Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player Accountability w/ New Coaches
(02-07-2019, 08:00 PM)NKURyan Wrote: There's been so much concern around here about all of the youth on the Bengals' staff. People are worried about Taylor's lack of experience, they're worried about Callahan's lack of experience, and we're starting to see the same concern crop up on the defensive side of the ball as well as the DC candidates seem to be skewing younger. And to some extent, I get it - if someone has won the big ones and has been there before, they bring in a certain air of experience that helps to inspire others to follow them. But that said...

Let's hold the players accountable as well. They're professionals. Until the coaching staff starts building an actual resume of failure, these players should be buying in 100% to whatever these coaches are selling, age be damned. Show up, do your job ™, and give the guy a shot. And while others seem like they're trending towards holding these young coaches responsible if there's no buy-in from the players... I'm not of that mindset. If the players aren't going to buy in from the get go, that's on them as much as anybody.

Am I crazy for thinking this? Because I read some of these concerns people have about him taking charge of the locker room and I start to wonder...

The fans pretty much demanded Marvin's head after 3 losing seasons preceded by the meltdown at home against Pittsburgh in the Bengals last playoff appearance.

Mike Brown answered by stepping out of the way and let Katie and friends select the coach they are going to begin their era with.

We asked for Marvin gone and we got it. We now get the decisions of the younger Brown generation as our reward and we'll live with it regardless of the outcome. Hopefully it will be good.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Stop acting like the players are on your side.  Some may be but some clearly supported Marvin.

And you could not tell ANYTHING by the looks on their faces during games.  You are just making that up.

I guess Dave Lapham, an NFL vet that knows the pulse of the team very well is just making it up, too...because he said that before I did.  
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 09:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Taylor needs to come in day 1 and pull a Greg Kinnear and tell them no one's job is safe....

I almost forgot he was coach of the Eagles before he went in to acting... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 09:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I almost forgot he was coach of the Eagles before he went in to acting... Hilarious

Yeah, it was right after he got out of helicopter school.....
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 08:00 PM)NKURyan Wrote: There's been so much concern around here about all of the youth on the Bengals' staff. People are worried about Taylor's lack of experience, they're worried about Callahan's lack of experience, and we're starting to see the same concern crop up on the defensive side of the ball as well as the DC candidates seem to be skewing younger. And to some extent, I get it - if someone has won the big ones and has been there before, they bring in a certain air of experience that helps to inspire others to follow them. But that said...

Let's hold the players accountable as well. They're professionals. Until the coaching staff starts building an actual resume of failure, these players should be buying in 100% to whatever these coaches are selling, age be damned. Show up, do your job ™, and give the guy a shot. And while others seem like they're trending towards holding these young coaches responsible if there's no buy-in from the players... I'm not of that mindset. If the players aren't going to buy in from the get go, that's on them as much as anybody.

Am I crazy for thinking this? Because I read some of these concerns people have about him taking charge of the locker room and I start to wonder...

Age has nothing to do with the ability to hold others accountable to a high standard, either a coach has it or they don't. I hope he has it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I guess Dave Lapham, an NFL vet that knows the pulse of the team very well is just making it up, too...because he said that before I did.  

Marvin Lewis said it himself when Austin was fired...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2019, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I guess Dave Lapham, an NFL vet that knows the pulse of the team very well is just making it up, too...because he said that before I did.  

If Lapham said anything about the looks on the players faces from the field then he was just making that up.  I have heard fans use the old "you can tell by the looks on their faces" argument to support all types of BS arguments.

And the fact is players have gone on record saying they wanted Marvin back.  You got any quotes from bengal players saying they wanted him gone?

I am sure some players wanted Marvin gone, but fans can not support arguments basedon the "looks on faces".
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 11:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: If Lapham said anything about the looks on the players faces from the field then he was just making that up.  I have heard fans use the old "you can tell by the looks on their faces" argument to support all types of BS arguments.

And the fact is players have gone on record saying they wanted Marvin back.  You got any quotes from bengal players saying they wanted him gone?

I am sure some players wanted Marvin gone, but fans can not support arguments basedon the "looks on faces".

You do realize that players stand or sit on the sidelines without helmets on and the looks on their faces are clearly visible, right?

WOO HOO!  NO MORE MARVIN!
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 11:57 AM)McC Wrote: You do realize that players stand or sit on the sidelines without helmets on and the looks on their faces are clearly visible, right?

WOO HOO!  NO MORE MARVIN!

Yes,  And I know you can not tell their opinion of Marvin based on the looks on their faces.

I have seen fans do thisd all the time.  There was a thread about how we could tell by the look on Greens face that he wanted out of Cincinnati.  It is silly.  People just project their beliefs on the players.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes,  And I know you can not tell their opinion of Marvin based on the looks on their faces.

I have seen fans do thisd all the time.  There was a thread about how we could tell by the look on Greens face that he wanted out of Cincinnati.  It is silly.  People just project their beliefs on the players.

Of course they do.  And I'm sure that includes you.  Seems like a mole hill you are turning into a mountain.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 12:06 PM)McC Wrote: Of course they do.  And I'm sure that includes you.  Seems like a mole hill you are turning into a mountain.

Actually the one extrapolating hatred for Marvin from disappointment over losing are the ones creating a mountain from a molehill.

I never claim to be able to read players minds in order to back up any of my arguments.  Instead I rely on facts.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually the one extrapolating hatred for Marvin from disappointment over losing are the ones creating a mountain from a molehill.

I never claim to be able to read players minds in order to back up any of my arguments.  Instead I rely on facts.

Reading expressions and reading minds are two very different things.

Reply/Quote
I see fans say they are excited team moved on from ML, yet those same fans continue to bash him. I understand why those who liked ML have not moved on, they need time. But those excited ML was fired really need to prove they have moved on from ML and not just lip service.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Did the players dislike ML? Possible but unlikely. Was ML setting the wrong tone for the team and as such they needed to move on from him? Much more likely. The whole team needs a major injection of energy, proactiveness and aggressiveness - which hopefully Taylor provides.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 01:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: Did the players dislike ML? Possible but unlikely. Was ML setting the wrong tone for the team and as such they needed to move on from him? Much more likely. The whole team needs a major injection of energy, proactiveness and aggressiveness - which hopefully Taylor provides.

I hope you are correct. If you are we should see great things in 2019 including playoff run.

Reply/Quote