Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reiff and Spain injury updates
(01-03-2022, 06:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh that’s great that they are playing Saturday. Didn’t know that. If they do lose then you have to go all out. Titans are better than the Texans, but the Texans already beat them once.

This is what excites me. Any given Sunday. Everything we do depends on the KC game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 08:11 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Just curious, what names are going to be out there in this off-season outside of Shereff?

At a quick glance and this is all still subject to tags and that fun...

Brandon Scherff - WAS - G
Terron Armstead - NO - T
Orlando Brown Jr - KC - T
Ryan Jenson - TB - C
Cam Robinson - JAX - T

After the top tier you have guys that have come back from injury or improved their stock like:

Charles Leno Jr - WFT - T
Laken Tomnlinson - SF - G 
Eric Fisher - IND - T
Morgan Moses - NYJ - T
James Daniels - CHI - G (wanted him over Price years back)
Austin Corbett - LAR - G

And a couple vets that might be interesting but you worry about age a little.

Duane Brown - SEA - T - 36
Jason Kelce - PHI - C - 34

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Reiff is out for the year on IR isn't he?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 06:48 PM)pally Wrote: Reiff is out...maybe there is a shot if they go deep in the playoffs but don't count on it

Spain has a sprained ankle.  He will be out this weekend but should be back after that

That is close to what ZT said, but a bit off. I did not get that Spain would be back for the WC. 

He said Spain had sprained ankle. ZT anticipated that Spain would not be ready to play this weekend and "hopefully it wouldn't be much longer after that." 

Your take is a bit rosier than mine.  Sounded like they are hoping he can play by the WC round but he didn't seem too sure to me. He did sound confident it was not super serious, however. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 07:31 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This team has to address this in the offseason. 

Can't sit in the draft and toss a few later selections at it and wait/hope for them to develop. Spent 3 picks this season and so far have zero return on that investment. Drafting guys next year means waiting for them to develop, have to spend the money in FA, there isn't a plug and play OL in the draft where the Bengals will be picking.

Agree and almost think the best avenue for Bengals would be to grab a two PROVEN quality O-linemen in FA to mix in with what Bengals already have presently.  3 if Reiff or Spain leave. 

Then spend all the early picks on defense with some later round gambles on O-line as competition and depth.  

In other words, fix O-line, make defense elite, win multiple rings.  

They're not very far off from becoming elite and thinking fixing O-line is all that is required. Yet think Bengals can fix O-line and still add pieces to the defense at same time with cap space available and thinking some studs may want to come block for a QB like Joe as well.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 08:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: That is close to what ZT said, but a bit off. I did not get that Spain would be back for the WC. 

He said Spain had sprained ankle. ZT anticipated that Spain would not be ready to play this weekend and "hopefully it wouldn't be much longer after that." 

Your take is a bit rosier than mine.  Sounded like they are hoping he can play by the WC round but he didn't seem too sure to me. He did sound confident it was not super serious, however. 

Rest Spain this week and for the WC game, you give him that horse tranquilizer they shoot Rodgers up with at the half for his toe.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 08:05 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Why are we worried about "breaking the bank"?  Break that ***** while we still got Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Logan on rookie deals.

Agree, need to strike while the iron is hot.

Studs on Rookie deals are a big time luxury in the NFL these days the way it's structured. The next two years the Bengals will have this luxury and should take advantage of it.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 08:58 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Rest Spain this week and for the WC game, you give him that horse tranquilizer they shoot Rodgers up with at the half for his toe.

Something tells me he will go for the WC game.  Dude wasn't even a starter beginning of the year last year on Buffalo.  If he can tape it up and shoot a painkiller he will.  He ain't gonna miss a chance to play in the playoffs.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 09:03 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Something tells me he will go for the WC game.  Dude wasn't even a starter beginning of the year last year on Buffalo.  If he can tape it up and shoot a painkiller he will.  He ain't gonna miss a chance to play in the playoffs.

????

He started 2 of the 4 games he played in Buffalo last year...

... and all 16 games for the Bills the prior season.

Overall he started 66 of the 70 career games he played before he joined the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 09:11 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: ????

He started 2 of the 4 games he played in Buffalo last year...

... and all 16 games for the Bills the prior season.

Overall he started 66 of the 70 career games he played before he joined the Bengals.

Well damn I stand corrected I knew he was a starter at one point.  I assumed since he came to the Bengals with such a chip on his shoulder he wasn't starting all year.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
If I were Zac Taylor,in the offseason,I wouldn’t want to hear a word out of anyone’s mouth about getting a LB,CB,Edge Rusher,or whatever until they address the OL in free agency.Not the draft,but high quality FRee agent pro bowl OL.And that wouldn’t be just one,but two O-linemen.I’d also be willing to trade the first round pick to lure one of them in.Top 5 OL,You go from a playoff caliber team,to a Super Bowl caliber team.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 09:21 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: If I were Zac Taylor,in the offseason,I wouldn’t want to hear a word out of anyone’s mouth about getting a LB,CB,Edge Rusher,or whatever until they address the OL in free agency.Not the draft,but high quality FRee agent pro bowl OL.And that wouldn’t be just one,but two O-linemen.I’d also be willing to trade the first round pick to lure one of them in.Top 5 OL,You go from a playoff caliber team,to a Super Bowl caliber team.

You can't just make up a player. If you're going to make a statement like that, you have to name these pro bowl O-Linemen who will be available for them to sign.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals spent three picks on OL and all three have flashed real ability but all are REALLY green and need coaching up and seasoning. They gambled a bit on the veterans holding the fort but the XSF injury, Hopkins slow recovery and then Reiff's injury messed that up. Also, not resigning Gio bit them hard as we have a ridiculous sack number off of backs and TEs missing blocks (I think at last count it was 9?). And finally Burrow causes some of these sacks himself because he hangs on to the ball trying to let big plays develop - I am starting to think the increased sacks is just part of the exchange for Burrow's big play ability.

And one other factor - we've faced pretty much a who's who of the top pass rushers in the NFL this season.

They REALLY need vets for RG and C and if Reiff is not coming back RT. They also need to spend real time with the backs and TEs coaching on correct blocking technique. And of course we need the kids to develop more. Trying to completely turn over the Offensive Line room plus a new line coach was going to have a transition period - alas the injuries to vets forced the kids in before they were ready.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 09:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: The Bengals spent three picks on OL and all three have flashed real ability but all are REALLY green and need coaching up and seasoning. They gambled a bit on the veterans holding the fort but the XSF injury, Hopkins slow recovery and then Reiff's injury messed that up. Also, not resigning Gio bit them hard as we have a ridiculous sack number off of backs and TEs missing blocks (I think at last count it was 9?). And finally Burrow causes some of these sacks himself because he hangs on to the ball trying to let big plays develop - I am starting to think the increased sacks is just part of the exchange for Burrow's big play ability.

And one other factor - we've faced pretty much a who's who of the top pass rushers in the NFL this season.

They REALLY need vets for RG and C and if Reiff is not coming back RT. They also need to spend real time with the backs and TEs coaching on correct blocking technique. And of course we need the kids to develop more. Trying to completely turn over the Offensive Line room plus a new line coach was going to have a transition period - alas the injuries to vets forced the kids in before they were ready.

With the way Reiff talked about Burrow, he will be back
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 11:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: With the way Reiff talked about Burrow, he will be back

Ill happily take Reiff back but he's on the wrong side of 30 i'd love to see us use our first rounder (hell trade up if you need to) on his replacement.  If his replacement is ready to roll day 1 kick Reiff inside to RG maybe?  Id love to see us sign Jason Kelce if he is available, if not sign the best C we can in FA and bring back Spain to hold down LG.  I could mess with this OL and it's really not difficult to achieve.  

Our new OL would be:

Jonah-Spain-Kelce*-Reiff/Carman-Reiff/1st round RT if he's ready

*or best available FA

This above OL would rely pretty heavily on Carman to develop in the off-season.  Which I think he can, hes only 21.  Could also see D'Ante Smith developing and pushing for starting RG.  

This would also give us Hopkins and Adeniji (and possibly Reiff if RT works out and Carman develops) as reliable backups who we know can at least play.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2022, 06:46 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1478090174856941572?s=20

In case anyone needs a wake-up call to how important Spain is watch this play.  Jesus looks almost identical to the play against Washington last year...

That is scary.  I remember seeing that live and thinking Joe barely got his left leg off the ground before Carman got blasted into the turf.
Reply/Quote