Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoffs???
Marvin is retiring as head coach at the end of the season. That's coming from a friend who is an employee of the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:45 AM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Someone fire up the Jim Mora meme (i'm compute illiterate or would do it myself)!

......ask, and ye shall receive......

[Image: SinfulReasonableHyracotherium-max-1mb.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 11:09 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: See I think sneaking into the playoffs could mean they retain Marvin for 2 years.

Give Lazor a fill year. Draft a couple lineman.

It could be worst case scenario.

Nah I think marvin is done. This is why he brought up the deal to hand it over to Hue two years ago. I think this was always going to be his last year.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 01:31 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Marvin is retiring as head coach at the end of the season. That's coming from a friend who is an employee of the team.

That sucks, because like Donald Trump, I'd rather hear someone say "Get that son of a ***** off the field!!!! He's fired!!!!"
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2017, 09:56 PM)Steve Wrote: 4 of  our last 6 games are at home....
only have 2 hard games....
pitt & vikes....
so we should squeak into the playoffs.....
PLAYOFFS...!!??!!!!!!!
PLAYOFFS...!!!!!??!!!
Bengals started 0-3, then made it to 2-3 getting everybody's hopes up. 

Bengals went to 2-4 but made it to 3-4 getting everybody's hopes up. 

Bengals went to 3-6 but now at 4-6.  People assuming a win over Browns and to 5-6 getting everybody's hopes up. 

Anybody starting to see a pattern to the 2017 Bengals. ....A team that has never been at or above .500 and yet the third time fans talking play-offs and even play-off wins.

Sure, what the heck, I would take 6 play-offs in last 7 years and 7 out of last 8.  Looks like an automatic one and done, but I would take backing into play-offs.  I would hold off on sending in for play-off tickets at 4-6 on the season.  

Now IF they beat Steelers and get to 6-6, then they can beat anybody.  Something has happened. Maybe they put a different team in our uniforms.  Maybe they spiked their Gatoraid with performance enhancing chemicals. If they beat the Steelers and get to 6-6, then celebrate that win and start drinking the Kool Aid.  

If they lose to Steelers after a win over Browns they are at 5-7 on the season, and no reason to be pounding down the Kool Aid.   A 5-7 team is going to find Lions and Vikings and Bears, Oh My, hard enough and Ravens hard enough.  Now if they beat Steelers this team must have ate it's Wheaties and Popeye Spinach and turned into Superman and then anything is possible. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: marvin-lewis-got-trucked-by-dre-kirkpatr...=640&h=352]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 06:41 AM)JB Bengal Wrote: Not. At. All.  Marv would be given a contract extension...

he would definitely deserve it wouldn't you say?  a coach that can take a mess and get wins is a GOOD coach you wanna keep
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: he would definitely deserve it wouldn't you say?  a coach that can take a mess and get wins is a GOOD coach you wanna keep

I would love to see a playoff win and would certainly give him credit for getting a season turned around - but would winning a single playoff game after 15 years and 8 opportunities really qualify as 'this guy's a keeper' ?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 05:04 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I would love to see a playoff win and would certainly give him credit for getting a season turned around - but would winning a single playoff game after 15 years and 8 opportunities really qualify as 'this guy's a keeper' ?  Mellow

The only thing that would keep him from being a keeper is all the other teams throwing money at him to be their coach.  As best as I can tell, winning a  playoff game is very rare.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I can definitely see the Bengals making the playoffs this year. They just went into Denver and won, and they were Super Bowl champs just a few years ago. They're on a roll. I see them ending up at 10-6 and getting a Wild Card.
Reply/Quote
About the only situation comparable to our situation championship wise. Would be the Peyton Manning led Colts team that was last in the league stopping the run. That was their fatal flaw. Like our run blocking we have somewhat stabilized pass blocking. They had Bob Sanders returning to shore up their run defense we have nobody returning to stabilize our weakness.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 07:19 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: We have no shot at making the playoffs. This team will get obliterated by Vikings and Steelers.

even if we lose those two games....we win the other 4 we can get the last playoff spot....
it's very possible...
4 of our last 6 games are at home...

i'm just sayin....
"we got a chance".....
Reply/Quote
That we're still in the playoff hunt after 10 weeks with the severe issues this team has is nothing short of a miracle. This is the worst o-line and run game in Bengals history. Yet somehow we've been semi-competitive.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 01:45 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: ......ask, and ye shall receive......

[Image: SinfulReasonableHyracotherium-max-1mb.gif]

There it is! Never gets old
Reply/Quote
I keep seeing the hope and the talk of playoffs and I think to myself over and over, and then what happens?

The team backs into the playoffs because the rest of the AFC is falling apart or having a down year and then you get to play a good team like Jacksonville (who throttled the Bengals) or say the Chiefs at Arrowhead (who would destroy this O-line) or maybe a trip to New England (and Brady laughs as Burfict is ejected during the coin toss for not kneeling and kissing Brady's ass okay..on a serious note, Brady and Darth Hoodie would eat this team alive).

Playoffs with the faults on this team looks like a one and done again and playoffs might be enough to keep Marvin hanging around. No thanks. He wins a Super Bowl, he can have all the years he wants. No trophy, then get the hell out.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 01:53 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That we're still in the playoff hunt after 10 weeks with the severe issues this team has is nothing short of a miracle. This is the worst o-line and run game in Bengals history. Yet somehow we've been semi-competitive.

Amazing and if Zampese would have left earlier the Bengals would be even more in hunt.   

Just think if we would have kept a few players as well Whit, Zeitler, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Burkhead, Reggie Nelson and even Peko 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 02:17 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Amazing and if Zampese would have left earlier the Bengals would be even more in hunt.   

Just think if we would have kept a few players as well Whit, Zeitler, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Burkhead, Reggie Nelson and even Peko 

I agree with most everything with the exception of Peko and I am a huge fan of Peko.

He wasn't really fitting into the scheme of things here, but in Denver he is in a role that seems to be a better fit for him. He seems to be more productive this season so far than he had been the past few seasons with the Bengals. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 02:17 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Amazing and if Zampese would have left earlier the Bengals would be even more in hunt.   

I truly believe everything you mention is the difference between 11-5 and what we're seeing now.

Obviously, keeping all of those players wasn't feasible, but we could've kept 1-2 of them. Or just used free agency for once, rather than hoarding $15+ million for nothing.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
We control our own destiny, and could use some help. Thankfully, most of the teams in our way are fumbling the opportunity as much as we are.

Unfortunately, even as bad as the Browns are, I don't want to guarantee a victory over them. Nothing is a guarantee in the NFL and the Browns game is rivalry that can't be decided or dictated by stats.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2017, 04:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: he would definitely deserve it wouldn't you say?  a coach that can take a mess and get wins is a GOOD coach you wanna keep

We've seen this show for the last 15 years.  I'm greatly appreciative of Marvin's efforts to get us out of the cellar and into respectability, but he's proven he can't take us to the next level (playoff success).  It's beyond time to move on.

I'm sad that we didn't fire him after the 2015 playoff meltdown.  We had the talent to make a serious run, but now the core is aging and we've lost talent.  I think our window is swiftly closing if it hasn't already...TBS, I do like several of the rookies this year, so I still have hope moving forward.

Tried to quote multiple - didn't work.  Still working out the newbie kinks...
Reply/Quote