Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Play Calling Linked to Burrow's Sacks...
I have supported Taylor since the hire but now I may have to back off some if he is getting Burrow killed. Here is an interesting read...

[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Let me put it this way. I don't have a lot of faith ZT is gonna ever be able to take this team where it could go with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Here’s the next tweet:

“Sack rate in empty on 3rd-and-long: 23%
Sack rate on boot action: 30%
Sack rate on all other plays: 7%
someone who is good at offense please help me budget this. my rookie QB is dying”

Great info in there for those that don’t want to read the whole thing:

-The weak links aren’t hard to find on tape. Right tackle Bobby Hart is clearly the biggest one. PFF has him responsible for three sacks, but in my own charting of the 22 sacks the Bengals have surrendered this season, I have him playing a role in five of them.

-The success rate on third-and-long (7+ yards to go) is 38.7% across the NFL, according to Sports Info Solutions. That number drops to 33.5% when any team passes out of an Empty formation. When the Bengals do it? It plummets to 15.7% and the team’s sack rate jumps to 23.1%.

-Taylor is from the Sean McVay coaching tree so, of course, he loves him some play-action from under center. There’s just one problem: The Bengals haven’t been very good when running those plays, losing -2.2 Expected Points on the season. More importantly, Burrow is getting wrecked when Taylor calls them. Play-action generally drives down sack rates, but the Bengals are allowing a sack on 21.4% of those dropbacks.
Reply/Quote
Everybody keeps wanting to scream about play calling, but the simple fact is that with this offensive line, the only play Taylor can call that won't result in a probably hit or sac is to hand it off to Mixon. Anything else, and the defense is in Burrow's lap before the play even develops
Reply/Quote
The sacks in the boot action are happening because the run blocking is so bad the backside end isn't collapsing to help. If the backside end doesn't collapse you are going to get hit on those plays. This is a direct result of the O line and their poor run blocking, and in turn non threatening running attack. Sure we can kill those, but standard PA isn't working much better as the ends are rushing straight up field on those and not respecting the run either.

I actually agree to an extent on the empty stuff, but not his final conclusion you shouldn't be there butmore so what he mentions earlier. To me, Burrow has to be willing to put the ball up in one on one situations out of empty. We are in empty so he can more easily identify these match ups, but he needs to understand in the NFL guys aren't going to run free you have to put the ball out there and let them make a play. You have to expect your guy to win those match ups and take your shots. If we aren't goint to take those shots then we don't really have a reason to be in empty, that is on Burrow and something he needs to improve on.

I think it's always easy to go after coaching, and there are things to be mad about sure, but I think we are always too quick to give passes to players. Players need to perform at some point or you aren't going to win anything of importance.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 08:48 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Here’s the next tweet:

“Sack rate in empty on 3rd-and-long: 23%
Sack rate on boot action: 30%
Sack rate on all other plays: 7%
someone who is good at offense please help me budget this. my rookie QB is dying”

Great info in there for those that don’t want to read the whole thing:

-The weak links aren’t hard to find on tape. Right tackle Bobby Hart is clearly the biggest one. PFF has him responsible for three sacks, but in my own charting of the 22 sacks the Bengals have surrendered this season, I have him playing a role in five of them.

-The success rate on third-and-long (7+ yards to go) is 38.7% across the NFL, according to Sports Info Solutions. That number drops to 33.5% when any team passes out of an Empty formation. When the Bengals do it? It plummets to 15.7% and the team’s sack rate jumps to 23.1%.

-Taylor is from the Sean McVay coaching tree so, of course, he loves him some play-action from under center. There’s just one problem: The Bengals haven’t been very good when running those plays, losing -2.2 Expected Points on the season. More importantly, Burrow is getting wrecked when Taylor calls them. Play-action generally drives down sack rates, but the Bengals are allowing a sack on 21.4% of those dropbacks.

Those plays work, if you run a significant portion of your offense from QB under Center.  If every time your QB get's under Center, the play is a PA Pass, then it's pretty much a dead giveaway to the defense as to what is coming.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 08:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody keeps wanting to scream about play calling, but the simple fact is that with this offensive line, the only play Taylor can call that won't result in a probably hit or sac is to hand it off to Mixon. Anything else, and the defense is in Burrow's lap before the play even develops

The Bolts have an equally as bad o-line as us and they seem to be be able to make things happen. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 08:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let me put it this way. I don't have a lot of faith ZT is gonna ever be able to take this team where it could go with Burrow.

Yeah, there is definitely a "Jeff Fisher and Jared Goff" sort of feeling going on here.  We will see how the rest of 2020 plays out, but my breath isn't being held.
Reply/Quote
Who is Steven Ruiz?
Reply/Quote
You have to burn people when they blitz. All we do is keep Gio in to block and there is no outlet valve.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:04 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The Bolts have an equally as bad o-line as us and they seem to be be able to make things happen. 

Oh yeah that 1-4 record is super impressive. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:38 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Oh yeah that 1-4 record is super impressive. 

Did I mention their record? Their offensive DVOA is 0.1%. The bengals is -24.2%. Their offense is better than ours with an equally bad of o-line. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:49 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Did I mention their record? Their offensive DVOA is 0.1%. The bengals is -24.2%. Their offense is better than ours with an equally bad of o-line. 

Do you have data to back up their line being as bad as ours? 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:23 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Who is Steven Ruiz?

https://www.google.com
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 12:05 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Do you have data to back up their line being as bad as ours? 

Herbert has 51 pressures (20.5%) to Joe’s 59 (25.5%) and slightly less time in a clean pocket (1.9 for Herbert to 1.8 seconds for JB). The biggest difference is the sacks "make it home" more vs JB than Herbert. JB has been sacked 22 times for an average of 4.4 times a game vs Herberts 9 for an average of 2.2 per game.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:04 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The Bolts have an equally as bad o-line as us and they seem to be be able to make things happen. 

They have Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Ekeler, and Hunter Henry.  Plus, they are only averaging 1.6 ppg more than us.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 12:34 PM)Whatever Wrote: They have Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Ekeler, and Hunter Henry.  Plus, they are only averaging 1.6 ppg more than us.

I mean, I'd rather have our WR corp (with a healthy & hungry AJ) than there's. Yea, their scoring isn't a better but they are more efficient than we are. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 12:32 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Herbert has 51 pressures (20.5%) to Joe’s 59 (25.5%) and slightly less time in a clean pocket (1.9 for Herbert to 1.8 seconds for JB). The biggest difference is the sacks "make it home" more vs JB than Herbert. JB has been sacked 22 times for an average of 4.4 times a game vs Herberts 9 for an average of 2.2 per game.

Herbert’s WR’s actually get open though...

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 11:38 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Oh yeah that 1-4 record is super impressive. 

Who did they beat to get a 1 n the win column???  Here's the rub, we're lucky that we face Tyrod at QB. If it had been the kid they would have burnt us deep on play action all day long. We would have lost by two scores.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2020, 12:47 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I mean, I'd rather have our WR corp (with a healthy & hungry AJ) than there's. Yea, their scoring isn't a better but they are more efficient than we are. 

Allen is better than any of our receivers. Williams is better than any except Boyd. Henry is better Tight end, and Ekeler is a much better receiver than any of our RBs. So tell me again how how you'd rather have ours??? Thats just some homerism if I ever saw one. 
Reply/Quote