Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing GM
When I look at this year's draft and our list of free agents, I have to weigh two things. Available talent in the draft and positions of greatest need. We stand to lose the most at WR and at defensive secondary.

Honestly, I don't see alot of talent at defensive secondary positions. I love Karl Joseph the safety out of WVa, but I doubt he'd fall to 24. I do see a ton of talent at WR.

If I'm GM, I let Sanu and M. Jones walk. Save that money to spend re-signing Iloka, PacMan, Reggie, and Leon (2 year deal at max). Our secondary is very very good. Our #2 and #3 WRs? We can use a serious upgrade at both.

I'd go after Treadwell out of Ole Miss with our first round pick. Help the front 7 in round 2, and then go after Sterling Shepard (WR, Oklahoma) in Round 3. I think it would put our offense over the top. We could still do enough to improve our front seven to come close to being as good on D as we were in 2015, if not better. It depends on who is there in Rounds 2 & 4.

I know that conventional wisdom has us focusing on DT and LB, and I'm not saying it's wrong to think in that direction. I have myself in my two mocks. I'm just throwing this out there as an alternative.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I doubt Treadwell drops to #24....

But I'd take him or Corey Coleman in 1st and get someone in FA like Nate Washington, Brian Quick, etc.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
A shame to pick offense 1st, but it may be more needed.

I expect Treadwell to be off the board also.  Coleman, Doctson, and Fuller might be the options.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 05:08 AM)Shady Wrote: When I look at this year's draft and our list of free agents, I have to weigh two things. Available talent in the draft and positions of greatest need. We stand to lose the most at WR and at defensive secondary.

Honestly, I don't see alot of talent at defensive secondary positions. I love Karl Joseph the safety out of WVa, but I doubt he'd fall to 24. I do see a ton of talent at WR.

If I'm GM, I let Sanu and M. Jones walk. Save that money to spend re-signing Iloka, PacMan, Reggie, and Leon (2 year deal at max). Our secondary is very very good. Our #2 and #3 WRs? We can use a serious upgrade at both.

I'd go after Treadwell out of Ole Miss with our first round pick. Help the front 7 in round 2, and then go after Sterling Shepard (WR, Oklahoma) in Round 3. I think it would put our offense over the top. We could still do enough to improve our front seven to come close to being as good on D as we were in 2015, if not better. It depends on who is there in Rounds 2 & 4.

I know that conventional wisdom has us focusing on DT and LB, and I'm not saying it's wrong to think in that direction. I have myself in my two mocks. I'm just throwing this out there as an alternative.

I disagree on letting Jones walk... I see his production for the amount of passes thrown his way as the best reflection he is a solid #2. I don;t want to take a step back at WR  with a possible rookie that will not be ready or could be a bust since they are an unknown talent coming into the NFL

I prefer to let one of our safeties go since we have Williams as a viable back up.. and drafted Smith last year... 
Reply/Quote
I'd go all out to sign M.Jones and Iloka. Sign them, then you can draft a DT in the 1st round, LB in the 2nd and WR (maybe Pharoh Cooper) in the 3rd. C and CB are also needs.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 04:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I disagree on letting Jones walk... I see his production for the amount of passes thrown his way as the best reflection he is a solid #2. I don;t want to take a step back at WR  with a possible rookie that will not be ready or could be a bust since they are an unknown talent coming into the NFL

I prefer to let one of our safeties go since we have Williams as a viable back up.. and drafted Smith last year... 

I was very high on Shawn Williams when he came out of UGa. Higher on him than I was on Rambo. He filled in very well last year when we needed him. I'd be comfortable with him if Iloka wants too much. I think Reggie wants to be back, so they'll get him signed. 

Also, I threw the above idea out there as an alternative. I agree that MJ would be a safer bet than most rookies. But you have to decide which basket to put your eggs in. I hope we do all we can to keep our starters in the Def. Secondary. They were the biggest part of the reason why we gave up so few points last year. I wouldn't mind upgrading from Dre K though. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 09:28 PM)WrongVerb Wrote: I'd go all out to sign M.Jones and Iloka. Sign them, then you can draft a DT in the 1st round, LB in the 2nd and WR (maybe Pharoh Cooper) in the 3rd. C and CB are also needs.

If Cooper fell to us in the third, I'd be ecstatic. 
Reply/Quote
That's a very lateral move IMO.
Keeping Reggie at this point is not worth the money.
Losing MJ and Sanu just forces us into drafting a WR when we wouldn't have to.
We essentially create a need for ourselves. We would all but say hey defense, thanks for doing the heavy lifting last year but **** you.
At some point we have to invest quality picks in the defensive front 7 again. Geno and Dunlap are well into their prime. In a few years, you are going to wish we invested in some DL now.

Let Reggie go. He's in his 30s. Shawn Williams has shown he's ready to take the stage.
We still have Shaw and Derron to be depth at S.
Reply/Quote
I would let all three of Leon, Pacman, and Nelson go. Leon will be 32 with 2 Achilles surgeries, Pacman will be 33 and he is still Pacman, and Nelson will be 33. Age will catch up with us eventually in the secondary.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Nelson is vocal about wanting to come back. I believe he signs a cap friendly deal because he know he is aging and wants a last shot or two with a winning team. There is little to no doubt that Nelson is back. I predict 2 years at $8m, $5 in the first year with $3 following the next year.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 07:34 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: Nelson is vocal about wanting to come back. I believe he signs a cap friendly deal because he know he is aging and wants a last shot or two with a winning team. There is little to no doubt that Nelson is back. I predict 2 years at $8m, $5 in the first year with $3 following the next year.

Of course he's interested in returning. He's a 30+ DB. They don't fair too well in FA usually. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 09:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Of course he's interested in returning. He's a 30+ DB. They don't fair too well in FA usually. 

they do when you just had one of your best years as a pro
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2016, 09:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Of course he's interested in returning. He's a 30+ DB. They don't fair too well in FA usually. 

Well I certainly hope they bring him back.  Rock On
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
Corey Coleman and Braxton Miller.

lol You just covered what you lost in talent.

Spend the money of the Defensive FAs.

Pick up a FA WR.

If the Front office can lock up the Secondary then I would say shoot your load on BPA the whole draft.
We should be able to pick up some prime WR talent.
Reply/Quote
With Braxton Miller showing only a 4.5 in the 40 I think his stock just slipped to the 4th round or later. He's a Sanu type player who seems to be a better runner, but a bit worse in route running and catching. A project for sure.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Miller had to slip, wasn't very impressive.  But that's the rend with this class, no one is really standing out. To me, Michael Thomas out of osu had a disaster of a combine.  
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote