Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Player vs. Player (The New Millenium Bengals)
1.) Carson vs. Andy. Palmer
2.) Chad vs. AJ. Chad
3.) Housh vs. Boyd vs. Marvin Jones vs. Sanu (Pick 1) Housh
4.) Willie Anderson vs. Whitworth Whit
5.) Rudi Johnson vs. Joe Mixon Joe
6.) Steinbach vs. Zeitler Zeitler
7.) Takeo Spikes vs. Burfict Spikes
8.) Jerome Simpson vs. John Ross Simpson
9.) Leon Hall vs Jonathan Joseph Leon
10.) Chris Perry vs Jeremy Hill Perry
11.) Chris Henry vs Gio Bernard Gio
12.) Justin Smith vs. Michael Johnson Justin
13.) Kelly Washington vs. Auden Tate Tate
14.) Jordan Shipley vs Rex Burkhead Shipley
15.) Levi Jones vs Andre Smith Jones
16.) Peko vs Pacman Pacman

Bonus - Coaches

17.) Piano Man vs Jim Turner Piano man, in his day like a decade before he left
18.) Bob Bratowski vs Ken Zampese Brat
19.) Zimmers ire vs. Marvin's giggle Zim
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 06:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For those picking Turner over Alexander you know the latter was actually once of the best in the league during his “prime” right?

Indeed he was. His ego just got way to big and he got lazy and didn't want to change.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 06:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is it? I think people are being objective. Palmer was far mor talented if you’re picking  out of the two in their “primes.”

Stat wise and result wise, Andy's number don't support your claim. If I had to draw a NFL QB, it would look like Palmer, so I'm not trying to be bias here.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 04:21 PM)jason Wrote: Whatcha think about the "B" logo?

Compared with Blah it's a toss up.. the lah gives blah a slight edge..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 07:38 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Stat wise and result wise, Andy's number don't support your claim. If I had to draw a NFL QB, it would look like Palmer, so I'm not trying to be bias here.

This is a hypothetical thread about these players in their PRIMES. Not who put up better stats on one specific team.

No one in their right mind would take Andy Dalton over Carson Palmer in their primes. There’s a reason Palmer was a #1 pick.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 08:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is a hypothetical thread about these players in their PRIMES. Not who put up better stats on one specific team.

No one in their right mind would take Andy Dalton over Carson Palmer in their primes. There’s a reason Palmer was a #1 pick.

Sorry I read nowhere about players in their prime.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 08:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is a hypothetical thread about these players in their PRIMES. Not who put up better stats on one specific team.

That's why I started off with, "ability or results?"

Because ability-wise, Carsone was infinitely superior to Andy, in their prime.

Prime years, however (27-32, is what they give for baseball and year 32 is NOT included), their numbers are as follows (and if year 32 was included, Carsone's numbers are even worse):

Andy: 1451/2291, 63.3%, 108 TD, 55 INT, 693 Rushing Yards, 11 TD, 1 catch for 18 yards and 1 TD. Had 2 injury stints, missing 8 games.
Carsone: 1416/2276, 62.2%, 104 TD, 70 INT, 228 rushing yards, 3 TD. Had 1 injury stint, missing 12 games.

We know that a prime Carsone, uninjured, could sling it anywhere, but Andy has the better numbers by far.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
1.) Carson vs. Andy. Carson.
2.) Chad vs. AJ. Chad. This is so close it is incredibly hard to pick, but I am giving the edge to Chad.
3.) Housh vs. Boyd vs. Marvin Jones vs. Sanu (Pick 1) Housh.
4.) Willie Anderson vs. Whitworth Whitworth.
5.) Rudi Johnson vs. Joe Mixon Mixon.
6.) Steinbach vs. Zeitler Steinbach.
7.) Takeo Spikes vs. Burfict Spikes.
8.) Jerome Simpson vs. John Ross Simpson.
9.) Leon Hall vs Jonathan Joseph Leon Hall.
10.) Chris Perry vs Jeremy Hill Jeremy Hill, and this isn't close AT ALL. This might be the most lopsided selection here.
11.) Chris Henry vs Gio Bernard Chris Henry.
12.) Justin Smith vs. Michael Johnson Justin Smith.
13.) Kelly Washington vs. Auden Tate Tate.
14.) Jordan Shipley vs Rex Burkhead Jordan Shipley.
15.) Levi Jones vs Andre Smith Levi.
16.) Peko vs Pacman Adam Jones.

Bonus - Coaches

17.) Piano Man vs Jim Turner Piano Man.
18.) Bob Bratowski vs Ken Zampese Brat.
19.) Zimmers ire vs. Marvin's giggle Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
Other than Chad/AJ I think the toughest one for me was Rudi or Mixon. Went with my initial gut feeling of Rudi, but honestly I probably should have went Joe...

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 11:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Other than Chad/AJ I think the toughest one for me was Rudi or Mixon. Went with my initial gut feeling of Rudi, but honestly I probably should have went Joe...

It always amazed me the yards Rudi racked up. He wasn't a speed merchant and not really shifting, just a plodder. At the end of the game, he somehow had over 100 yds rushing. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 11:51 AM)sandwedge Wrote: It always amazed me the yards Rudi racked up. He wasn't a speed merchant and not really shifting, just a plodder. At the end of the game, he somehow had over 100 yds rushing. 

Scored a ton of TD’s, too. Had 12 three seasons in a row from 04-06.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 11:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Other than Chad/AJ I think the toughest one for me was Rudi or Mixon. Went with my initial gut feeling of Rudi, but honestly I probably should have went Joe...

Really tough one as well, I had to think on it. I chose Joe because he is a more dynamic player. His ability to be a receiver is dynamic and I think very underutilized in the passing game. They are both big, powerful runners but I think Joe has the ability to break off big runs at a higher clip. I feel like if Joe was behind the lines that Rudi ran behind, he would put up better numbers than Rudi. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 12:10 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Really tough one as well, I had to think on it. I chose Joe because he is a more dynamic player. His ability to be a receiver is dynamic and I think very underutilized in the passing game. They are both big, powerful runners but I think Joe has the ability to break off big runs at a higher clip. I feel like if Joe was behind the lines that Rudi ran behind, he would put up better numbers than Rudi. 

Yeah, on pure talent alone, Mixon probably wins.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 03:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Alright, thought this could be cool. I'm going to pit various Bengals from the last 20 years against one another. Consider all of these comparisons with each player being at their prime.

I will throw in a couple of choices that aren't the same position, but more of a who would you rather have on your roster.  

Here we go...

1.) Carson vs. Andy. Carson, although it's closer than many will admit
2.) Chad vs. AJ. Chad
3.) Housh vs. Boyd vs. Marvin Jones vs. Sanu (Pick 1) Who's Yo Mama, although Boyd has a shot
4.) Willie Anderson vs. Whitworth People are going to sleep on Willie, but Willie was a little better
5.) Rudi Johnson vs. Joe Mixon Joe Mixon is a more talented back
6.) Steinbach vs. Zeitler Steinbach
7.) Takeo Spikes vs. Burfict Spikes was better and did it without the dumb plays
8.) Jerome Simpson vs. John Ross Oof...Ross? Ross looked pretty solid when healthy this year
9.) Leon Hall vs Jonathan Joseph Joseph was slightly better and played at a high level for much longer
10.) Chris Perry vs Jeremy Hill At least Jeremy Hill did it big for 1 season
11.) Chris Henry vs Gio Bernard Gotta go Gio, because he didn't bring any negativity to the team
12.) Justin Smith vs. Michael Johnson Justin Smith and it's not close
13.) Kelly Washington vs. Auden Tate Auden Tate
14.) Jordan Shipley vs Rex Burkhead Jordan Shipley...we only saw a hint of his potential. Injuries suck
15.) Levi Jones vs Andre Smith Levi Jones
16.) Peko vs Pacman Peko. He was an underrated player among fans, and didn't bring the issues Pacman did

Bonus - Coaches

17.) Piano Man vs Jim Turner Oof. You did say "prime" so I'll roll with Piano Man
18.) Bob Bratowski vs Ken Zampese Again, you said prime, so I'll roll with Brat (why you doing this to me?)
19.) Zimmers ire vs. Marvin's giggle I'd rather be punched by Zimmer than listen to Marv giggle

Answers in bold
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I thought the toughest question was Whit vs Willie. We all know Whit's PFF grades, etc. That said, I think people are starting to forget how dominant Willie was. He was ignored for years due to being on terrible teams, but the minute we started winning, Willie made 4 straight All-Pro teams, including 3 straight 1st teams.

For anyone who doubts his dominance:

Quote:In three of his 13 seasons that were played in a kind of golden age of the pass rusher, where the top 13 all-time sackers worked during Anderson’s run from 1996-2008, he allowed no sacks. While helping Dillon produce two of the greatest single-game rushing efforts ever, Anderson blanked sack artists ranging from the Minister of Defense (Reggie White) in a one-night revival against the Packers to T. Sizzle (Terrell Suggs) in semi-annual division fare against Baltimore.

Anderson can remember all the sacks allowed. There weren't that many. He thinks there were maybe something like 10 in 13 years. But after running through the list of the greatest sackers, even Anderson is amazed by this:

During his 181 games for the Bengals, he faced nine of the NFL’s 11 current leading all-time sackers and it’s believed he allowed only one sack. The only ones he missed were DeMarcus Ware and John Randle and that one he gave up was to all-time leader Bruce Smith with 19 seconds left in a game the Bills led by two touchdowns.

Anderson was a rookie at left tackle, and Smith was burnishing his case for what ended up being his 1996 Defensive Player of the Year award.

“I went against all those guys,” (Roaf, Boselli, Pace, etc) says Chuck Smith, who had 58.5 sacks for the Falcons in the last eight seasons of the ‘90s. “And I got a sack against all of them but Willie. Willie was special. He’s a Hall-of-Famer. He’s in that same class with Roaf and Ogden. Willie is as good as it gets.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/where-there-is-a-will-there-is-a-hall-18565086

...and Willie was equally as dominant as a run blocker. I don't think we can say that (as much) about Whit.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 03:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Alright, thought this could be cool. I'm going to pit various Bengals from the last 20 years against one another. Consider all of these comparisons with each player being at their prime.

I will throw in a couple of choices that aren't the same position, but more of a who would you rather have on your roster.  

Here we go...

1.) Carson vs. Andy. Carson
2.) Chad vs. AJ.  AJ
3.) Housh vs. Boyd vs. Marvin Jones vs. Sanu (Pick 1) Housh
4.) Willie Anderson vs. Whitworth   Whitworth
5.) Rudi Johnson vs. Joe Mixon   Mixon
6.) Steinbach vs. Zeitler    Steinbach, I know Zeitler was good, but for some reason I never really liked him
7.) Takeo Spikes vs. Burfict   Spikes
8.) Jerome Simpson vs. John Ross   Ross
9.) Leon Hall vs Jonathan Joseph  Hall
10.) Chris Perry vs Jeremy Hill   Perry
11.) Chris Henry vs Gio Bernard  Henry
12.) Justin Smith vs. Michael Johnson  ? Justin all the way
13.) Kelly Washington vs. Auden Tate   No one beats the Squirrel
14.) Jordan Shipley vs Rex Burkhead    Shipley
15.) Levi Jones vs Andre Smith   Levi Jones
16.) Peko vs Pacman   Peko

Bonus - Coaches

17.) Piano Man vs Jim Turner  Jim Turner
18.) Bob Bratowski vs Ken Zampese  Bratkowski
19.) Zimmers ire vs. Marvin's giggle  HAHAHAHA Zimmer

And answers in
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 06:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Is it? I think people are being objective. Palmer was far mor talented if you’re picking  out of the two in their “primes.”

2005 vs 2015.....    we are due in 5 years for an epic run.
Reply/Quote
Dan Coates vs Drew sample.?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2020, 06:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Dan Coates vs Drew sample.?

How about Drew Sample vs Sean "2 packs a day" Brewer?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2020, 03:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Here we go...

1.) Carson vs. Andy.....Carson
2.) Chad vs. AJ.....AJ
3.) Housh vs. Boyd vs. Marvin Jones vs. Sanu (Pick 1)..Housh
4.) Willie Anderson vs. Whitworth.....Big Willie
5.) Rudi Johnson vs. Joe Mixon.....Mixon
6.) Steinbach vs. Zeitler…..Steinbach
7.) Takeo Spikes vs. Burfict.....Spikes
8.) Jerome Simpson vs. John Ross.....Simpson
9.) Leon Hall vs Jonathan Joseph.....Hall
10.) Chris Perry vs Jeremy Hill.....Perry. (Jeremy Hill is dead to me. He took part of my soul)
11.) Chris Henry vs Gio Bernard.....Slim
12.) Justin Smith vs. Michael Johnson.....J Smith
13.) Kelly Washington vs. Auden Tate.....Tate. (I know I'm in the minority, but I think Tate is a diamond in the rough...if used correctly)
14.) Jordan Shipley vs Rex Burkhead.....Burkhead. (Every time I see him in a Pat's uni, I throw up a little in my mouth)
15.) Levi Jones vs Andre Smith.....Levi
16.) Peko vs Pacman.....Peko

Bonus - Coaches

17.) Piano Man vs Jim Turner.....*holding my nose*--Turner.
18.) Bob Bratowski vs Ken Zampese…..*holding my nose again--Brat.
19.) Zimmers ire vs. Marvin's giggle.....Zim's ire.
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote