Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play Ball
Looks like Manfred ordered a season starting in July and the players will likely approve it. 60 games in 65 days then playoffs. Well, at least we'll have something to watch. No fans in the stands.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Maybe they're starting to realize how close to total irrelevance baseball really is these days. No season at all this year and I'm not sure they could climb out of that hole. Interest has been waning and they're not pulling in the younger generations they need to keep the sport alive. This feels like a salvage attempt just to keep the league from falling off everyone's radar.

I was a bigger baseball fan than football fan growing up. Early to mid-90s, that was my game. It's sad to see how it's dropped off for so many over the years. I know I can't get my kids interested at all. And they're not even on phones/video games. It's just that there is so much in life to compete, and baseball is a long game played on a lot of hot days.

I'd love to see them find a way to bring it back in relevance and get the younger fans engaged!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2020, 06:27 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Maybe they're starting to realize how close to total irrelevance baseball really is these days.  No season at all this year and I'm not sure they could climb out of that hole.  Interest has been waning and they're not pulling in the younger generations they need to keep the sport alive.  This feels like a salvage attempt just to keep the league from falling off everyone's radar.  

I was a bigger baseball fan than football fan growing up.  Early to mid-90s, that was my game.  It's sad to see how it's dropped off for so many over the years.  I know I can't get my kids interested at all.  And they're not even on phones/video games.  It's just that there is so much in life to compete, and baseball is a long game played on a lot of hot days.  

I'd love to see them find a way to bring it back in relevance and get the younger fans engaged!

Yep

I grew up in the 70's, Big Red Machine days. Any given summer day you could drive around town and see a half dozen sand lot/back yard games going on. And another half dozen whiffleball  games going as well. I couldn't even tell you when the last time I saw a dozen boys playing an unorganized game of baseball in a field ? Like you say probably early 90's. Sine then it's slowly but surely fell off the kids radar and once they're all gone baseball is gone.

I wonder where we'd be right now if not for all the international players ?

But anyways glad to hear they're trying to keep it alive, I guess ?
Reply/Quote
Baseball is back!

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reports-major-league-baseball-season-will-start-july/751Sg4SVlkIaJTG6N0TxvL/?fbclid=IwAR3IXdtzXC4xCf9z46EAXgENFE94OfsH3OL8ED55EleCo3TLJ0NU5zj5-V8
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I played baseball as a kid and the park had at least 8 baseball diamonds. Today, the park has 1 baseball diamond and all soccer fields. This is a sign of the times. Baseball is being replaced by soccer. However, football is my opinion of America's game anyway.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Full time DH in National league for this season. Who ya got for the Reds? My money is on Castellanos getting the most time. The worst defender in a crowded outfield.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2020, 03:00 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Full time DH in National league for this season. Who ya got for the Reds? My money is on Castellanos getting the most time. The worst defender in a crowded outfield.

If you thought the Pirates pitchers were throwing at batters a lot before... Look out now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2020, 06:27 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Maybe they're starting to realize how close to total irrelevance baseball really is these days. No season at all this year and I'm not sure they could climb out of that hole. Interest has been waning and they're not pulling in the younger generations they need to keep the sport alive. This feels like a salvage attempt just to keep the league from falling off everyone's radar.

I was a bigger baseball fan than football fan growing up. Early to mid-90s, that was my game. It's sad to see how it's dropped off for so many over the years. I know I can't get my kids interested at all. And they're not even on phones/video games. It's just that there is so much in life to compete, and baseball is a long game played on a lot of hot days.

TF you talking about?

Waning interest doesn't mean no interest; Baseball will continue to be a top 3 team sport in NA (I believe it is #2), forever.

I'm in Toronto and even with the Championship last year, fans of the Jays are still ALMOST at the level of the Raptors.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 03:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: TF you talking about?

Waning interest doesn't mean no interest; Baseball will continue to be a top 3 team sport in NA (I believe it is #2), forever.

I'm in Toronto and even with the Championship last year, fans of the Jays are still ALMOST at the level of the Raptors.

There is interest, of course.  People still show up at stadiums, but numbers have been decreasing. They still watch games on TV.  But really and truly, what are the ratings these days and the trends in recent years?  What's the demographic that follows baseball?  It's people over 50.  That's not a trend that's good for the sport if they're trying to remain viable.  Not to mention that with COVID, the same demographic that's most at-risk and least likely to go to games and probably more likely to shift their focus to other areas of life is the same demo that's following MLB.      

I maintain that I think it's really sad that "America's Sport" is being dismissed by more and more Americans.  It was my childhood, it's what I dreamed of all summer long every year playing with my friends daily.  It was the magic of going to a night game.  It was talking with my buddies about players and stats.  I don't want to see baseball go away or become the past time of "old guys" but the reality is that's exactly what it's become.  And if it stays with that demo, it simply can't last.  
Reply/Quote
Good article on reds.com on roster and who is where:

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-player-pool-for-2020
Reply/Quote
Good ol Mike Leake had opted out of playing this season.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote