Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pizza Solutions
OK, I am going on record. I will never order a pizza from a pizza parlor again, at least not in the wasteland I live in now. The chains suck and the independents are even WORSE in my community.

I live by myself and don't see myself taking the time to mix dough, wait for it to rise, pound it out... I would have to start making pizza waaay before I wanted it - which is supposed to be the benefit of a freaking pizza parlor - they anticipated your need and had a good dough and fresh ingredients to bake a pie for you when you wanted one. Great concept, but implementation in this town fails miserably and consistently and I have had it. But I need pizza...

I am not a fan of frozen, and am trying to eat less packaged/processed food overall. But I still want pizza.

So far my solution is to use flour tortillas and while they are a serviceable delivery vehicle for sauce, cheese, and whatever else I add they are kind of a poor substitute for a good pizza crust. Anyone know of a crust you can buy that would be better than tortillas?

Or maybe I should try stacking three or four tortillas? I am not sure that is going to help the flavor and consistency any though.

I would even consider "doctoring" frozen pizza. I used to do that with Totino's because they were cheaper than anything else and seemed at least as good. So let me hear it. What are the best pre-made crusts or frozen pies out there?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 10:29 AM)xxlt Wrote: OK, I am going on record. I will never order a pizza from a pizza parlor again, at least not in the wasteland I live in now. The chains suck and the independents are even WORSE in my community.

I live by myself and don't see myself taking the time to mix dough, wait for it to rise, pound it out... I would have to start making pizza waaay before I wanted it - which is supposed to be the benefit of a freaking pizza parlor - they anticipated your need and had a good dough and fresh ingredients to bake a pie for you when you wanted one. Great concept, but implementation in this town fails miserably and consistently and I have had it. But I need pizza...

I am not a fan of frozen, and am trying to eat less packaged/processed food overall. But I still want pizza.

So far my solution is to use flour tortillas and while they are a serviceable delivery vehicle for sauce, cheese, and whatever else I add they are kind of a poor substitute for a good pizza crust. Anyone know of a crust you can buy that would be better than tortillas?

Or maybe I should try stacking three or four tortillas? I am not sure that is going to help the flavor and consistency any though.

I would even consider "doctoring" frozen pizza. I used to do that with Totino's because they were cheaper than anything else and seemed at least as good. So let me hear it. What are the best pre-made crusts or frozen pies out there?

Good luck with your search. I've yet to stumble upon a really good stand alone crust to make my own. I like doctoring up pizza's as well and have done so on a frozen pizza many times. Good crust is hard to find. I like your idea about the tortilla as a crust and actually layering them. However the flavor would seem a bit off.

Recently my wife and I were out doing our thing and there was a new pizza chain that opened we decided to try. Name of the chain is "Rapid Fire Pizza." Both of us were pretty pleased with the experience. It's almost like a topping smorgasbord. If you've ever been to a Chipotles Mexican Grill (set up like a larger version of Subway), Rapid Fire is a lot like that where you pick your own crust - sauce - toppings, etc. It was a good enough experience to where I didn't have the urge to pee on the fire hydrant outside when leaving. Cool

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. I almost forgot. They sell beer too. ThumbsUp   

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 10:29 AM)xxlt Wrote: OK, I am going on record. I will never order a pizza from a pizza parlor again, at least not in the wasteland I live in now. The chains suck and the independents are even WORSE in my community.

Two options for ya.

First, how about french bread pizzas?  Grab some 12" sub rolls.  Cut them in half, and separate the tops from the bottoms.  Add pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese, then throw them in the oven or under the broiler.

Option 2.  Do you have a Sam's Club or Costco nearby?  Both sell ready to cook pies that you just have to throw in the oven, and I think you can actually buy just the prepared dough as well.  They are pretty decent.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if your local Publix doesn't have those available.
Reply/Quote
Rolls of pizza dough are right next to the canned biscuits in the grocery store. You can buy pre-made crusts in the bread section but they suck compared to the rolls of raw dough.

You can keep them in your refrigerator and back up a pizza quickly.
Reply/Quote
You can buy the frozen pizza dough in the grocery. Its actually pretty good.

If you dont want it processed, you can make the dough yourself, freeze it, and use it when you want. Pizza dough is actually pretty easy to make but it does take some time (letting it rise or proof) like you said.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 05:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You can buy the frozen pizza dough in the grocery. Its actually pretty good.

If you dont want it processed, you can make the dough yourself, freeze it, and use it when you want. Pizza dough is actually pretty easy to make but it does take some time (letting it rise or proof) like you said.

Homemade is super easy.  Just google "easy pizza dough", and pick the one you like the best.  We've made some that I would compare to pizza shop quality.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Dough is fine but frozen's quicker.

Making pizza's sloppy with liquor.

[Image: th?id=OIP.8O1-N8Rc1YlA40X4IZYBkwDOEs&pid...=300&h=300]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 10:55 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Two options for ya.

First, how about french bread pizzas?  Grab some 12" sub rolls.  Cut them in half, and separate the tops from the bottoms.  Add pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese, then throw them in the oven or under the broiler.

Option 2.  Do you have a Sam's Club or Costco nearby?  Both sell ready to cook pies that you just have to throw in the oven, and I think you can actually buy just the prepared dough as well.  They are pretty decent.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if  your local Publix doesn't have those available.

French bread is one I have not tried since I was a kid and then it was probably a frozen bread. I might be too doughy but I will experiment with that idea. The only thing I have seen at Publix after many searches is Bobboli which kinda sucks and Mama Rosa which is small and slightly better, but I have decided not even as good as a tortilla or two.

I do have a Costco card and I have never explored their take and bake pies (the ones I have seen looked big enough to feed a backfield and I live alone so I was kinda put off by the size) but I will given 'em a try and look there for blank crusts as well.

Thanks!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 03:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rolls of pizza dough are right next to the canned biscuits in the grocery store.  You can buy pre-made crusts in the bread section but they suck compared to the rolls of raw dough.

Never seen the rolls, although I remember looking once I think a few years ago when I raised this same topic. If I ever find them is there a brand you recommend? Pillsbury? Another?
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 05:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You can buy the frozen pizza dough in the grocery. Its actually pretty good.

Frozen or refrigerated? Got a brand you like?
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 04:53 PM)xxlt Wrote: Frozen or refrigerated? Got a brand you like?

Its frozen. Not sure of the brand, just it should be in your grocerys frozen food section near the frozen breads and rolls. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Or make mini-pizzas using English muffins.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 06:23 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Or make mini-pizzas using English muffins.

Those are badass!  As a kid, I got grounded for a week once.  For binge making English Muffin Pizzas, until we were out of ingredients.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Don't know how much you're into backyard fun, but camp pie pizzas are pretty good too. Just have to be familiar with using a camp pie iron, sucks when they get burnt all to hell, wasted filling...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 03:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rolls of pizza dough are right next to the canned biscuits in the grocery store.  You can buy pre-made crusts in the bread section but they suck compared to the rolls of raw dough.

Agreed.  The Pillsbury crusts are great for a quick pizza.  You get a light, flaky crust that's better than anything you'll find on a frozen pizza, and it's as easy as popping the can on the side of the counter.  Throw on some Pizza Quick sauce, a few toppings, and you have a hot pizza in just a few minutes. 

For a nice addition, buy some mozzarella string cheese.  Cut them in half lengthwise and roll them into the crust for a stuffed crust experience.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
RE: frozen crust dough

How long does it take to thaw? You can get simple frozen bread dough that makes great loafs fresh from the oven, but you have to get them out 24 hours in advance.

Is the frozen pizza dough like this? Does it need time to thaw slowly and rise?
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 06:23 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Or make mini-pizzas using English muffins.

Every single person should know the magic of english muffin pizzas.  You don't have to make a whole pie if you just want a couple of pieces.
Reply/Quote
I keep browned ground beef in my freezer. It is already spiced the way I like it. Thaw out a bit to use on pizza all the time. I eat a ton of frozen pizza, abd the sausage and/or pepperoni toppings ofet produce a small pond of liquid fat on top of the pizza.

I know pizza is not healthy, but that processed orangish oil is kind of scary. And the lean ground beef tastes just as good to me.

I also use it in burrittos, or on top of nachoes. Lots of times I need a little browned ground beef and don't feel like messing with a whole pound.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 04:50 PM)xxlt Wrote: French bread is one I have not tried since I was a kid and then it was probably a frozen bread. I might be too doughy but I will experiment with that idea. The only thing I have seen at Publix after many searches is Bobboli which kinda sucks and Mama Rosa which is small and slightly better, but I have decided not even as good as a tortilla or two.

I do have a Costco card and I have never explored their take and bake pies (the ones I have seen looked big enough to feed a backfield and I live alone so I was kinda put off by the size) but I will given 'em a try and look there for blank crusts as well.

Thanks!

Don't forget that French bread pizzas can also be made with...   french bread!  I just like using sub rolls myself.
Reply/Quote

Thanks for the new idea! Never heard of that one.
Reply/Quote