Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Players Skipping Bowl Games
(12-22-2017, 03:14 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: the NFL combine should be banned. It got us Ross AND regardless of the combine, we still got out of shape players like our #1 draft Smith a few years back. Overrated.

Jiggly!
http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap2000000139000/Andre-Smith-s-pro-day-40-yard-dash

He might have been overrated... But he still turned out to be the best OT out of that draft class I believe.. (at least of the top 15 picks which were like 4 OTs)
Reply/Quote
I said this when McCaffrey skipped his, I will say it again.

I understand the concept of the risk, but I would be hard pressed as a GM to take anyone who skips their Bowl Game while healthy. I want a competitor and a team player. I want a guy who couldn't stand the idea that he'd be sitting at home or letting down his teammates. For a lot of these players, they will never play a snap in the NFL. This is their last chance at football glory, and you abandon them on a business decision? That's not the type of player I would want on my team.

As a side note, say a player does sit out and the team wins. Are they still as good as you thought they were if they team can move on from them? McCaffrey sat out, Stanford still won, he's been a shit RB in the NFL and his backup at Stanford is having a better season than McCaffrey ever had.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 07:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I said this when McCaffrey skipped his, I will say it again.

I understand the concept of the risk, but I would be hard pressed as a GM to take anyone who skips their Bowl Game while healthy. I want a competitor and a team player. I want a guy who couldn't stand the idea that he'd be sitting at home or letting down his teammates. For a lot of these players, they will never play a snap in the NFL. This is their last chance at football glory, and you abandon them on a business decision? That's not the type of player I would want on my team.

As a side note, say a player does sit out and the team wins. Are they still as good as you thought they were if they team can move on from them? McCaffrey sat out, Stanford still won, he's been a shit RB in the NFL and his backup at Stanford is having a better season than McCaffrey ever had.

No, he hasn't. He has 6 more receptions than AJ Green, 3 less than Julio Jones, and is a backup RB on his team. Has 7 total touchdowns.

If you think McCaffrey is bad, I wonder what your opinion is on Joe Mixon.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
It's a business decision. Remember when Marcus Lattimore broke his knee in October? Dude went into the 7th round and lost out on a ton of money. There's been injuries that have destroyed careers and projections.

Let me ask you this: As a college student who has not made any money for the past few years, you are almost guaranteed a few million dollars, but an injury takes away millions as well. There's no point in playing, coaches have seen your tape. Do you risk it for one more game? Or decide that your future is more important than one bowl game?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Eh, I see both sides. That said, if a player skips a major bowl game, and it costs the team the win...he better HOPE he doesn't get drafted by a team with players that are alumni of his old school.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't like it.  If a player feels like they are that "borderline" that they need 3 months to prepare like a track athlete, in order to put on a faster façade of who they are as an actual player, I feel like they need to go out and make one last statement on the football field..

Just my opinion, I'm sure others will differ.

Feel the exact same way. These guys can get injured walking to their car or preparing for the combine.

Also think it shows poor sportsmanship bailing on their team before a bowl game. You are letting your team down.

Don't like it when college coaches leave their team cause they got hired for another job either.

I can understand it if a talented player is coming off of injury though and doesn't want to re-injure themselves.
Reply/Quote
I say don't quit on your team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How do you feel about players skipping bowl games to not risk injury and prepare for the NFL Combine?

I understand completely why players skip their bowl games, and I support their right to do so.  At the same time, I would knock players that do skip their bowl games down on my draft board.  There is really no better example of a player being "me first" instead of "team first" than guys who do that.  If you're an early round selection, which you probably are if you're skipping your bowl game, you not playing can be the difference between your team winning and losing.  It could be the difference between a lot of your teammates last experience in competitive football being a win or a bitter defeat.  It can be the difference between the coaches who recruited and helped train you to the level of a high NFL draft pick having a job in a few years or not.  I want guys that are going to stick with their teammates through thick and thin, not guys that pack it in when there is nothing more for them to personally gain.
Reply/Quote
You need to look out for yourself and your family. Skip the Massengill Stuff for Ladies' Who-Has Bowl until the NCAA either starts sharing some of the Bowl season gravy or provides some insurance for your protection.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of the game. Don’t even watch it. Too scared.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 07:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: No, he hasn't. He has 6 more receptions than AJ Green, 3 less than Julio Jones, and is a backup RB on his team. Has 7 total touchdowns.

If you think McCaffrey is bad, I wonder what your opinion is on Joe Mixon.

Receptions are now the gauge on if someone is a good RUNNING back? 8th overall pick RB and he's got 382 rushing yards at 3.7 YPC. If he had about 2-3 more yards per catch, he'd be a pretty mean slot receiver, but nobody wants an 8-yard-per-catch receiver, and they sure don't want to use the 8th overall pick on them.

I've never been shy getting out my opinion that Mixon has been a letdown. He has shown a little shake, but he's a 230lb RB. He needs to be going N-S and running through arm tackles. First Hill, now Mixon, I am starting to believe either they scout guys like this, or they are coaching them to be like this.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 12:03 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Receptions are now the gauge on if someone is a good RUNNING back? 8th overall pick RB and he's got 382 rushing yards at 3.7 YPC. If he had about 2-3 more yards per catch, he'd be a pretty mean slot receiver, but nobody wants an 8-yard-per-catch receiver, and they sure don't want to use the 8th overall pick on them.

I've never been shy getting out my opinion that Mixon has been a letdown. He has shown a little shake, but he's a 230lb RB. He needs to be going N-S and running through arm tackles. First Hill, now Mixon, I am starting to believe either they scout guys like this, or they are coaching them to be like this.

One thing Jeremy Hill and Joe Mixon have in common--When they get even minimal blocking, they gain yards.  Barry Sanders was only born once.  And I'm not sure he could have done anything for most of the season behind this line.

Mostly a case of people wanting to ***** about things and pat themselves on the back for being harsh critics.

McCaffrey was drafted to be exactly what he is.  What an awful thing a low risk 8 yards on first down is.  Or second or third.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It doesn't bother me one way or the other. There are way too many bowl games anyway, and only a few of them are special. Bowl games benefit nobody but the sponsors, the universities, and the NCAA. Players get nothing except some swag-which can be some awesome stuff-but as far as I know there's nothing in the rules that requires a player's participation. Since we're talking about McCaffrey...Stanford played in one of those WhoGivesaDamn Bowls that year. Just guessing, but his decision might have been different if Stanford had made, say, the Rose Bowl. The point is, players are within their rights to play or not as they see fit. YMMV.
Reply/Quote
hate it personally.

Do not blame any for going pro early but feel they should play or at least have a phantom injury. lol

Not liking Jaire Alexander sitting for my Cards, but would like to applaud Lamar jackson for playing.

The school did give you the platform to get drafted, finish out your last season.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Why not skip the whole season and completely eliminate the risk of any kind of injury, I say.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 04:16 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To me, it just goes to show you the kind of person they are.
To me, it suggests they care more about making money then about winning football games.

I would be wary of selecting any of these guys, because, to me, this suggests the kind of player who will hold out for more money during training camp and things of that nature.

To me.
Ok , I know this is extreme but say you can look into the future. You are a first round draft prospect. You absolutely know that you are going to be the hero in a meaningless bowl game but you are going to have a career ending injury. Would you go out a hero, or choose millions of dollars that would support your family for years?

After working at crap jobs and struggling for the last 25 years  I know which one I would choose.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How do you feel about players skipping bowl games to not risk injury and prepare for the NFL Combine?

I misread your thread title this morning and replied as if you were referring to the pro bowl. Those game I dislike very much and don't watch. As for college? It's ridiculous to skip out on your bowl game. If I were  coach, I would remove such player from my draft board because he is not a team player. After all, isn't winning games during the regular season about getting to bowl games? Good lord, our kids are so selfish nowdays. 

Reply/Quote
I'm not going to assassinate anyone's character for choosing not to play in a meaningless game. If they want to play, that's fine. If they don't want to play, that's fine. If a team wants to drop them down their draft board for it, fine. If a team doesn't want to, fine.

Ultimately it is what it is.
Reply/Quote
I think you have to look at a players entire history rather than just basing on what they decide for the bowl game. Fournette was killed last off-season for not playing the bowl, but no one gave him credit for trying to rush himself back to play in the season opener, or for the Auburn game, or for the Alabama game or for the Florida game.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 03:25 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Ok , I know this is extreme but say you can look into the future. You are a first round draft prospect. You absolutely know that you are going to be the hero in a meaningless bowl game but you are going to have a career ending injury. Would you go out a hero, or choose millions of dollars that would support your family for years?

After working at crap jobs and struggling for the last 25 years  I know which one I would choose.

This is probably how I'd see it if I were in their situation. The players who are likely 1st or 2nd rounder have already busted their humps on a volunteer basis for a lengthy period of time. I'd take the money in my pocket if I were them.
Reply/Quote