Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player you had high hopes for but did not work out.
(07-16-2015, 09:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Recently:

Dontay Moch

Taylor Mays

Older:

John Copeland

Eric Bieniemy

Eric Sleeping-With-Bienemy  ThumbsUp

I also had high hopes for Moch.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 09:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Andy Dalton.   Ninja

Ouch... 

I mean If this was a list of players who you had high hopes could take us to the SB based off of their regular season... then yeah he would deserve to be on it. 

But as far as draft high hopes goes C'mon
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:42 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Eric Sleeping-With-Bienemy  ThumbsUp

2nd best Berman nickname ever.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 09:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Older:

Eric Bieniemy

Just curious, but why were you disappointed with Bieniemy? He was better for us than he was for SD, and he filled his role as 3rd down back quite nicely. Here's a summary of his brief career in stripes:

1995- 805 yards from scrimmage - 3.9 per rush - 43 catches 
1996- 541 yards from scrimmage - 4.8 per rush - 32 catches
1997- 346 yards from scrimmage - 4.6 per rush - 31 catches (was our primary KR and averaged 23.3 ypr with a TD)
1998- 209 yards from scrimmage - 3.3 per rush - 27 catches

He was phased out as a runner once Dillon was on board, but I felt like Bieniemy did a good job in his role. He was kind of a poor-man's Gio.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just curious, but why were you disappointed with Bieniemy?

Because I remember watching him in College.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 11:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because I remember watching him in College.

True, he was great in college, but he barely played during his 4 years in SD.

At least the Bengals were smart enough to use him in other ways (as a receiver and returner).

He was always successful with the touches he got. I would say that maybe he couldn't handle a full workload, but he was about the same size as Barry.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I had some high hopes for Chase Coffman.

Reply/Quote
The whole 2005 draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'll admit it, I was a big supporter of Brandon Ghee. Really thought he had the looks of a solid CB, plus he wasn't afraid to tackle.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Going way back I thought Charles Alexander would be a star for us.

And Dave Rimington was considered among the greatest college centers of all time. I remember back when he was drafted they used an "Explosive power" formula that used body weight and vertical leap. I believe he sat a record in that. He was 6'3", 290. I don't know what his vertical was but and they showed film of him dunking like crazy.

Come to think of it I don't know why they don't use that metric anymore. If you think about it it is a pretty good measure of explosive power. A guy who weighs 300 should get a lot more credit for jumping just as high as a guy who only weighs 250.
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 2nd best Berman nickname ever.

What do you think was the best?

There were TONS that were just hilarious!

I loved college football before the wreck because it was just more pure of football than the NFL, and, being that football was the love of my life, that's what I loved.

My old man and I used to watch NFL PrimeTime every week just to watch/listen to Berman.
Reply/Quote
Recently, Corey Lynch and Dontay Moch.

I thought both were underrated guys who had the kind of drive to make up for not having a more complete passion.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 12:44 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: What do you think was the best?

Bert "be home" Blyleven

Reply/Quote
Margus Hunt and Devon Still were both very big wins on draft day in my opinion.

After these two, I've generally stopped thinking our 2nd round pick will do anything. Then I can be pleasantly surprised if they amount to anything.

Keiwan Ratliff, Odell Thurman, Kenny Irons, Jerome Simpson, Devon Still and Margus Hunt have all underwhelmed as 2nd round picks. 6 out of 14 2nd round picks is an awfully high failure rate for such high round picks.
Reply/Quote
Carson Palmer. I thought he was fo sho going to take us to the holy grail of football and then the knee..then the arm...then the pick6's...then Oakland. .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 09:59 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Well it was his paid job technically. Drinking and snorting cocaine is what he was doing like it was his paid job.

Warrick tops my list, followed by AJ Nicholson and Reinard Wilson. My Nole fandom showing a bit?

I wouldn't consider Reinard Wilson a bust. He was a reach where he was drafted, but was a productive player for us, IMO.

Reply/Quote
Recently:
Devon Still

Older:
Craig Yeast
Ty Parten

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 02:11 AM)orangeandblackblood Wrote: Recently:
Devon Still

Older:
Craig Yeast
Ty Parten

I'm still hopeful for Still. He's had distractions. Hopefully, his best years are ahead. 
Reply/Quote
Moch and Muckelroy were pretty big letdowns. I was sure that they'd come into their own and be a nasty pair of linebackers.
Reply/Quote
Chris Perry, and Bernard Scott
Reply/Quote