Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players To Resign or not and all things 2020 Season.
More and more in our monthly Reds 2019 threads, some are no longer talking Reds 2019 and all talk is on 2020 and beyond.

As I start this, the Reds are still close to 1st place with 6 weeks to play.

So I'm starting this thread in hopes that people post about who gets resigned, who doesn't get resigned, and all things Reds 2020 here. That would leave Reds August thread for Reds in August and Reds in September for Reds in September for people that want to talk about games in 2019. Hopefully people wanting to talk 2020 or 2021 will move those chats to here.

A certain amount of talking next seasons is OK on game chats, but when it goes to the extreme it is time to start a new thread.

So here, do they resign Iggey and all things 2020. A fun thread to discuss all front office moves for 2020 season. Separate from Fans talking about 2019 and todays game and fans still talking 2019. This thread for all things 2020 and beyond.

It just seems it is time for a thread for all things 2020 and maybe get some of that out of Reds August Games Thread and to come Reds September Games Thread.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'll carry a hot topic over to start. What's The Deal With Iggey ? Do Reds keep him in 2020 ?

Who else do Reds keep or cut this off season ?
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Iggy is worth a look for long-term at SS. Galvis is sure looking good thus far but so has JVM. I guess it depends on the asking price for Iggy. They may make a qualifying offer. Iggy has openly stated that he wants to remain a Red. Maybe he will agree to a team friendly contract to a team who believed in him.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wait a minute.. Didn't the OP just advise everyone to quit talking about next year, and focus on what's happening right now, in the Reds month of August thread?? Hmm

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, there’s so few posters on this board that I don’t think it matters where we post. I wish there were more posters but in a way it’s nice that things seem more casual. The Reds really aren’t that close to first place. Will they play .800 baseball the rest of the season? No. Iglesias makes sense on a short term, cost friendly deal. I like 2 years with a team option for year 3. Wood doesn’t look worth bringing back, he’s giving up a lot of homeruns.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 04:32 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Unfortunately, there’s so few posters on this board that I don’t think it matters where we post. I wish there were more posters but in a way it’s nice that things seem more casual. The Reds really aren’t that close to first place. Will they play .800 baseball the rest of the season? No. Iglesias makes sense on a short term, cost friendly deal. I like 2 years with a team option for year 3. Wood doesn’t look worth bringing back, he’s giving up a lot of homeruns.

Wood has been a bit disappointing thus far no doubt. ERA 5.59 and I don't think that includes today yet. Opponents batting .316 against him !
I don't think anybody expected him to come out and go 5-0 with 3 shutouts with a 1.50 ERA, but I think we were all hoping for a bit more to say the least. I'm not as high on bringing him back as I was but who knows he may be back to prior form net season ?

As far as Iggy goes I hope they can bring him back he's very good on D, wish he would tone down the hot dogging a bit.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 06:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Wood has been a bit disappointing thus far no doubt. ERA 5.59 and I don't think that includes today yet. Opponents batting .316 against him !
I don't think anybody expected him to come out and go 5-0 with 3 shutouts with a 1.50 ERA, but I think we were all hoping for a bit more to say the least. I'm not as high on bringing him back as I was but who knows he may be back to prior form net season ?

As far as Iggy goes I hope they can bring him back he's very good on D, wish he would tone down the hot dogging a bit.

If Wood’s last couple of starts of the season are decent, the Reds may be able to roll the dice on a cheap 1 year deal.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2019, 06:59 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: If Wood’s last couple of starts of the season are decent, the Reds may be able to roll the dice on a cheap 1 year deal.

Yep

If Wood would sign to a decent  short term year or two deal I wouldn't hate rolling the dice. I mean he was very recently a top level LH starter. But so many of them today want these mega long contracts, I wouldn't do that he's still to big a question mark.

I'm hoping to they can get a bit better in the bullpen. Guys like Peralta and Romano we need a little bit higher level than them. Perhaps Gausman and Kuhnel and others will work out ?

But mainly I have a lot of misgivings about R. Iglesias. I'm just not so sure should we get into the mix for playoffs he's the man to close. Every time he comes in I tense up.
Reply/Quote
Wood definitely shouldn’t get a big deal unless he’s very good in all of his remaining starts and the Reds still shouldn’t gamble big money on him. Finding relievers is an every year thing. Every team needs them and guys can pitch decently one year and then suck the next. I really think that a lot of luck goes into fielding a decent bullpen.
Reply/Quote
Unless they're planning to hunt big game like Didi Grigorius (who may be looking at 20 mil per year), I think signing Iglesias is a no-brainer. You'll get him for 6 or 7 mil and he's happy to be here. He's okay offensively and is a wizard on defense. There's nobody on his level coming up through the minors at SS. Give him 3 years and bet set a short.
Reply/Quote
Wood is still essentially in spring training mode. The Dude has Cy Young Candidate stuff. He just hasn't found his groove. I would bring him back on 2-3 year deal in heart beat. I am disappointed the Reds lost again.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
When talking about all the options for 2020 don't forget that Senzel was a second basemen for most of his minor league career.
Reply/Quote
Alex Wood is a hard sell for me. I definitely don't think they should give him a QO. If they want to sign him to a friendly ~9 million per year contract for 1 or 2 years, I think that'd be mostly fine. He's definitely not worth more than that on the open market.

Iggy, again, a team friendly deal would be fine. He isn't particularly special in any way and we have Galvis for next year as well. We could probably use that money better to sure up our bullpen. We won't be winners in 2020 if we have more David Hernandez, R.J. Alaniz, Wandy Rodriguez, Sal Romano, Zach Duke, Matt Bowman types in there. We really need reliable arms in the bullpen.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 12:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When talking about all the options for 2020 don't forget that Senzel was a second basemen for most of his minor league career.

Third base. VanMeter played 2nd most of the time.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 12:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When talking about all the options for 2020 don't forget that Senzel was a second basemen for most of his minor league career.

The thing is that there’s already about 4 guys trying to win that position.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 04:21 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The thing is that there’s already about 4 guys trying to win that position.

Yes, I know.  But none of them are good enough to lock it down.

I am just saying we have a lot of options.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 03:31 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Third base. VanMeter played 2nd most of the time.

You are correct.  Last year Senzel played more games at 2B than 3B with the Bats, but for the rest of his career ('15-'17) he played 3B.

VanMeter is a freaking Swiss Army Knife.  Look at the number of games he has started at these positions in the minors

2B  192
3B  157
SS   94
LF   71
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2019, 05:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are correct.  Last year Senzel played more games at 2B than 3B with the Bats, but for the rest of his career ('15-'17) he played 3B.

VanMeter is a freaking Swiss Army Knife.  Look at the number of games he has started at these positions in the minors

2B  192
3B  157
SS   94
LF   71

I'd like to see em give VanMeter a good long look to close out this season. He seems to be an above average defender, has some speed with some stolen bases. Is a decent hitter, probably not a slugger but if you get 16 HR's or so from 2nd base 60 RBI's or something that's just gravy.
Reply/Quote
Reds need to dump the highest paid Red on team. If they can get a team to pick up the majority of the Joey Votto contract, small market Cincy has to do it. Jack McKean would dump that big contract and he would be right. Just as McKean said if he had stayed in Cincy he would have never added the Griffey Jr highest paid Red contact at the time.

So Reds can be loyal to Votto and spend a lot of payroll on him. Or they can try to shop him off asking little to nothing in trade return just to dump payroll. Freeing up money is needed to put a winning team together.

The Reds need a less expensive first baseman and the guy could easily beat out Votto numbers last 2 years.

People ask what was missing from 2019 Reds. I'm in Reds Fantasy Leagues and nobody wants Votto. Reds Fantasy Leagues and nobody wants him. They want other Reds, but not him. I've picked him up out of free agency a few times, but always had to throw him back. Last year was the same story.

Maybe Peraza and Iglasias up the middle. Suarez at 3rd. Aquino is in Right. Senzel, Van Meter, Winker in OF . This Ervin looked awful Sunday in CF, but he gets on base. Give the dude a 1st basemans mitt and have him practice it in off season. I saw Stargell & Dunn and other OF of not great D make the move to 1st. Ervin won't be a Gold Glove, but would put up good bat numbers for much less pay than Votto. There are others they can put at first also such as Farmer.

Votto is the highest paid Red that needs to go if a team picks up most of his contract.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 02:17 PM)kevin Wrote: Reds need to dump the highest paid Red on team.  If they can get a team to pick up the majority of the Joey Votto contract,  small market Cincy has to do it.   Jack McKean would dump that big contract and he would be right.  Just as McKean said if he had stayed in Cincy he would have never added the Griffey Jr highest paid Red contact at the time.  

So Reds can be loyal to Votto and spend a lot of payroll on him.  Or they can try to shop him off asking little to nothing in trade return just to dump payroll. Freeing up money is needed to put a winning team together.  

The Reds need a less expensive first baseman and the guy could easily beat out Votto numbers last 2 years.

People ask what was missing from 2019 Reds.  I'm in Reds Fantasy Leagues and nobody wants Votto.   Reds Fantasy Leagues and nobody wants him.  They want other Reds, but not him.  I've picked him up out of free agency a few times, but always had to throw him back. Last year was the same story.

Maybe Peraza and Iglasias up the middle. Suarez at 3rd.   Aquino is in Right.   Senzel, Van Meter, Winker in OF .   This Ervin looked awful Sunday in CF, but he gets on base.  Give the dude a 1st basemans mitt and have him practice it in off season.  I saw Stargell & Dunn and other OF of not great D make the move to 1st.  Ervin won't be a Gold Glove, but would put up good bat numbers for much less pay than Votto.   There are others they can put at first also such as Farmer.

Votto is the highest paid Red that needs to go if a team picks up most of his contract.

For sure 1B and LF are killing us in run production, especially 1B.

But there's two giant hurdles to get over in trading JV. 

1. I'm sure JV has a no trade clause, so he has to agree to it.
2. 25 million a year for 4 more years.

I'm not saying it's impossible I never figured they'd be able to unload Bailey but they did. Votto will turn 36 in a couple weeks. Who's going to pay an aging, slow, clearly in decline 1Bman at a rate of the 6th highest paid position player in MLB ?

If you exclude his 2014 62 game season his career slugging is near .550 the last two years it's about .414 averaging 12 HR's and about 50 RBI's

I'm no where close to a MLB contract/trade expert. But I'd venture to say the only way they're gonna move him (if he agrees, big IF) is to agree to pay a giant chunk of that salary.

You hear about it in football but I don't really recall it much in baseball. But is a contract renegotiation possible ? JV agreeing to a pay cut ?
Reply/Quote