Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players as Future Head Coaches
Every week Jay Morrison of The Athletic does a lockerroom survey. Last week's question was which other player do you see as a head coach

It is an interesting question as a thoughtful answer provides an insight into who the players and coaches think about leadership, communication, football IQ of their teammates.

Zac eliminated QBs in his response because he said that was a no brainer. He chose Gio because of how he sees the game and CJ Uzomah because of personality. Gio, btw, said nope. CJ said yep

The most named player was Alex Erickson due to his football smarts. That makes sense since he has to play smarter because he lacks the huge athletic ability of other receivers.

The next player named most often was Shawn Williams...every person spoke to him being a disciplinarian.

The most surprising answer from several, including Jim Turner (though Trey Hopkins was his first choice) was Bobby Hart with his intelligence being his strongest quality. Naming OL is not unusual, they are often considered most football smart players but I was surprised they named Bobby maybe because that football IQ doesn't always seem to translate to his play.

In my opinion, Chris Crocker is the most likely candidate among former players. If he wants it, Andrew Whitworth could make it at the NFL level.

I always thought that now former Bengals Adam Jones and Vontez Burfict would make good position coaches due solely to their football IQ and player communication. Though their known personal issues would get in the way of them being hired.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:38 PM)pally Wrote: Every week Jay Morrison of The Athletic does a lockerroom survey.  Last week's question was which other player do you see as a head coach

It is an interesting question as a thoughtful answer provides an insight into who the players and coaches think about leadership, communication, football  IQ of their teammates.

Zac eliminated QBs in his response because he said that was a no brainer.  He chose Gio because of how he sees the game and CJ Uzomah because of personality.  Gio, btw, said nope.  CJ said yep

The most named player was Alex Erickson due to his football smarts. That makes sense since he has to play smarter because he lacks the huge athletic ability of other receivers.

The next player named most often was Shawn Williams...every person spoke to him being a disciplinarian.

The most surprising answer from several, including Jim Turner (though Trey Hopkins was his first choice) was Bobby Hart with his intelligence being his strongest quality.  Naming OL is not unusual, they are often considered most football smart players but I was surprised they named Bobby maybe because that football IQ doesn't always seem to translate to his play.

In my opinion, Chris Crocker is the most likely candidate among former players.  If he wants it,  Andrew Whitworth could make it at the NFL level.

I always thought that now former Bengals Adam Jones and Vontez Burfict would make good position coaches due solely to their football IQ and player communication.  Though their known personal issues would get in the way of them being hired.

Burfict and Adam Jones as coaches? Pass.
Reply/Quote
From the day he was drafted Whitworth has been described as the type of guy who becomes a coach.

At the combine he wowed teams with his ability to diagram plays and break down blocking schemes on the whiteboard.

As a player he was the clear leader of the O-line constantly getting them together to bond as a group.

And the reason he is still playing is his amazing work ethic.  The guy is in incrdible shape.  He looks LEAN at 6-7, 330.

[Image: vIGuo0Yn_400x400.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burfict and Adam Jones as coaches? Pass.

As position coaches I'll take them... Just as long as Ritchie Incognito is my HC.

#dreamteam
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:38 PM)pally Wrote: In my opinion, Chris Crocker is the most likely candidate among former players.  If he wants it,  Andrew Whitworth could make it at the NFL level.

I can see both of those, but the easiest answer right now of former Bengal who will be a HC someday is Jon Kitna. 

He was already a HS coach a couple years and now he's a QB Coach for the Cowboys, which is coinciding with Dak Prescott making a HUGE advancement in his game going from a guy who is an Alex Smith-style game manager to a guy looking like he can carry a team with his arm.

With the way that the league is so offense-oriented, you have to imagine offensive players are the ones who will have the biggest advantage at being future HCs. If you can be a QB whisperer, bonus points.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 06:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I can see both of those, but the easiest answer right now of former Bengal who will be a HC someday is Jon Kitna. 

He was already a HS coach a couple years and now he's a QB Coach for the Cowboys, which is coinciding with Dak Prescott making a HUGE advancement in his game going from a guy who is an Alex Smith-style game manager to a guy looking like he can carry a team with his arm.

With the way that the league is so offense-oriented, you have to imagine offensive players are the ones who will have the biggest advantage at being future HCs. If you can be a QB whisperer, bonus points.

I had forgotten about Kitna.  I agree

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It'll probably be more likely someone like Hardy Nickerson than Whit.

Whitworth's already 37 and he hasn't even finished playing! These days the top coaches are appointed at 36 with over a decade's worth of coaching under their belt Cool
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 06:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From the day he was drafted Whitworth has been described as the type of guy who becomes a coach.

At the combine he wowed teams with his ability to diagram plays and break down blocking schemes on the whiteboard.

As a player he was the clear leader of the O-line constantly getting them together to bond as a group.

And the reason he is still playing is his amazing work ethic.  The guy is in incrdible shape.  He looks LEAN at 6-7, 330.

If he retired and decided to try his luck as a coach, I'd bring him in and wouldn't let him leave.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 06:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From the day he was drafted Whitworth has been described as the type of guy who becomes a coach.

Wow, even his kiddos turned ram fans just like that. where's the loyalty?  Ninja So will he retire as a Ram fans and to the HOF?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 06:41 PM)pally Wrote: I had forgotten about Kitna.  I agree

I disagree, he couldn't even help Akili Smith.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 09:31 AM)Big Boss Wrote: If he retired and decided to try his luck as a coach, I'd bring him in and wouldn't let him leave.

That's called kidnapping.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 11:29 AM)PhilHos Wrote: That's called kidnapping.  Mellow

Whatever it takes.

Mellow
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 11:29 AM)PhilHos Wrote: That's called kidnapping.  Mellow

What is kidnapping compared to giving Marvi a 2 year extension after the 17 season?
Reply/Quote