Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoff Clinching Scenarios
(12-19-2022, 07:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: AFC East divisional matchups remaining by week...

Week 17:
Dolphins @ Patriots

Week 18:
Jets @ Dolphins
Patriots @ Bills

Patriots, Dolphins, and/or Jets guaranteed to have at least 1 loss over the remaining games.
Whoever loses, the Bengals will be ahead of them due to tiebreakers or just better record.

I tried to put it in the simulator where the Patriots, Jets, and Dolphins all win as many games as they can, as well as the Chargers winning out and Bengals losing out, and there's no way the Bengals are unseated from the playoffs.
The Bengals will get a playoff wildcard spot, at minimum, due to the H2H rules.

If anyone can put in a scenario in http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine where the Bengals are eliminated from the playoffs, please let us know.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine/_/results/401437917~1~401437924~1~401437929~1~401437931~2~401437918~1~401437934~1~401437944~2~401437946~1~401437938~1~401437947~2~401437949~2~401437951~2~401437960~1~401437955~2
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 01:04 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: There is a chance that the Chiefs/Raiders game is over by the time that ours starts in week 18, but that’s no fun for your scenario.

I think that if we can host the Ravens by having them win, then I might rest my starters. I’d rather play Baltimore in the WC round than Miami or LA.

Nah…I take it back. If there is still ANY hope in the 1 seed, I’m playing for it.

Even if #1 is gone, I think we should also play for the #2 seed if we'll need to win to get it. I think there's a fairly big difference between being #2 or #3 this year.

Obviously the Bengals are in, and I think the stuff about resting starters will be moot personally. I think Week 18 will decide the division.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 05:23 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Even if #1 is gone, I think we should also play for the #2 seed if we'll need to win to get it. I think there's a fairly big difference between being #2 or #3 this year.

Obviously the Bengals are in, and I think the stuff about resting starters will be moot personally. I think Week 18 will decide the division.

It would be likely the difference between Buffalo coming to us and then going to KC vs us having to go to KC and then possibly Buffalo.
Reply/Quote
I would hate to see the Chargers in the wild card round. I don't like the matchup with Mike Williams and the Bengals corners.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:56 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It would be likely the difference between Buffalo coming to us and then going to KC vs us having to go to KC and then possibly Buffalo.

Yep, massive difference. #3 means going to Buffalo and KC, #2 means only visiting one of them. I don't fear either matchup, but winning both back to back is the toughest ask in the NFL right now. Other than playing us!
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 10:41 PM)GodFather Wrote: It's incredible. After being hammered with the Lewis era and players self destructing time and time gain its amazing to watch the resiliency with this current roster. Its a great time to be a Bengal fan...

Not to mention those journalistic jargons the staff manages to pull out of their hats.... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 07:56 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: It would be likely the difference between Buffalo coming to us and then going to KC vs us having to go to KC and then possibly Buffalo.

If Bengals can beat the Bills, it would potentially lock up the 2 seed (at least) due to the tiebreaker.
I don't have nearly as much worry playing KC in mid-to-late January as I would Buffalo.
That weather up there is atrocious.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
At one point, I actually thought the Bengals would have to go through New England or Buffalo in the playoffs as a wild card. Now, if the Bengals win on Christmas Eve, the Cheatriots may not even make it at all. My only concern for the Bengals over the next three games is how banged up they are. So without the chance to get #1 and already having clinched the division, yes put Brandon Allen and the second team in there for the game against Baltimore. They would have to beat N.E. and Buffalo to get to that situation though, NOT EASY.

Lots of interesting things could happen for the playoffs. Jacksonville could beat out Tennessee, which would make them the home wild card against possibly L.A. (should have stayed in San Diego) Chargers.

In the NFC, the Buccaneers will probably limp to the playoffs and get to host a wild card. It would be fun to see either the Lions or the Giants go in there and clean their clock.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 12:27 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: In the NFC, the Buccaneers will probably limp to the playoffs and get to host a wild card. It would be fun to see either the Lions or the Giants go in there and clean their clock.

It would be fun for me to see the Lions beat anyone in the playoffs (30 years and counting), let alone Brady, but odds are the Cowboys are the top wild card team.  Meh, Brady still gets a loss as he rides off into the sunset.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 06:28 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: You are missing the conference record. 

The below can still happen.

Regular             Conference
LA     11 - 6        8-4
MIA   10 - 7        8-4
NE     10 - 7        7-5
Jets    10 - 7       7 -5
Cincy 10 -7         6-6

Ah that confirms what I suspected. Conference record would usually be *after* head to head but in a multiway tie they must disregard head to head. Otherwise we have the tie breaker with the Jets and Miami in the above scenario. 

(12-19-2022, 04:57 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The only way head to head applies in a multi-way tie is if all the teams have played each other. If so, then the team with the best record in the combined games gets in. 

But since we have not played the Chargers, conference record would be first. And, of course, if we loose to the Pats (a must in a tie with them), we'd loose that head to head. 

OK that makes sense. 

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 07:29 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: It can't happen, because if we were to lose out there would be blood all over the floor of this board, even if I don't know how that would be physically possible.

Hilarious

Yeah, I could see us losing to the Bills with some of our essential guy's out in Trey and Hubbard but Ossai, Sample and Gunter 
looked pretty good to me against the Bucs. You never know with the injuries but even our backups play their asses off and don't
want to let the team down.

(12-19-2022, 07:48 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The odds of us not making the playoffs is very low.

Besides, I predicted that after we went 4 - 4 that we would go 8 - 1 down the stretch with a loss only to the Browns.

Of course, I hope we go 9 - 0.

That would be awesome, and it is entirely possible unlike us going 0-3 these last 3 games with the way Burrow and our Defense is
playing. Next man up on the Defense with Lou Dey. Our weapons are back besides Hurst, but Wilcox is playing well. If we run the 
Gap scheme the rest of the season we should be able to run the ball on these next 3 teams etc.

(12-19-2022, 10:41 PM)GodFather Wrote: It's incredible. After being hammered with the Lewis era and players self destructing time and time gain its amazing to watch the resiliency with this current roster. Its a great time to be a Bengal fan...

For sure, we aren't used to it, so it is even more refreshing for us. We are taking it one snap at a time trying to get that 1 seed.

Boyd says it and the team says so. 

(12-20-2022, 12:25 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Oh, all of that shit isn’t happening. The Bengals are in. It just isn’t official yet. Like others have said…now we have to look at the #1 seed. Bengals have to win out and hope that either the Seahawks, Broncos, or Raiders pull it off against KC.

ThumbsUp

(12-20-2022, 01:04 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: There is a chance that the Chiefs/Raiders game is over by the time that ours starts in week 18, but that’s no fun for your scenario.

I think that if we can host the Ravens by having them win, then I might rest my starters. I’d rather play Baltimore in the WC round than Miami or LA.

Nah…I take it back. If there is still ANY hope in the 1 seed, I’m playing for it.

Completely agree, if there is ANY hope, you go all out and play your starters who will get the rest during the Wild Card weekend anyways.
Reply/Quote
We win we’re in….period

Even if we lose, if Jax wins we are Locked in for a wildcard at the least.

This is gonna be a fun Saturday
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 01:18 PM)Housh Wrote: We win we’re in….period

Even if we lose, if Jax wins we are Locked in for a wildcard at the least.

This is gonna be a fun Saturday

Prefer the Jets make the playoffs than the Jags. Jags are more dangerous.  Mellow

Let's go JETS, Jets, Jets, Jets,
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 12:27 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: At one point, I actually thought the Bengals would have to go through New England or Buffalo in the playoffs as a wild card. Now, if the Bengals win on Christmas Eve, the Cheatriots may not even make it at all. My only concern for the Bengals over the next three games is how banged up they are. So without the chance to get #1 and already having clinched the division, yes put Brandon Allen and the second team in there for the game against Baltimore. They would have to beat N.E. and Buffalo to get to that situation though, NOT EASY.

Lots of interesting things could happen for the playoffs. Jacksonville could beat out Tennessee, which would make them the home wild card against possibly L.A. (should have stayed in San Diego) Chargers.

In the NFC, the Buccaneers will probably limp to the playoffs and get to host a wild card. It would be fun to see either the Lions or the Giants go in there and clean their clock.

High probability it will be Dallas vs NFC South survivor. 
Reply/Quote
The playoffs will be official tonight, ladies and gentlemen. The Jags are gonna beat the Jets.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Jags currently up 10-3 in the 2nd quarter!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2022, 11:10 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Jags currently up 10-3 in the 2nd quarter!

13-3 now
Looking like the Bengals might clinch tonight

Trevor Lawrence starting to look the part of a number 1 over all pick.
If they surround him with weapons and a decent line then he will be a great one. Very talented QB…
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2022, 01:49 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Prefer the Jets make the playoffs than the Jags. Jags are more dangerous.  Mellow

Let's go JETS, Jets, Jets, Jets,

Think i saw Trevor Lawrence was statistically the best QB the last couple weeks.

Jets do have a pass rush if they don’t have any injuries. Their Qb Siri’s major league screwed too so idk
-Housh
Reply/Quote
13-3 Jags at halftime.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
30 minutes from officially getting back to the playoffs
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote