiver like Marshall or another the highest rated DE/DT that falls to us.
Reply/Quote

#38 - Asante Samuel
#69 - Milton Williams

Take Chase, trade next year's 1st to the Saints for Ramcyk, and trade back up into the 3rd for a G.  Though the Samuel pick really doesn't make any sense.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 06:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This team plays in a division with 3 very tough defensive fronts, all 3 have different ways of beating you with their offense.  Read the writing on the wall, if you want to compete in the AFCN, you HAVE to have an OL that can give your passer at least 3+ seconds of solid protection, as well as be able to move the pile on 3rd and short.

So if we're building to beat our rivals, why not build the team like the Bills or Chiefs, you know, the teams that beat the Ravens and Browns in the playoffs?  Neither team had great OL's, but they had tons of weapons that created matchup problems.  

Nobody is going to say we shouldn't try to upgrade the OL, but building to beat your rivals and building like your rivals are two completely different things.  If you want to beat your rivals consistently, look at the things the teams that are beating them are doing.  
Reply/Quote

#38 - Asante Samuel
#69 - Milton Williams

The truth is that the front office will have screwed themselves over either way at that point. If we have to wait until that late to address the line or WR, that group will have a fairly glaring weakness. 

After Higgins and Boyd that room is pretty empty too. I like the value Tate provides as a redzone guy and 3rd down chain mover, but he isn't much more than that. I also think that Burrow can elevate people to a degree, but even that only goes so far. The idea some people have of "just put average guys out there with him" seems like buying a sports car and then putting the cheapest gas you can find in it.

Past draft blunders have made the #5 pick both right and wrong no matter who they go with.
Reply/Quote

#38 - Asante Samuel
#69 - Milton Williams

LOL. That would be a fun new way to approach the draft. Teams vote for who belongs in the first round and who doesn't. Players with the most votes are in. Then teams have to pick their 2 & 3 rounders before they select their first round pick. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2021, 02:40 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Kyle Pitts could be the best offensive gamechanger in.this whole draft.  When.was the last time the Bengals had 
A player that uniquely changed the position?

And to think we could have Allen throwing to him.. Cry

I dont see him changing position since TEs have been evolving especially last two decades, he just might move to the Top over time.
Reply/Quote