Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Plan with the leftover money should be cut FA's or Burkhead
Rather than wail and moan about the offseason or comp pick strategy, what cut FA's are still out there that the team would spend this 2-3million on and still secure these picks they plan for?

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 07:04 PM)phil413 Wrote: Rather than wail and moan about the offseason or comp pick strategy, what cut FA's are still out there that the team would spend this 2-3million on and still secure these picks they plan for?

Cut Pacman Jones. Sign former Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons, former Seahawks/Jets offensive tackle Breno Giacomini, or former Lion/Colt tackle Gosder Cherilus.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 07:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cut Pacman Jones.  Sign former Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons, former Seahawks/Jets offensive tackle Breno Giacomini, or former Lion/Colt tackle Gosder Cherilus.

Timmons signed with Miami yesterday.
Reply/Quote
I'll add that I'd really like to see someone post a list of cut fa players and apologize for being too lazy I just can't find an easy list. Just seems that would be a good resource given their situation. We know Mangold makes some sense but who else?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 07:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cut Pacman Jones.  Sign former Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons, former Seahawks/Jets offensive tackle Breno Giacomini, or former Lion/Colt tackle Gosder Cherilus.

I like Giaomini as a tackle option, played for Louisville too. Is Cherilus a cut player?
Reply/Quote
Burkhead met with Atlanta today. Sure we're gonna lose him as well.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
On the O-line, Mangold, Fluker, Vollmer (not sure about his health) and Giacomini could be options from released players, that should all be affordable.

On defense, maybe Dumervil as a pass rusher or Paul Soliai as a cheap vet backup to Billings.

Some other released players of note that are still out there: RB's Peterson and Charles, CB/S's Revis and Webb, and DL Odrick. Looks like the slot corner Roby-Coleman is still available as well. He's still young at 25, and has played pretty well at times but is very small guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 07:12 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Timmons signed with Miami yesterday.

Thank you. Could the Bengals get a good year from DeMarcus Ware?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 07:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: On the O-line, Mangold, Vollmer (not sure about his health) and Giacomini could be options from released players.

On defense, maybe Dumervil as a pass rusher or Paul Soliai (as a cheap vet backup to Billings).

Sebastian Vollmer could play a couple seasons then become the offensive line coach.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 07:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Thank you. Could the Bengals get a good year from DeMarcus Ware?

Possibly, but Ware is a prototype 34 OLB (HIGHLY doubt he would even be up for switching schemes anyway) and he's old.  I'd much prefer Cincy to get younger talent that fits well in our system.
Reply/Quote
Byron Bell is still out there as a somewhat younger veteran, versatile OL. He can play every OL spot besides C. Could be a valuable cheap piece to try and salvage this likely sieve of an OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 08:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Byron Bell is still out there as a somewhat younger veteran, versatile OL. He can play every OL spot besides C. Could be a valuable cheap piece to try and salvage this likely sieve of an OL.

I could get on board with signing Byron Bell.  According to the coaches of the Titans, he made a smooth transition from Tackle to Guard.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2015/08/19/titans-byron-bell-tolling-new-position/31992005/

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I want Mangold... Seriously, why are they not beating down his door?
Reply/Quote
I'd love to cut Jones and mauluga for Bennie Logan.

Other guys I would look at would be Devin Taylor and maybe Clady.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:11 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: I want Mangold...  Seriously, why are they not beating down his door?

Here's the thing, I would have loved to have acquired Mangold, had either Zeitler or Whitworth been able to have been retained.  As it stands now, the C and LG positions are the only ones to have any consistency coming back this season.  RT has been a revolving door for a year already, now we have two more positions to re-assign, that makes 60% of the OL in an unsettled state.  Were you really wanting to go for 80%?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bell has the talent as does Clady if he's healthy. Thing is tho Bell was a UFA so it would have to be a cheap deal. Clady I believe since his option was declined would also count into comp picks because he's considered a UFA as well I believe, could be wrong.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the thing, I would have loved to have acquired Mangold, had either Zeitler or Whitworth been able to have been retained.  As it stands now, the C and LG positions are the only ones to have any consistency coming back this season.  RT has been a revolving door for a year already, now we have two more positions to re-assign, that makes 60% of the OL in an unsettled state.  Were you really wanting to go for 80%?

I think you're forgetting who our center is at the moment.  33 year old, All-Pro > Bodine (at any age).  

Do you really believe that the addition of Mangold would not be an upgrade to our O-line?

With the departures of Whitworth and Zeitler, I think we need an established veteran now more than ever.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2017, 11:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here's the thing, I would have loved to have acquired Mangold, had either Zeitler or Whitworth been able to have been retained.  As it stands now, the C and LG positions are the only ones to have any consistency coming back this season.  RT has been a revolving door for a year already, now we have two more positions to re-assign, that makes 60% of the OL in an unsettled state.  Were you really wanting to go for 80%?

You're right that C had consistency in that Bodine was consistently horrible.  If you want contunuity though it really does matter as we thought 80 percent would work by playing a rookie at RT last year. If you can fix something you fix it, you consider chemistry but not if the player isn't working.  Id rather have a good young interior OL but Mangold could help groom an Elflien or Westerman, draft a guard like Feeney and say goodbye to Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:00 AM)JumboTron Wrote: I think you're forgetting who our center is at the moment.  33 year old, All-Pro > Bodine (at any age).  

Do you really believe that the addition of Mangold would not be an upgrade to our O-line?

With the departures of Whitworth and Zeitler, I think we need an established veteran now more than ever.

It's easy to say that Mangold would be an immediate upgrade, but he has never attended a Bengals practice.  OL is one unit where you most definitely want consistency, they need to work well as a unit.  The management of this team really did not look at the ramifications of losing both of the steadiest players on that line.  The team will suffer as a result.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2017, 12:03 AM)phil413 Wrote: You're right that C had consistency in that Bodine was consistently horrible.  If you want contunuity though it really does matter as we thought 80 percent would work by playing a rookie at RT last year. If you can fix something you fix it, you consider chemistry but not if the player isn't working.  Id rather have a good young interior OL but Mangold could help groom an Elflien or Westerman, draft a guard like Feeney and say goodbye to Bodine.

That is a good plan, but let's not forget who we are dealing with here.  The management almost never agrees with what us fans see as the obvious correct plan.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote