Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player gets booed for upholding personal convictions
(06-05-2018, 04:45 PM)Dill Wrote: New thread title then?

That's my thought. I mean, otherwise we could be discussing the players that were booed for kneeling during the anthem.

In all honesty, I don't about any of their opinions. The opinions of the players, or the fans booing them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-04-2018, 08:02 PM)Beaker Wrote: I would venture to guess she could care less about anti-discrimination laws. If she is citing her religion, she is more likely against the "sin" of homosexuality. She doesn't want them to be gay in the first place.

No.  She specifically objected to the ruling that allowed same sex marriage.
(06-04-2018, 06:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why is the US National Team paying tribute to any particular minority group, in the first place?  If they're the US National Team, they should be representative of the American Nation, rather than any particular segment of the population.

The entire nation is supposed to be against discrimination.  Equality is a basic principle of our democracy. 

You are free to believe whatever you want, but you are not allowed to discriminate against people based on your beliefs.
(06-04-2018, 08:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My take is simple. I wouldn’t wear it, why does she have to? No different then telling her she has to shave her head to support breast cancer in a cancer awareness event.

It is nothing like shaving her head.

And if she refused to wear a jersey supporting cancer awareness she would probably get booed for that also.
(06-05-2018, 04:59 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: 1. That's my thought. I mean, otherwise we could be discussing the players that were booed for kneeling during the anthem.

2. In all honesty, I don't about any of their opinions. The opinions of the players, or the fans booing them.

1. As was my intention, just wanted to see how some folks change their POV

2. I care about folks opinions, but more so for their actions. Such as booing or kneeling. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-05-2018, 05:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1. As was my intention, just wanted to see how some folks change their POV

2. I care about folks opinions, but more so for their actions. Such as booing or kneeling. 

1. I figured.

2. I guess I shouldn't say I don't care. A more accurate description would be that I think to myself "way to be a dick" or "good on you" depending on what's going on, and then I move on with life. That's true for opinions and actions of most people that don't really impact others in a major way.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-05-2018, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The entire nation is supposed to be against discrimination.  Equality is a basic principle of our democracy. 

You are free to believe whatever you want, but you are not allowed to discriminate against people based on your beliefs.

No one is saying that gay people shouldn't be allowed to play on the National team, because disallowing them would be discrimination.  Correct?

Having the National team pay tribute to a very small sector of society, by wearing jerseys in honor of gay pride, is giving special privilege to that minority group.  Majority of Americans aren't gay.  The team should be about representing the Nation in the sport of soccer, not drawing special attention to secular groups. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-05-2018, 05:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No one is saying that gay people shouldn't be allowed to play on the National team, because disallowing them would be discrimination.  Correct?

No, but she is saying that they should not be allowed to get married and have the legal standing of other couples.  That is discriminating against them.

(06-05-2018, 05:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Having the National team pay tribute to a very small sector of society, by wearing jerseys in honor of gay pride, is giving special privilege to that minority group.  Majority of Americans aren't gay.  The team should be about representing the Nation in the sport of soccer, not drawing special attention to secular groups. 

It is not promoting a minority.  It is promoting equality.  Blacks are a small percentage of the population but we still celebrate Martin Luther King Day.  And MLB has a day when all players wear #42 to honor Jackie Robinson.

What if an MLB player said he was not going to honor Jackie Robinson because his "personal beliefs" were against blacks having equal rights?  You think he might get booed?
(06-05-2018, 05:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1. No, but she is saying that they should not be allowed to get married and have the legal standing of other couples.  That is discriminating against them.

2. It is not promoting a minority.  It is promoting equality.  Blacks are a small percentage of the population but we still celebrate Martin Luther King Day.  And MLB has a day when all players wear #42 to honor Jackie Robinson.

What if an MLB player said he was not going to honor Jackie Robinson because his "personal beliefs" were against blacks having equal rights?  You think he might get booed?

1. This is the second time you've said this and the second time I've asked: Do you have a link where she has stated gays should not be allowed to marry or is this just something else you've made up. Not saying their is not a link, just I haven't found one, but social media is quite vast.

2.Of course it's promoting a minority. WTS: Earlier you compared being gay to having cancer, now you are comparing it to being black.  

(06-05-2018, 05:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No, but she is saying that they should not be allowed to get married and have the legal standing of other couples.  That is discriminating against them.

It is not promoting a minority.  It is promoting equality.  Blacks are a small percentage of the population but we still celebrate Martin Luther King Day.  And MLB has a day when all players wear #42 to honor Jackie Robinson.

I haven't read or heard her saying any of that.  All I see is her opting to not participate in a celebration of gay pride.

I have a couple friends that are Eagles fans.  I texted one of them to congratulate when they won the SB.  Now, because I didn't put on an Eagles jersey and go join their party, does that make me discriminatory?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-05-2018, 05:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1. No, but she is saying that they should not be allowed to get married and have the legal standing of other couples.  That is discriminating against them.

2. It is not promoting a minority.  It is promoting equality.  Blacks are a small percentage of the population but we still celebrate Martin Luther King Day.  And MLB has a day when all players wear #42 to honor Jackie Robinson.

1. This is the second time you've said this and the second time I've asked: Do you have a link where she has stated gays should not be allowed to marry or is this just something else you've made up. Not saying their is not a link, just I haven't found one, but social media is quite vast.

2. Earlier you compared being gay to having cancer, now you are comparing it to being black.  

(06-05-2018, 05:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I haven't read or heard her saying any of that.  All I see is her opting to not participate in a celebration of gay pride.

(06-05-2018, 05:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1. This is the second time you've said this and the second time I've asked: Do you have a link where she has stated gays should not be allowed to marry or is this just something else you've made up. Not saying their is not a link, just I haven't found one, but social media is quite vast.

(06-04-2018, 08:38 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote:

the day of the gay marriage ruling

On June 26, 2015, the day the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage, Hinkle on Instagram reworked a symbol of marriage equality into a Christian cross, writing:

Quote:I believe with every fiber in my body that what was written 2,000 years ago in the Bible is undoubtedly true. It's not a fictional book. It's not a pick and choose what you want to believe. You either believe it, or you don't. This world may change, but Christ and His Word NEVER will.
My heart is that as Christians we don't begin to throw a tantrum over what has been brought into law today, but we become that much more loving. That through our love, the lost, rejected, and abandoned find Christ.
The rainbow was a convent made between God and all his creation that never again would the world be flooded as it was when He destroyed the world during Noah's time. It's a constant reminder that no matter how corrupt this world becomes, He will never leave us or forsake us. Thank you Lord for your amazing grace, even during times of trial and confusion.
Love won over 2,000 years ago when the greatest sacrifice of all time was made for ALL mankind.
(06-05-2018, 05:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 2. Earlier you compared being gay to having cancer, now you are comparing it to being black.  

So what is your point?

Do you disagree with my assertion that both blacks and gays are minorities?

Do you disagree with my assertion that both "pro-equality" and "anti-cancer" are popular positions?

Which one of those is incorrect?
(06-05-2018, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: On June 26, 2015, the day the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage, Hinkle on Instagram reworked a symbol of marriage equality into a Christian cross, writing:

Yeah, I've read both of those a few times and nowhere in either does it mention she is against equal protection under the law. Must have been that line were she said as a Christian we shouldn't throw a tantrum over today's ruling.

In case anyone hasn't seen the interview, The below link includes the video for which many (including a few in this forum)are vilifying the young girl and in cases of the person I just quoted; simply making things up about her:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5789881/Hinkle-says-decided-against-US-team-Pride-Month-call-up.html

(06-05-2018, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: On June 26, 2015, the day the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage, Hinkle on Instagram reworked a symbol of marriage equality into a Christian cross, writing:

Odd, all I saw was her writings reflecting her faith.  At no point did I see anything written that could even remotely be construed as "they shouldn't be allowed to marry", or any denial of equality.

For a guy that deals so much with cold hard facts, you sure can paint a pretty picture with colors that aren't there..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-05-2018, 05:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  She specifically objected to the ruling that allowed same sex marriage.

Because her faith believes homosexuality to be a sin.
(06-05-2018, 06:27 PM)Beaker Wrote: Because her faith believes homosexuality to be a sin.

I know we disagree on many subjects here, but on this we agree (I think). She actually called for folks to NOT protest the SCOTUS decision; instead turn to their faith and show more love. Moreover when she declined the invitation she simply stated personal reasons with no further explanation. A while later she explains how events in her life compelled her not to support wearing a piece of clothing that goes against her personal convictions. Some get wind of it and immediately scream BIGOT, HATER, DENIER OF EQUAL RIGHTS!!!

It just tells me those folks choose not to look at any believe rationally that goes against their own point of view. 

BTW, was there some sort of update on the board today? My CPU has been acting crazy on this site.

(06-05-2018, 05:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Having the National team pay tribute to a very small sector of society, by wearing jerseys in honor of gay pride, is giving special privilege to that minority group.  Majority of Americans aren't gay.  The team should be about representing the Nation in the sport of soccer, not drawing special attention to secular groups. 

It's a privilege to be treated the same as everyone else? 

The team has had numerous openly gay women on the team this year and in past years. Women's soccer in general has had numerous openly gay players and coaches. They're partnering with a campaign that is aimed at being inclusive to all of those who want to play a sport because many of them have faced that discrimination. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-05-2018, 07:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's a privilege to be treated the same as everyone else? 

Being treated like everyone else just means being able to go about your business, without any special attention or recognition being drawn to the fact that you're not like most everyone else.  

As long as we, as a society, continue to draw special attention to people that are different than the majority?  No one will ever truly be "equal".  It's almost like listing them as *equal.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23