Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playing GM for a day
(01-10-2016, 06:53 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: A poor decision from the ref doesn't prove anything

I'm not sure the ref decided to get pushed. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm not sure the ref decided to get pushed. 

He did when he chose to not flag Porter for being on the field illegally and allowing him to get involved.
Ref does his job, none of the rest happens. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He did when he chose to not flag Porter for being on the field illegally and allowing him to get involved.
Ref does his job, none of the rest happens. 

...and Pacman doesn't push a ref it's a 50 yards FG attempt.

Should Porter have been flagged? Yes. Does that excuse Pacman? I say no, you say yes.

But back to the OP. I think it is all the more likely that Pacman is gone next year and I will be OK with that. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Officially, Bengals now pick 24th.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 10:13 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Officially, Bengals now pick 24th.

That pick was clinched right after the game, as they had the best record of any team playing in the first round
Reply/Quote
Isn't the cap expected to jump 10 million or so?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ...and Pacman doesn't push a ref it's a 50 yards FG attempt.

Should Porter have been flagged? Yes. Does that excuse Pacman? I say no, you say yes.

But back to the OP. I think it is all the more likely that Pacman is gone next year and I will be OK with that. 

In that situation it's on the refs to have control. 
Refs blew it, not the players. Especially when Steeler coaches initiate contact
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 12:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Only place i can see us looking for OL help is the Center position or Depth

I was pulling for Bodine, but he doesn't seem to be making any progress so I'm all for an upgrade there
Reply/Quote
Draft-wise, the main areas for upgrading should be:

C: Bodine is easily the weakest link on the OL, and replacements are already on the roster for Andre "Moobs" Smith. Several good center candidates are projected for the first 3 rounds.

DT: Peko is a replacement level talent. He generates zero pass rush, and isn't strong in the run game anymore. His salary dictates he should be replaced, and the dumb stunt he pulled in the WC game doesn't help him. A recent mock draft has the Bengals taking the DT from Baylor in the 1st, although he will likely shoot up once testing ends.

LB: Maybe catch Jaylen Smith on an injury discount and finally get a LB who can cover sideline to sideline. In the mid rounds, I also like the guy from Temple. Good instincts, decent size, a grinder and a playmaker.

S: Depth will be needed to replace Reggie Nelson.

WR: Sanu is a below average 3rd WR that has poor hands, and can't separate. If MLJ is retained, the 3rd WR needs upgrading. There is a fair amount of mid round WR talent this year.

K: Although not an early pick, a late rounder on a kicking upgrade would be nice. Nugent has one of the weakest legs in the league, and has been shaky at times. Aguaio would be nice, but unlikely.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2016, 04:03 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Draft-wise, the main areas for upgrading should be:

C:  Bodine is easily the weakest link on the OL, and replacements are already on the roster for Andre "Moobs" Smith.  Several good center candidates are projected for the first 3 rounds.

DT:  Peko is a replacement level talent.  He generates zero pass rush, and isn't strong in the run game anymore.  His salary dictates he should be replaced, and the dumb stunt he pulled in the WC game doesn't help him.  A recent mock draft has the Bengals taking the DT from Baylor in the 1st, although he will likely shoot up once testing ends.

LB:  Maybe catch Jaylen Smith on an injury discount and finally get a LB who can cover sideline to sideline.  In the mid rounds, I also like the guy from Temple.   Good instincts, decent size, a grinder and a playmaker.

S:  Depth will be needed to replace Reggie Nelson.  

WR:  Sanu is a below average 3rd WR that has poor hands, and can't separate.  If MLJ is retained, the 3rd WR needs upgrading.  There is a fair amount of mid round WR talent this year.

K:  Although not an early pick, a late rounder on a kicking upgrade would be nice.  Nugent has one of the weakest legs in the league, and has been shaky at times.  Aguaio would be nice, but unlikely.

I agree with all these. 

Bodine hasn't improved and we need better stability up the middle.

When I look at Peko I see a likable guy who does his best, but he's not very good, his 5 sacks are a result of having dunlap and atkins next to him.

We desperately need better linebackers, I love Burfict and hope that Dawson, Luc, and Roach get their chances, but Vinny R. is a backup and Lamur is disappointing. Rey M. is solid but not great. Jaylon Smith would be a blessing.

At safety I think unless Nelson resigns for a solid price let him walk, I have a feeling someone is going to see 8 ints and throw too much at an aging vet.

Sanu is solid, but no game changer and is absent far too long. I'm okay if we keep him, but not over Jones. I would love to see either a big WR or a guy who just has a knack for getting open and making plays like AB.

Kicker needs to be a priority probably through free agency though, Nugent just has too weak a leg. He's a solid guy, but not someone I trust to make us a 50 yarder when it matters.
Reply/Quote
This team will do what they always do - take the best player on their board. They haven't strayed from it in a long time.

That being said, I'm really hoping that the best player on the board falls in one of the following spots:

LB - The only missing piece to this defense is a young, athletic guy that can do it all - blitz, cover and hit.
DT - I don't want another Geno type, give me a big, fat pig that nobody can move off the line.
WR - Less of a need, but if any of our guys go down, we don't really have a great backup.
RB - Laugh all you want, but if Derrick Henry or Elliot were there, I'm pulling the trigger.
CB - Can never have enough of these guys.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2016, 12:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: This team will do what they always do - take the best player on their board.  They haven't strayed from it in a long time.

That being said, I'm really hoping that the best player on the board falls in one of the following spots:

LB - The only missing piece to this defense is a young, athletic guy that can do it all - blitz, cover and hit. I like Deion Jones from LSU - would love it if he's available in the 3rd - but I'd take him in the 2nd if I had to.
DT - I don't want another Geno type, give me a big, fat pig that nobody can move off the line.  Jarran Reed or Kenny Clark should be there and would fit the bill.  But I'd take Jonathan Allan first.
WR - Less of a need, but if any of our guys go down, we don't really have a great backup. This will depend on what's available, but I can't see us taking one in the first two picks
RB - Laugh all you want, but if Derrick Henry or Elliot were there, I'm pulling the trigger. I'm not laughing.  I love both of these guys and they can both block like a boss.  We won't though.  And Hill has the potential to get past his sophomore slump.  Gio did.
CB - Can never have enough of these guys.  True story.  We are likely to lose both Jones and Hall.  Though Lewis-Harris played well at the end of the year.
For me - other than the best player available - LB and DT are the biggest needs.  I like both Reed and Clark.  But if Allan is there I like him more because he can play very effectively inside or outside.  He is good against the run and the pass.  And there will be some other big bodies later in the draft.
Reply/Quote
I want a Center and a Safety before WR, RB, DT, or CB. With that said, BPA.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2016, 08:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Early thoughts:

Our own:
Iloka and Marvin Jones are the only must signs.

I think a team throws some money at V. Rey and Sanu.

I think Leon will be back after trying the market

FA:
I think we make another run at Fairley (Thompson and Sims walk)

I would love to see us go after Wisniewski

I would like to see us upgrade our "headache" (PacMan out, Harvin In)

Draft:

I see Edge rusher and CB

You nailed the ones that need re-signed and those that will likely be offered a reasonable deal to return.  However, there is no way I part with Adam Jones.  "Headache" or not, he is the best CB on this team and it isn't even close.  I agree that position will be addressed in the draft for depth, and perhaps Hall is offered a reasonable veteran deal that would provide veteran depth at slot corner, but I really liked what I saw out of Josh Shaw.  

I was pleading for it last season (and didn't get it) and I will be pleading for it again this year:  A vertical threat at WR that would take the proverbial top off the defense and allow Marvin and AJ to work underneath.  This offense STILL needs a replacement for Chris Henry and I will be hoping for that in the first or second round.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 10:01 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You nailed the ones that need re-signed and those that will likely be offered a reasonable deal to return.  However, there is no way I part with Adam Jones.  "Headache" or not, he is the best CB on this team and it isn't even close.  I agree that position will be addressed in the draft for depth, and perhaps Hall is offered a reasonable veteran deal that would provide veteran depth at slot corner, but I really liked what I saw out of Josh Shaw.  

I was pleading for it last season (and didn't get it) and I will be pleading for it again this year:  A vertical threat at WR that would take the proverbial top off the defense and allow Marvin and AJ to work underneath.  This offense STILL needs a replacement for Chris Henry and I will be hoping for that in the first or second round.  

James Wright
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Anymore questions?

Pacman's a hothead no question.   But I'd still keep him.  I love his heart, he's a great corner and he brings a good edge to the defensive game.

To me it's worth his escalations.   His emotional failure should not have cost us the game.   One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen.  Never should have come down to that call in the first place.  Bengals looked stupid to everyone, but upon further review the crux of the matter lay squarely with the refs' failure to control the game with better calls and keeping the Steeler staff off the field.

He's considered a dirty player - and I will say the Cooper play gives serious credence to that.  But his play is not dirty, he is just a hot head that can't control his temper.

I'd way take him over Harvin.   Harvin's a cancer.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2016, 03:41 PM)3wt Wrote: Pacman's a hothead no question.   But I'd still keep him.  I love his heart, he's a great corner and he brings a good edge to the defensive game.

To me it's worth his escalations.   His emotional failure should not have cost us the game.   One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen.  Never should have come down to that call in the first place.  Bengals looked stupid to everyone, but upon further review the crux of the matter lay squarely with the refs' failure to control the game with better calls and keeping the Steeler staff off the field.

He's considered a dirty player - and I will say the Cooper play gives serious credence to that.  But his play is not dirty, he is just a hot head that can't control his temper.

I'd way take him over Harvin.   Harvin's a cancer.

Pacman played great this year and should get a contract.  It took us a long time to get him playing at this level and now people want to have another team reap those rewards ?  

As for the topic of this thread.  Here are some moves I would make

Keep:
Adam Jones, Iloka, Jones, Nelson, and Sanu(depending on his contract)

Free Agency:  

Nick Fairly - played well this year on a 1 year contract and we showed interest in him last year.  Right now he's signed to a  5 million dollar contract.  Give him 5.5 on a 3 year and plug him in next to Atkins.

Mark Barron - Another former ram.  Barron played much better at linebacker and it has given his career a second chance.  I like his natural ability and we could get him for the same price at rey or lamur with more upside.  He's a young guy and pair him with a drafted linebacker to help create depth at our weakest position.

honorable mentions:  There is a lot of studs in the draft this year, but i see us keeping at lot of our guys and not getting any of the big names.  I feel the weakest position in the draft is cornerback this year and i wouldn't mind going out and getting a jenkins or even a hated steeler like boykin to create depth.  We saw just how bad injuries plagued our secondary.

Draft:

Draft Needs: Center, OLB, WR, Safety, DT, DE

At this point its impossible to tell what kinds of moves we will make until we see how free agency pans out, but this draft just screams early line backer to me because of our need at the position.  Our team is truly blessed with a talented deep roster so it will be interesting to see how we build for the future.  I would like to see us take advantage of our depth and move up for key guys, but we will probably hold tight and take BPA at our picks.  One interesting Development would be if we can secure a trade for AJ McCarron and get some trade value out of him.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote