Poll: Playoff Loss Or Top 5 Pick?
Playoff Loss
Top 5 Pick
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoff Loss or a Top 5 Pick?
Got the idea from another thread.

If you had to choose, today, would you rather have a season in which the Bungles make the playoffs but lose immediately (that's what they do, explaining that part was almost gilding the dead lily) or have a top 5 pick in the draft?

This may be a no-brainer for some, but I had to think about it.

We must assume, for the sake of this very stupid discussion, that we don't *know* we're going to lose in advance. Or, if we do, then we must also assume the top 5 pick in this scenario is injured and misses his entire first year. Both things are a given, but we have to clarify the terms.

I think I'd take the playoff berth. Seriously. If the team is good enough to make the playoffs, even in a very bad division, a couple of decent picks and one FA signing or two (yes, I know - remember, we're playing make believe) from being a serious contender.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 02:06 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Got the idea from another thread.

If you had to choose, today, would you rather have a season in which the Bungles make the playoffs but lose immediately (that's what they do, explaining that part was almost gilding the dead lily) or have a top 5 pick in the draft?

We must assume, for the sake of this very stupid discussion, that we don't *know* we're going to lose in advance. Or, if we do, then we must also assume the top 5 pick in this scenario is injured and misses his entire first year. Both things are a given, but we have to clarify the terms.

I think I'd take the playoff berth. Seriously. If the team is good enough to make the playoffs, even in a very bad division, a couple of decent picks and one FA signing or two (yes, I know - remember, we're playing make believe) from being a serious contender.

You need to make this into a poll if you can.  

I want Bengals to have top 3 pick in 2020 draft and change the culture of the team via new personnel, including some coaching changes.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 02:06 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Got the idea from another thread.

Make the playoffs, not doubt about it. There's no pride in losing.

No one fears playing the Bengals right now.

A friend of mine, who's a Ravens fan, and who was very disappointed when the Bengals knocked them out of the playoffs a couple of years ago, was laughing about how the Bengals are looking these days.

Reply/Quote
Easy.

Playoff berth.

Either way we need to fix the team.  If we make the playoffs that means we have some quality players.  If we get a top 5 pick that means we get one good player but we have a lot more holes.

Is a top five pick really that much better than a #20 pick?  I'd say there isn't much difference.
Reply/Quote
Playoff birth. There's no fun in following a 3 win team and watching them get destroyed every week.

Atleast making the playoffs means you won 9-10 games and had some good moments.

As far as a Top 3 pick...we're not 1 player away.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is a top five pick really that much better than a #20 pick.  I'd say there isn't much difference.

Over last ten drafts ('09-'18) among the players taken in the top 5 there have been 30 Pro Bowlers and 11 All Pros.  IN the same period of time there have been 31 Pro Bowlers and 12 All Pros drafted 20 or later (picks of playoff teams).
Reply/Quote
Top 5 pick.

Losing in the first round of the playoffs is the perfect way to continue a failed regime for another year in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:34 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: You need to make this into a poll if you can.  

I want Bengals to have top 3 pick in 2020 draft and change the culture of the team via new personnel, including some coaching changes.  

BOOM. Roasted.

Maybe not roasted. But there is a poll now.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 04:01 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Top 5 pick.

Losing in the first round of the playoffs is the perfect way to continue a failed regime for another year in Cincinnati.

I feel like making the playoffs is improvement when you haven't made them for 3 years.

Plus, there is no league rule where you have to actually lose a game.
Reply/Quote
Depends. If its playoff loss but we beat the Steelers and the browns I pick that option. Cant stand losing to them.I also cant stand tanking in professional sports, but that shiny #1 draft slot sure is appealing...
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over last ten drafts ('09-'18) among the players taken in the top 5 there have been 30 Pro Bowlers and 11 All Pros.  IN the same period of time there have been 31 Pro Bowlers and 12 All Pros drafted 20 or later (picks of playoff teams).

So there is a huge difference 
Reply/Quote
On one hand, if you are NOT going to make it to the superbowl, you want a top 5 pick.

On the other hand, a playoff loss indicates your team is only a few players away from winning it all.

I'd rather witness a playoff loss, means you are closer. Teams rarely go from worst to first in this league.
Reply/Quote
From where we are right now with the amount of talent, or lack thereof, on this team?

Playoff loss every time. :andy:
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote