Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Planning Trip to Away Game and New Rule
So you could buy tickets for a Sunday away game and check out another city for the weekend. Plan the time off at work. Pay for hotel and travel. And they move it to Thursday... WTF

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-approves-thursday-night-football-flex-scheduling--but-only-for-a-specific-5-week-stretch-of-season-211454561.html

So I guess beware planning a trip to see a game in weeks 13-17 of the season.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 03:16 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: So you could buy tickets for a Sunday away game and check out another city for the weekend. Plan the time off at work. Pay for hotel and travel. And they move it to Thursday... WTF

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-approves-thursday-night-football-flex-scheduling--but-only-for-a-specific-5-week-stretch-of-season-211454561.html

So I guess beware planning a trip to see a game in weeks 13-17 of the season.

I saw a quote last week that was from someone who was in favor of this move....not sure if it was a league official or random talking head  It was something along the lines of "People are overestimating the impact of this change. Less than 1% of NFL fans actually attend games"

It's all in our heads  Ninja
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 04:03 PM)basballguy Wrote: I saw a quote last week that was from someone who was in favor of this move....not sure if it was a league official or random talking head  It was something along the lines of "People are overestimating the impact of this change. Less than 1% of NFL fans actually attend games"

The only time that a Thursday night game is favorable for the players, is when it happens coming off a bye.  Then they still get a full 10 days before playing again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It says only two games a year can be flexed. I'm guessing two total? And not two per team.

So it would be rare. But still. Knowing this greatly reduces the chances I would plan a weekend trip for a December away game.
Reply/Quote
If you want to be safe, you make it a four day weekend. Fly out early Thursday morning and arrive back Monday morning.

Not saying it's right, but the NFL isn't going to allow Amazon to continue getting stuck with cruddy games all season long. TV money drives league revenue.
Reply/Quote
In no way am I a fan of this rule, but at least they are mandating a minimum of 28 day notice. They should do the same any flex, Thursday, Sunday, even 1:00 to 4:00 changes.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2023, 04:03 PM)basballguy Wrote: I saw a quote last week that was from someone who was in favor of this move....not sure if it was a league official or random talking head  It was something along the lines of "People are overestimating the impact of this change. Less than 1% of NFL fans actually attend games"

Maybe the quote was from someone who sells travel insurance …
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2023, 02:01 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: It says only two games a year can be flexed. I'm guessing two total? And not two per team.

So it would be rare. But still. Knowing this greatly reduces the chances I would plan a weekend trip for a December away game.

it is two per team...  so the bengals can only be flexed to one thursday game since they are playing on a thursday already. They could flex all those weeks but i doubt all four would be that bad 4 weeks out that they flex it... funny some teams could go on a 4 game losing streak that got flexed into a thursday game and it might be a dud anyway.  I don;t like it for the players and especially away fans
Reply/Quote