Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plain and simple
(10-04-2019, 02:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's not really about Zac Taylor but the past decade. 
After years of being on that plateau, the fans don't want to see a decline again. The decline has been happening for three years and is continuing. Patience is running out for most fans.

Well, most of  thus know that...but I've seen plenty about Zac after four games. Hell, just about every thread. One post said AZ and CIN were similar because they have "clueless HCs". Mellow

As usual, the FO is behind the times. The rebuild SHOULD have started after that bullshit in the '15 playoffs, but no.......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 07:42 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: In 1960, Tom Landry started his coaching career at 0-11-1 (2 SB wins)
In 1989, Jimmy Johnson started his coaching career at 1-15. (2 SB wins)
In 1991, Bill Belichick started his coaching career. Went 6-10. (6 SB Championships)
In 1999, Andy Reid started his career and went 5-11 (1 NFC Championship - No SB's but has assembled an awesome team in KC).

I can list plenty more I'm sure, but I think my point is clear enough that you can't judge a coach by 4 games in the 1st year of his coaching career. Specially when the team he inherited was not in great shape. Sure we have talented 2-3 year rookies, but they didn't get the experience they needed because the previous coach preferred seniority over talent most of the time (not in all cases).

Although my homerism leaned me towards a 10-6 record prediction, that doesn't mean since he's failing at meeting my first expectations he needs to go. If we run him out of town, we could easily find ourselves being haunted like Cleveland fans have been since they did that to BB and he wen't to NE and has tore up the NFL since. ZT is football smart. Let him learn even further from his mistakes that rookie coaches make. If we get into the 2-3rd year and he has not progressed? Then it's time to go, but not until then.

None of those coaches won superbowls with owners as bad as mike brown... it's too early to judge taylor, I agree there. He is going to need some definite fo help in the next couple years to fix this pathetic team, but it's hard for me not to see a complete meltdown first if we dont start winning some games, and him getting shitcanned because of it. We all know mb and company is the real culprit. 
Reply/Quote
First year coach, it to be expected. But Vince Lombardi couldn’t get this roster to the playoffs. OL and LB play are beyond subpar. I’m not a fan of Taylor (the Sample draft pick and DC coaching search fiasco soured me from the start), but really wouldn’t matter who coaching this team this year.
Reply/Quote
I'm liking Zac Taylor. Sure, we're 0-4, but 2 of those were very close games. And I'm seeing a fire from Taylor on the sidelines, getting in the ref's ear, that I've wished for from Marvin for the last 16 years. It's laughable people are ready to jump ship on him already. He lost 4 of his offensive line "starters" prior to the season even starting. He lost his #1 receiver prior to the season even starting. He's missing a starting cornerback, prior to the season starting. Did anyone really expect him to come out winning immediately?
I'm also liking what I see from Lou. When the defense is not absolutely gassed from being on the field too much, they are playing well. Billings seems to have made a huge leap this year. Give them a little bit of time...…. geesh.
Reply/Quote
3 losing seasons in a row, why not even 3 winning seasons in a row.. has that ever happened since Mike took over?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 10:31 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: 3 losing seasons in a row, why not even 3 winning seasons in a row.. has that ever happened since Mike took over?

My point is the man is a 1st time HC who has been strapped by injuries before the season even started. Why not give the man a minute to get things going.....
Reply/Quote
In preseason we heard ZT would win at least 6 games and majority seemed happy with 8 wins. 8 wins looks impossible at this point. Is it the HC and his lack of experience? I don't know, all I know is ZT signed a contract for over 2 million a year so he needs to win games and remove any doubt the losses are on him.

Any fan has to see ZT has made some bad moves in the close losses and field unprepared teams against SF and Pittsburgh in blow out losses.

But, this week we play a team as bad as us, so let's see if he can beat a bad team at home and jump start his career.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 09:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm liking Zac Taylor. Sure, we're 0-4, but 2 of those were very close games. And I'm seeing a fire from Taylor on the sidelines, getting in the ref's ear, that I've wished for from Marvin for the last 16 years. It's laughable people are ready to jump ship on him already. He lost 4 of his offensive line "starters" prior to the season even starting. He lost his #1 receiver prior to the season even starting. He's missing a starting cornerback, prior to the season starting. Did anyone really expect him to come out winning immediately?
I'm also liking what I see from Lou. When the defense is not absolutely gassed from being on the field too much, they are playing well. Billings seems to have made a huge leap this year. Give them a little bit of time...…. geesh.

Yes, yes, yes! Great points and true.

Reply/Quote
Hard to tell with this abysmal offensive line the owners gave him
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 06:45 PM)Always a Bengal Wrote: Part of the reason for the  Bengals poor performance  is that Zac Taylor is being out coached. This guy is not ready to be a head coach in the NFL right now.,  He is in over his head now.

And I bet you were one of the many on this board giving everyone high fives when he was hired. Or you were many on this board saying Marvin was the root of all evil.

The problem wasn’t Marvin. I don’t live in the Cincinnati metro area, but I would be damn ashamed calling this organization mine. It just disgust me how inept the Brown family really is. There is no reason other than simple ineptness for an organization to be this incompetent for 30 years. The residents of Cincinnati will have to make a choice if this sorry ass ownership is worth the embarrassment. After 45 years I am on the verge of moving on as a fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
This team just finished 3 losing seasons in a row. They lost their #1 draft pick LT, lost their #1 WR, did little to fix the Oline and it's horrible, have a QB that can't operate without a stout Oline, No running game. Then add in the defense is right next to awful.

Am I happy with what I've seen from ZT so far ? No

Am I gonna pin this all on him ? No

Can he win here ? jury still out
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 09:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This team just finished 3 losing seasons in a row. They lost their #1 draft pick LT, lost their #1 WR, did little to fix the Oline and it's horrible, have a QB that can't operate without a stout Oline, No running game. Then add in the defense is right next to awful.

Am I happy with what I've seen from ZT so far ? No

Am I gonna pin this all on him ? No

Can he win here ? jury still out

I'd say that's all accurate. There are MANY problems here. It's not as simple as just 1 thing or 2 things.

That said, it's hard to tell IF Belicheck could win under Mike Brown. They'd likely clash over control issues.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 09:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say that's all accurate. There are MANY problems here. It's not as simple as just 1 thing or 2 things.

That said, it's hard to tell IF Belicheck could win under Mike Brown. They'd likely clash over control issues.

I said it a hundred times in the offseason. In order to have a good season this year we needed a couple upper tier FA's ! RT and Lber, RG and LBer ? whatever. And as usual MB sat on his hands and bargin shopped. 

Is that ever gonna change ? I highly doubt it
Reply/Quote
It is not just the coaching. But on that of in the management there.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 09:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm liking Zac Taylor. Sure, we're 0-4, but 2 of those were very close games. And I'm seeing a fire from Taylor on the sidelines, getting in the ref's ear, that I've wished for from Marvin for the last 16 years. It's laughable people are ready to jump ship on him already. He lost 4 of his offensive line "starters" prior to the season even starting. He lost his #1 receiver prior to the season even starting. He's missing a starting cornerback, prior to the season starting. Did anyone really expect him to come out winning immediately?

Once again we as bengals fan turn a loss into hope. Do the patriot or Steelers fans look at a loss and say we have hope. No. We are so conditioned by The bengals we have to turn a loss into hope. That’s all we have. New Dey Kick me in the ? again please Mr. Brown.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 09:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say that's all accurate. There are MANY problems here. It's not as simple as just 1 thing or 2 things.

Belichick would choke Mike Brown with a piano string... The mumble "We're on to Arizona..." as he walks away to discard the murder weapon by the banks of the Ohio.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 09:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say that's all accurate. There are MANY problems here. It's not as simple as just 1 thing or 2 things.

I don't think there's any doubt they would clash. It's no coincidence that the Bengals haven't tried to fix problem areas through free agency with 2 different coaches now (fix it by signing top guys, in their prime, without an injury history--and no, leading the NFL in tackles one year isn't being a "top guy"). We've all seen and heard the interviews about Brown's thoughts on the matter. Then there was all the smoke Marv blew up everyone's ass when he said they were going to be more aggressive in FA. 

Did they get more aggressive? Well, the stepped up a bit from what they normally did, but i wouldn't exactly call it "aggressive". Preston Brown has a good number of tackles but he wasn't considered a top FA linebacker when he signed. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Going from having the arguably most talented team at least on the offensive side in 2015 to now is a direct reflection of management. But we can’t sit here and say it’s all on management and not the coach after placing years of the blame on Marvin. Of course coaching has its fair share of blame its largely management and the overall philosophy. In 2015 the players that made this offense solid like Green, Eifert, Sanu, Marvin Jones, Gio, Whitworth, Zeitler etc. were all drafted. None of the players were brought in FA or via trade. We just got extremely lucky with the “Philosophy” of building through the draft. Well we haven’t drafted a single pro bowl player in what 6 years. Our drafts have been brutal and Zac is left with this mess. Unless this team changes their approach by being more active in FA, keeping guys that deserve to be here rather than being cheap letting guys walk replacing them with below average players like Hart and showing Tobin the door after the awful drafts recently we will be the laughing stock of the league.

The only other thing that would help is Mike Brown selling the team to a competent owner who wants to win at any cost. But we all know that will never happen. This team needs to change the way they do things in a drastic way. Otherwise it’s just going to be the same as it’s always been.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 10:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I said it a hundred times in the offseason. In order to have a good season this year we needed a couple upper tier FA's ! RT and Lber, RG and LBer ? whatever. And as usual MB sat on his hands and bargin shopped. 

Is that ever gonna change ? I highly doubt it

Jack Conklin is a guy they need to take a serious look at next year. He's gonna cost a buck but he is a major upgrade at RT and with Jonah coming back...the bookends "could" be set. If Hopkins can maintain, then they have a lot of guys to try out at OG and if there's someone there in the draft...add them too. 

If they could cut some fat and throw money at Conklin and Corey Littleton, JUST THOSE TWO, NO ONE ELSE...let's be honest--i'd probably shit my pants and die. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 03:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's a reasonable notion, but the issue I have is that we have spent the past 3 and going on 4 losing seasons hearing how we can't judge this and can't judge that.

Can't judge Ross, he's playing for bad coaches
Can't judge Dalton, he's got a terrible o line
Can't judge 2018, too many injures
Can't judge 2019, too many injuries

I guess we're just supposed to sit here for years at time and just shrug and say "With all the crap that's gone on for the past 4 years, we can't even attempt to fathom what is going on."  Meanwhile real NFL games are happening and other teams are having winning seasons and winning playoff games and championships.

I get it, the excuses are real and it sucks but this turning into the 2nd year in a row where all we can do is just roll into the the next year and hope nothing goes wrong so we can finally start to judge this and that.  Though I've noticed we are selective in who we are allowed to judge and who we aren't.  You didn't hear many people say we couldn't judge Driskel in 2018 because Marvin/injuries/o-line/Lazor etc.

Excuses, it's all it is, excuses. You either win or  lose.  We've done nothing but lose lately.
Reply/Quote