Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pitts Calijah Kancey
I saw videos of him and he's drawn my attention as a potential target, maybe in 1. What's everyone's opinion on a quick twitched 3T early this year? Quick viewings i like him but curious if people even see 3T as an option after getting Carter in 3 last year.

I've seen praises for him with Donald comps (they aren't saying he is him but they play similar styles and of course same college).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's only 6'. But geez, 14 TFL, 7 sacks, 10 QB hurries.
Reply/Quote
I think Rd 1 is a huge reach. Rd 2 a slight reach. Late 2nd/3rd is his territory. Late 3rd/4th is a bargain. Though we do need DT help. Carter has shown nada.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 02:10 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think Rd 1 is a huge reach. Rd 2 a slight reach. Late 2nd/3rd is his territory. Late 3rd/4th is a bargain. Though we do need DT help.  Carter has shown nada.

I based that round on PFF honestly. They have him go to KC in round 1 in about every mock simulator I ran that I didn't pick him.
Reply/Quote
He's a first RD talent that will go much later due to size.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 03:59 PM)J24 Wrote: He's a first RD talent that will go much later due to size.

Are we even sure thats true? Again, not wanting to compare him to a GOAT but his draft profile reads almost word for word as Donald. Distrupers are high value, even if undersized. If anything, it may make them better having the natural leverage.

Ironically, the guy who wrote Donald's profile had him listed as perrienial back up and round 4-5 pick lol.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/aaron-donald/3200444f-4e13-4977-da01-4e2f082de38b
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 02:07 PM)Goalpost Wrote: He's only 6'.  But geez, 14 TFL, 7 sacks, 10 QB hurries.

The best part, that seems like his norm, not anomaly.

2021 season: 22 tackles, 5 assists
38 pressures:
  - 19 QB hurries
  - 10 QB hits
  - 9 sacks
Reply/Quote
Not towards him specifically, but I’d have a hard time justifying DT early unless the guy is an absolute BPA steal head and shoulders above the next best player.

DE should be a bigger priority. CB, maybe safety, LB if we lose Pratt. OT, WR (start as #4, then work the way up when we start to lose Boyd/Tee), and TE would all be bigger needs imo.

I’m not opposed to DT on day 2 if we knock out some bigger needs early though depending on who is available. It is definitely too early to give up on Carter though.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 11:07 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Not towards him specifically, but I’d have a hard time justifying DT early unless the guy is an absolute BPA steal head and shoulders above the next best player.

DE should be a bigger priority. CB, maybe safety, LB if we lose Pratt. OT, WR (start as #4, then work the way up when we start to lose Boyd/Tee), and TE would all be bigger needs imo.

I’m not opposed to DT on day 2 if we knock out some bigger needs early though depending on who is available. It is definitely too early to give up on Carter though.

Understandable. DE feels like the pick based on last years dream of Karlaftis for them but with depth of class and if we see how Ossai turns out in the coming weeks, it may push it down.

CB very could easily be the pick but unless one of the top 4 are there, doesn't feel like the value is there.

Safety doesn't seem likely with Dax last year and likeliness they bring back Bell (unless he just prices himself out).

OT after the top 3 (Skoronski, Johnson Jr, Jones) is ugh in round 1.

WR, no. The talent isn't there for our needs and won't be as Baltimore picks before us.

TE maybe, maybe not. Mayer is projected before us, maybe even top 10. No other TE are 1st round talents atm.

LB is only an option if Simpson is there, and he may go early with lack of LB talent in this class.
Reply/Quote
For Round 1:

Given the depth of the draft and our needs, I think CB or DE will be most likely. There are 6-7 CBs who are late first/early 2nd worthy. And about the same # of DE/EDGE/OLB types. How CTB and Ossai play down the stretch will certainly have an impact. As will how FA shakes out (Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Perine).

In FA, I expect Bates to go and for Hill to step in for him. I expect Bell to be the top priority to re-sign as Lou won't want to lose BOTH safeties. We probably lose 1 of Pratt/Hurst unless they both take a bit of a discount to stay. If ine dies go, I think we have a better shot at bringing back both Apple & Perine.

Most oikely to pick:

1) CB. Apple, Flowers, and Davis are all FAs and Chido is coming off injury. Porter, Ringo, Gonzalez, Smith, Phillips, and Witherspoon are all Rd 1 worthy. Forbes is close. I really like Witherspoon, though he likely does not have top end speed. I think there is a significant drop after those 7.

2) DE. Wilson, Murphy, Van Ness, Verse, and Foskey could all be Rd1 selections. As coukd OLB/Edge types like Anderson, Carter III, Smith, and maybe White. That is a lot of pass rushing. Some of it will likely be there in Rd2, with guys like Harrison, Tuipulotu, and Ojulari.

3) OT. But only if one of the top 3 guys fall to us. Thomas is possible but unlikely. Rd 2-4 (Mauch, Wright, D. Jones, Duncan, Bergeron, Freeland, Harrison) also in play. I think Jonah & Collins are still the likely starters next year.

4) S. Only if we loose Bell. Branch or Johnson in play then.

5)TE. Only if we lose Hurst AND Mayer is available. Otherwise, mid round (Washington, Kraft, Musgrave, Kincaid, Stover, etc). Sample is likely gone as well. TE2 needs filled. I like Wilcox more as TE3.

6) LB. Only if we lose Pratt and even if we do, I am not sure there is a Rd1 LB in this draft. Maybe Simpson or Sanders, but I think we really like ADG & Bailey. Rd2-4 LB seems more likely if we lose Pratt.

7) DT/NT. I really like the kid from Baylor but are we honna draft a NT when we already have Reader & Tupou & Tufele signed next year? And more oressing needs? 3T is a different story, but we likely only roster 2 and I doybt we give up on Carter after 1 year.

8) WR. If one of the top 3 falls to us, we'd have to think hard. Maybe Flowers as well. But with Boyd, Highins, and Chase all inked next year, the need is not great. And Irwin/Taylor have been decent. Still, some non-Chase speed and/or replacements for Higgins/Boyd if we think losing them down the road is likely has to be considered.

9) RB. If Robinson is sitting there, maybe. If not, no. If we lose Oerine, maybe a mid-rounder. The positional value AND having Mixon under contract scream no.

10) IOL. Cappa, Karras, Volson is going nowhere. Not that we could not use better depth or an upgrade, but I don't see Rd 1 IOL..
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 03:57 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: For Round 1:

Given the depth of the draft and our needs, I think CB or DE will be most likely. There are 6-7 CBs who are late first/early 2nd worthy. And about the same # of DE/EDGE/OLB types. How CTB and Ossai play down the stretch will certainly have an impact. As will how FA shakes out (Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Perine).

In FA, I expect Bates to go and for Hill to step in for him. I expect Bell to be the top priority to re-sign as Lou won't want to lose BOTH safeties. We probably lose 1 of Pratt/Hurst unless they both take a bit of a discount to stay. If ine dies go, I think we have a better shot at bringing back both Apple & Perine.

Most oikely to pick:

1) CB. Apple, Flowers, and Davis are all FAs and Chido is coming off injury. Porter, Ringo, Gonzalez, Smith, Phillips, and Witherspoon are all Rd 1 worthy.  Forbes is close. I really like Witherspoon, though he likely does not have top end speed. I think there is a significant drop after those 7.

2) DE. Wilson, Murphy, Van Ness, Verse, and Foskey could all be Rd1 selections. As coukd OLB/Edge types like Anderson, Carter III, Smith, and maybe White. That is a lot of pass rushing. Some of it will likely be there in Rd2, with guys like Harrison, Tuipulotu, and Ojulari.

3) OT. But only if one of the top 3 guys fall to us. Thomas is possible but unlikely. Rd 2-4 (Mauch, Wright, D. Jones, Duncan, Bergeron, Freeland, Harrison) also in play. I think Jonah & Collins are still the likely starters next year.

4) S. Only if we loose Bell. Branch or Johnson in play then.

5)TE. Only if we lose Hurst AND Mayer is available. Otherwise, mid round (Washington, Kraft, Musgrave, Kincaid, Stover, etc). Sample is likely gone as well. TE2 needs filled. I like Wilcox more as TE3.

6) LB.  Only if we lose Pratt and even if we do, I am not sure there is a Rd1 LB in this draft. Maybe Simpson or Sanders, but I think we really like ADG & Bailey. Rd2-4 LB seems more likely if we lose Pratt.

7) DT/NT. I really like the kid from Baylor but are we honna draft a NT when we already have Reader & Tupou & Tufele signed next year? And more oressing needs? 3T is a different story, but we likely only roster 2 and I doybt we give up on Carter after 1 year.

8) WR. If one of the top 3 falls to us, we'd have to think hard. Maybe Flowers as well. But with Boyd, Highins, and Chase all inked next year, the need is not great. And Irwin/Taylor have been decent. Still, some non-Chase speed and/or replacements for Higgins/Boyd if we think losing them down the road is likely has to be considered.

9) RB. If Robinson is sitting there, maybe. If not, no. If we lose Oerine, maybe a mid-rounder. The positional value AND having Mixon under contract scream no.

10) IOL. Cappa, Karras, Volson is going nowhere. Not that we could not use better depth or an upgrade, but I don't see Rd 1 IOL..

On DT: You could be right. Depending on the depth we keep, 3T may be off the table, especially with just investing the 3rd rounder on Zach (even if he's yet to flash anything).

CB: I would be scared of Phillips size in our division and could see the others gone before we pick. I like Forbes but more in round 2 (maybe a trade back situation).

DE: I do agree with it being a top pick. It would have been the pick if Karlaftis was available. But seeing our depth play more, I'd say they are comfortable with Ossai and Sample right now. Plus with the depth this year what it is, you could get a good talent all the way down in 3 (McGuire perhaps). I need to do more research but also interested in checking out the Washington Edges as mid round picks.

WR/LB/TE: I don't see any of the limited 1st round talents making it to us at 31. 

S: I just don't see them letting Bell get away. If he does, then yes, this moves to top of the list.

RB: I could see Robinson OR Gibbs (curious why you don't think Gibbs is a 1st round RB). This would allow us to reallocate the funds from Mixons contract to more valued positions. Even without a 1st rounder, this is a decent depth RB class with Charbonnet, Achane, Gray, and Tucker.

As such, a class with Kancey, Forbes and McGuire sounds pretty sexy imo. Build the trenches and add a ballhawk.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2022, 11:56 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: On DT: You could be right. Depending on the depth we keep, 3T may be off the table, especially with just investing the 3rd rounder on Zach (even if he's yet to flash anything).

CB: I would be scared of Phillips size in our division and could see the others gone before we pick. I like Forbes but more in round 2 (maybe a trade back situation).

DE: I do agree with it being a top pick. It would have been the pick if Karlaftis was available. But seeing our depth play more, I'd say they are comfortable with Ossai and Sample right now. Plus with the depth this year what it is, you could get a good talent all the way down in 3 (McGuire perhaps). I need to do more research but also interested in checking out the Washington Edges as mid round picks.

WR/LB/TE: I don't see any of the limited 1st round talents making it to us at 31. 

S: I just don't see them letting Bell get away. If he does, then yes, this moves to top of the list.

RB: I could see Robinson OR Gibbs (curious why you don't think Gibbs is a 1st round RB). This would allow us to reallocate the funds from Mixons contract to more valued positions. Even without a 1st rounder, this is a decent depth RB class with Charbonnet, Achane, Gray, and Tucker.

As such, a class with Kancey, Forbes and McGuire sounds pretty sexy imo. Build the trenches and add a ballhawk.

We are mainly in agreement. For the record, I agree Forbes is probably Rd2 (but likely gone when we pick). Also agree we favor bigger CBs, given our division. But other teams will differ. Someone will take Phillips Rd1. 

At RB, I have size/durability concerns about Gibbs. Not sure he is an every down back. Or if he works in short yardage. Rd2, sure. Rd1, I want a guy who I think can start sooner rather than later (1 year max). 
Reply/Quote
Karl Brooks.

Make the call at round 3.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals already have the 8th and 14th highest cap hit DTs in the NFL in 2023.

Can't be spending 1st round picks on a backup DT when there's other needs (OT, CB, TE, WR if Higgins demands a contract/trade, RB if they release Mixon).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2022, 11:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals already have the 8th and 14th highest cap hit DTs in the NFL in 2023.

Can't be spending 1st round picks on a backup DT when there's other needs (OT, CB, TE, WR if Higgins demands a contract/trade, RB if they release Mixon).

As of this post we're 31st  in TFLs and 30th in Sacks. We need a game changer at the 3T position if the defense wants to maintain their play next season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 01:50 AM)J24 Wrote: As of this post we're 31st  in TFLs and 30th in Sacks. We need a game changer at the 3T position if the defense wants to maintain their play next season.

As much as I agree with this post, the following weeks with Adeniji will tell us where we stand on a lot of things. If HA can man the RT spot, then we can look at improving the D/replenishing high value contracts. If he struggles, RT is a MUST. Even with slight over reach unless its addressed in FA.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2022, 01:50 AM)J24 Wrote: As of this post we're 31st  in TFLs and 30th in Sacks. We need a game changer at the 3T position if the defense wants to maintain their play next season.

Gotta get more pressure from the front 4 and shore up the o line. I could see the Bengals letting Jonah walk, they can’t pay everyone, and Jonah is decent/serviceable but not elite. Also going to have to make decisions at LB. Personally, I’d be fine letting Mixon go and drafting cheap RB’s. Mixon isn’t worth his contract.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
I don't see a DT as a huge need in the draft. I do believe as much as I love Boyd, I love Higgins and Chase more. Looking ahead, I can't see almost 60 million tied up for 3 WR's.

I can see the Bengals trading or cutting Boyd thus saving 8.9 million (after 1.4 in dead cap) in 2023. I also see us cutting Wilson has not been healthy and saving 2 million in cap space. Then, we have the money to sign Bell and Pratt with the cap space we have entering 2023.

I see us drafting a WR in round 1, 2 or 3 to replace Boyd. I see Irwin as the slot while we get the rookie acclimated to the NFL.

I see a CB or OT as our 1st round pick. But, all could change is Adeniji plays well in Collin's absence.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2023, 12:22 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Gotta get more pressure from the front 4 and shore up the o line.  I could see the Bengals letting Jonah walk, they can’t pay everyone, and Jonah is decent/serviceable but not elite.  Also going to have to make decisions at LB.  Personally, I’d be fine letting Mixon go and drafting cheap RB’s.  Mixon isn’t worth his contract.

I don't believe that will happen this year.  I think that when the Bengals took the 5th year option for Williams, that it became fully guaranteed money.  As has been mentioned in other draft discussion threads, it's not exactly a 'bumper crop' year for OTs in this draft.  While not "elite", Williams is decent and plays with some grit.  If they move on OT in this draft, it should be to find the RT for the next 10 years.

As far as interior DL in this draft?  I don't foresee the Bengals taking one in the 1st two days of the draft, unless whomever they feel might be the next DJ Reader should just happen to fall into their lap.  I kind of feel like they'll be looking to load up on young receiving weapons and continuing to invest in the secondary this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 01:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't see a DT as a huge need in the draft. I do believe as much as I love Boyd, I love Higgins and Chase more. Looking ahead, I can't see almost 60 million tied up for 3 WR's.

I can see the Bengals trading or cutting Boyd thus saving 8.9 million (after 1.4 in dead cap) in 2023. I also see us cutting Wilson has not been healthy and saving 2 million in cap space. Then, we have the money to sign Bell and Pratt with the cap space we have entering 2023.

I see us drafting a WR in round 1, 2 or 3 to replace Boyd. I see Irwin as the slot while we get the rookie acclimated to the NFL.

I see a CB or OT as our 1st round pick. But, all could change is Adeniji plays well in Collin's absence.

I don't see it as a Boyd-or-Higgins decision. It's probably a Higgins-or-Chase decision and that isn't really a choice as the answer always has to be Chase.

Higgins: $25-27m/yr
Chase: $30-35m/yr

Boyd doesn't move the needle enough financially, even if you trade him, to make paying both of them plausible. You said you can't see almost $60m tied up in 3 WRs, but signing both Higgins and Chase will probably average $60m for 2 WRs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote