Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player playing most critical role on the team.....
(10-29-2020, 12:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not arguing that he isn't valuable as a pass blocker or pass catcher. But he's not as good running the ball.

Neither of our RBs are running the ball well.  (3.6 YPC from a guy making top 10 RB money?)  They're both gifted athletes, I'm putting the blame on the lack of blocking.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Neither of our RBs are running the ball well.  (3.6 YPC from a guy making top 10 RB money?)  They're both gifted athletes, I'm putting the blame on the lack of blocking.

Mixon isn't living up to his contract either, and I am in the camp of don't pay RBs. He's still better running the ball though.

Yes, the bad run blocking is definitely a factor, but this offense is not a run-oriented offense. It's a pass-oriented one. They should have rolled with a cheap RB and invested that money into OL instead.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Pretty much every 3rd down play....

Plus a lot more.

He played almost half (42%) of the offensive snaps last year.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Mixon isn't living up to his contract either, and I am in the camp of don't pay RBs. He's still better running the ball though.

Yes, the bad run blocking is definitely a factor, but this offense is not a run-oriented offense. It's a pass-oriented one. They should have rolled with a cheap RB and invested that money into OL instead.

But it's based off play action if we believe what Taylor said when he was hired. Rams had Gurley and now a 1-2 punch of Cam Akers and Malcolm Brown. The Rams block better than we do by a mile. The money might've been a bit much, that I'll agree with, but if you're gonna threaten teams with play action, you better be able to run it. 

Of course, they're running a lot of empty sets now, so who knows. From reading, it seems the empty sets have helped Burrow with pre snap reads more as he settles in. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:10 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: This is why Mixon is not worth $12 million.

Good thing he is never getting paid $12 million a year.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good thing he is never getting paid $12 million a year.

The 4-year, $48 mill extension was spread across this year too, reducing the overall cap hit by year.

Mixon's cap hit by year is as follows:
2020 - $4.325 mill
2021 - $10.7 mill
2022 - $10.7 mill
2023 - $12.1 mill
2024 - $12.3 mill

The Bengals will have a potential out in 2022 where the dead cap is only $6 mill and goes down by $2 mill each year after that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 09:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: According to Burrow, is the guy everyone here says is overpaid and underused.... Gio.

https://www.bengals.com/video/joe-burrow-on-play-calling-his-development-and-the-process

8:14 into the interview.

Gio isn't overpaid if he is used more, just having 2 RB's being paid as much as they are is a lot. But Gio is an elite pass blocker
as Au165 said. Just wish Mixon would get better at pass blocking so we could use them in different downs instead of being so 
predictable and always bringing in Mixon on early downs and always Gio on passing downs.

I think Mixon can get a lot better in this area, was a strength of his in college according to a lot of people.

BTW, was also liking how Sample was chip blocking on Garrett against the Browns. I like Sample myself.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: But it's based off play action if we believe what Taylor said when he was hired. Rams had Gurley and now a 1-2 punch of Cam Akers and Malcolm Brown. The Rams block better than we do by a mile. The money might've been a bit much, that I'll agree with, but if you're gonna threaten teams with play action, you better be able to run it. 

Of course, they're running a lot of empty sets now, so who knows. From reading, it seems the empty sets have helped Burrow with pre snap reads more as he settles in. 

Plus it is a little late to cry over spilt milk unless we trade one of them....
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 06:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gio isn't overpaid if he is used more, just having 2 RB's being paid as much as they are is a lot. But Gio is an elite pass blocker
as Au165 said. Just wish Mixon would get better at pass blocking so we could use them in different downs instead of being so 
predictable and always bringing in Mixon on early downs and always Gio on passing downs.

I think Mixon can get a lot better in this area, was a strength of his in college according to a lot of people.

BTW, was also liking how Sample was chip blocking on Garrett against the Browns. I like Sample myself.

I do too. People wrote him off due to him not setting the league on fire as a rookie and because of his draft position. That said, I think he will become, or basically already is, a solid TE for us. He blocks well and has good hands. He could use a little more speed, but what are you going to do....
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 08:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I do too. People wrote him off due to him not setting the league on fire as a rookie and because of his draft position. That said, I think he will become, or basically already is, a solid TE for us. He blocks well and has good hands. He could use a little more speed, but what are you going to do....

Get a better TE...

Look, Sample is fine. He’s not a bad player by any means. But I would personally love to see them give Burrow an actual playmaker at TE. You can never have enough weapons. Just look at the last time the Bengals were actually good. Eifert was an integral part of our offense.

Sample might be able to put up similar yds (Eifert never really put up big yds), but he ain’t catching 13 TD’s in a season. I can only imagine how lethal Burrow could be in the red zone with a TE like that.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2020, 08:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Get a better TE...

Look, Sample is fine. He’s not a bad player by any means. But I would personally love to see them give Burrow an actual playmaker at TE. You can never have enough weapons. Just look at the last time the Bengals were actually good. Eifert was an integral part of our offense.

Sample might be able to put up similar yds (Eifert never really put up big yds), but he ain’t catching 13 TD’s in a season. I can only imagine how lethal Burrow could be in the red zone with a TE like that.

Yeah, we had one, everyone wanted to trade him because he was "made of glass", remember.  I didn't say we shouldn't get another tight end, I just said I like Sample and think he is a solid addition to this team.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 06:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gio isn't overpaid if he is used more, just having 2 RB's being paid as much as they are is a lot. But Gio is an elite pass blocker

especially if our game play leans toward 80% passing

But gio is pretty good with the blitz pickup
Reply/Quote