Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pimiento Cheese
Anyone else a pimiento cheese fan, around here? I just tried my hand at making it for the first time based on a recipe from Southern Living. Turned out pretty good. I didn't know if anyone on here had a favorite recipe, or anything.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I love that stuff. Have never tried to make it myself.

I used to make meals of crackers, chicken salad, and pimiento cheese spread.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2018, 03:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I love that stuff. Have never tried to make it myself.

I used to make meals of crackers, chicken salad, and pimiento cheese spread.

No one else in my family eats it, but I love the stuff. My office decided to do a picnic this weekend and, while I don't like people, I know it looks good when you go to these sorts of things. By the time the list got around to me, though, the obvious stuff had been called for. So I but "TBD" down, hoping for inspiration. That came when I read the latest Southern Living an dit had five recipes for pimiento cheese in it.

So, I made the standard one and have some crackers and celery to go with it. It's pretty damn good, I must say. And it's pretty damn easy to make, too.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Love the stuff.  My wife makes some, as well as my mother.  Wife uses shredded sharp cheddar, it's killer.  My favorite store bought is Price's Pimiento Cheese.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2018, 02:17 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Love the stuff.  My wife makes some, as well as my mother.  Wife uses shredded sharp cheddar, it's killer.  My favorite store bought is Price's Pimiento Cheese.

I did a combo of sharp and extra-sharp. Gives it a little extra tang.

Reply/Quote
Anything cheese, bacon, or beer count me in.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Bacon, Beer, Cheese dip.

https://www.foodiecrush.com/bacon-beer-cheese-dip/

[Image: Bacon-Beer-Cheese-Dip-foodiecrush.com-019.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2018, 07:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I did a combo of sharp and extra-sharp. Gives it a little extra tang.

That sounds good....love extra sharp.....use Duke's mayo FTW.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2018, 11:17 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: That sounds good....love extra sharp.....use Duke's mayo FTW.

Why would you use any other mayo? That's just sacrilege. There is no mayo but Duke's and no catsup but Heinz.

Reply/Quote
"It's the caviar of the South."
Reply/Quote
Just had it for the first about a week ago actually with a Sun Chip/cracker hybrid type of thing.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 04:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why would you use any other mayo? That's just sacrilege. There is no mayo but Duke's and no catsup but Heinz.

No Heinz of any kind is even allowed in my house.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2018, 12:02 AM)samhain Wrote: "It's the caviar of the South."

Truth.

(07-15-2018, 12:35 AM)treee Wrote: Just had it for the first about a week ago actually with a Sun Chip/cracker hybrid type of thing.

So now you just need to try it between two pieces of white bread cut into little triangles, and on celery. Then you will have tried the pimiento cheese trifecta.

(07-15-2018, 08:17 AM)McC Wrote: No Heinz of any kind is even allowed in my house.

That's on you if you choose to use sub-par condiments.

The only reason I would use a different catsup is if I made my own.

Reply/Quote
I live in the Palmetto state. The palmetto cheese sucks! It's full of palmetto bugs! ...and trees.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote