Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoffs Mock
Note that by my estimates, the following should all be able to fit within next year's projected cap.
Also, I have added two 4th-round comp picks, one the Bengals are expected to get for Carl Lawson and the other that is rumored to come from John Ross.

2022 NFL FA and Draft:
Estimated cap - $60 mill
Release Xavier Su'a-Filo +$3 mill = $63 mill
Release Trae Waynes +$11 mill = $74 mill

Re-sign:
Quinton Spain
CJ Uzomah
BJ Hill
Eli Apple

FA:
De'Vondre Campbell, LB GB
- As much as I was hopeful for Germaine Pratt, he's just not where I'd hoped he'd be through his 3rd season. The Bengals could use an upgrade at LB to pair with Wilson, and I think Campbell is a great fit.

Brian Allen, C LAR - Allen has come on well for the Rams (5th best C on PFF), but he's not expected to command $10+ mill per year. He's projected to get around $7-8 mill. He grew up in IL and played college at MSU, so he's used to the midwest and playing outdoors. Another great thing - he's only 26!

Morgan Moses, RT NYJ - Improvement over Reiff. He's a couple years younger (will be 31 vs Reiff's 33) and also (somewhat) better both as a pass blocker and run blocker. Not as athletic as Reiff but very big and great length. One other big thing he has over Reiff is being able to stay healthy and consistent. Moses can be a good stopgap while a young guy develops behind. If the team chooses to instead re-sign Reiff, that's ok too, but I wouldn't give Reiff $10+ mill APY, which I think he'll be seeking since he can also play LT.
With Allen and Moses, the starting OL is set. The Bengals can keep Hopkins for his remaining year and use him either as the starting RG or first IOL off the bench for any interior spot.

Draft:
1) Daxton Hill, DB Michigan (6'0", 192 lb)
- The epitome of a true FS. Hill can cover with the best of them. He's so good in coverage that he can even play some CB. Even though he's lighter than 200 lbs (which is Bates' size), he is a good, aggressive tackler and attacks in the run game too. Hill comes in as the immediate replacement for Bates, who departs in FA due to getting more money elsewhere.

2) Jaxson Kirkland, OT Washington (6'7", 310 lb) - Long, athletic OT who could use a NFL strength regimen to reach his potential. Not the kind of guy who would succeed in a power scheme that requires driving off the LOS, but he should fit well in a wide zone. Very sound in pass protection. He'd get the opportunity to act as a swing OT for a year or two due to veterans being in front of him, then he can (hopefully) take over at RT once he's refined. Kirkland also has experience playing OG, so he could play there immediately if wanting an upgrade inside.

3) Coby Bryant, CB UC (6'2", 185 lb) - I think that the Bengals will try to retain Apple because of how he's improved over the season, but the Bengals need more CBs, especially after likely letting Waynes go. Bryant can be that understudy to Chido and Apple, eventually growing into a starter outside.

4) Zachary Carter, DL Florida (6'4", 285 lb) - Versatile pass rusher who has played all across the DL. The Bengals can use Carter as a rotational pass rusher initially while they figure out his role long-term. I'd personally look to add some bulk on him and turn him into a menacing 3T. Some think he could go as early as Rd 3, but I think he could slip because some teams will see him as a tweener.

4comp1) Khalil Shakir, WR/RS Boise St (6'0", 187 lb) - A versatile guy who can replace Tate as the WR4. He has enough size to play outside, but he can also play slot. Also has some experience doing both PRs and KRs. While he may not light up the 40, he is a very good route runner with good hands and good at getting YAC.

4comp2) Jake Ferguson, TE Wisconsin (6'5", 244 lb) - Well-rounded TE who can block but also underrated as a pass catcher. Across 4 seasons in Wisconsin's run-heavy scheme, Ferguson put up 1618 yards and 13 TDs on 145 receptions (11.2 YPR). I see him similar to Uzomah or someone like Dalton Schultz and an improvement in the passing game over Sample.

5) Leddie Brown, RB WVU (5'11", 215 lb) - RB who can run and catch, putting up multiple seasons with 1000+ rushing yards and 30+ receptions. He's also been good as a pass blocker this past year according to PFF, one of the better ones in the class.

6) Smoke Monday, Safety Auburn (6'3", 200 lb) - Productive college safety who can be the new backup FS behind Hill. Has the size and speed to cover TEs.

7) Chris Owens, IOL Alabama (6'3", 305 lb)
- Honestly just picked this guy because the team can always use more OL depth and he's played on a championship-caliber team. He has experience at multiple positions and could compete for a backup role, but he's probably never going to be a starter. I don't really care who the Bengals pick this late, the player likely isn't making the team anyway.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great work as always. Love the free agent signings you have. Not as up to date on draft picks yet so can’t really argue for or against. Like the 2 and 3rd rounders though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:21 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Great work as always.  Love the free agent signings you have.  Not as up to date on draft picks yet so can’t really argue for or against.  Like the 2 and 3rd rounders though

I had a hard time with the Day 3 picks, personally lol.
Most sites now only do a Top 100 prospects list, at least until after the Senior Bowl.

Some may say Daxton Hill is somewhat of a reach because of some sites having him in the mid-to-late 30's.
I think he ends up going in the 20's after he performs at the Combine.
Dude has previously ran a 4.3. I think he gets that (or low 4.4's) in predraft workouts to bump his stock.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 03:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: 6) Smoke Monday, Safety Auburn (6'3", 200 lb) - Productive college safety who can be the new backup FS behind Hill. Has the size and speed to cover TEs.

Should I appreciate your awesome analysis or call bs because surely a dude isn't really named Smoke Monday? You had to sneak this one here to see if people were paying attention, right?  LMAO I totally want this guy on the team.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:34 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Should I appreciate your awesome analysis or call bs because surely a dude isn't really named Smoke Monday? You had to sneak this one here to see if people were paying attention, right?  LMAO  I totally want this guy on the team.

He's real, not a Pinocchio lol.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/smoke-monday-1.html
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
In typical me fashion, I've already made some modifications for my next mock lol.
I will wait to post that until after we find out where the Bengals draft.
Hopefully that won't be until Feb!
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:21 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Great work as always.  Love the free agent signings you have.  Not as up to date on draft picks yet so can’t really argue for or against.  Like the 2 and 3rd rounders though

Nice work and I like the CB in RD 3. 
2 things: I have to ask:  Is Jaxon Kirkland from Washington rekated to the Costco brand? 
and "Smoke Monday" ? if nothing else: I luv that name 
Reply/Quote
Love the Coby pick, of course Big Grin
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
TheDraftNetwork compared Daxton Hill to longtime Patriot DB Devin McCourty.
McCourty has been with the Patriots for 12 seasons now.
102 PBUs, 31 INTs, 900 tackles through 188 games.

I'd take a career like that with a Bengals FS for sure.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If you're going to run let Jessie Bates walk and continue to run Cover 1 then Daxton Hill is the guy to draft.

I'm not a Jaxson Kirkland fan. I mostly like my offensive linemen with a finisher mentality a little mean and Kirkland is not that guy. Very talented though.

I'm wondering if the Bengals continue to add corners in FA but Coby Bryant late in the 3rd is a steal.

I wanna talk some Leddie Brown lol. He has a little Nick Chubb in his not a guy that's gonna break away with speed but power and balance makes it so tough to being him down. He would fit alot better in the Bengals scheme than he did in WVUs. His biggest issue was that he was to patient in a scheme that wants you to hit the hole fast inside.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 05:25 PM)Synric Wrote: If you're going to run let Jessie Bates walk and continue to run Cover 1 then Daxton Hill is the guy to draft.

I'm not a Jaxson Kirkland fan. I mostly like my offensive linemen with a finisher mentality a little mean and Kirkland is not that guy. Very talented though.

I'm wondering if the Bengals continue to add corners in FA but Coby Bryant late in the 3rd is a steal.

I wanna talk some Leddie Brown lol. He has a little Nick Chubb in his not a guy that's gonna break away with speed but power and balance makes it so tough to being him down. He would fit alot better in the Bengals scheme than he did in WVUs. His biggest issue was that he was to patient in a scheme that wants you to hit the hole fast inside.

Yea, that's definitely something, but the Bengals have multiple guys who aren't "nasty" already.
Carman might be the only guy I'd consider as that kind of player, but he's too inconsistent right now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I would be disappointed if the front office let go Jessie Bates for nothing. A Tag and Trade would be better if they let Jessie go. Also think they would go with a CB before Safety in the draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 08:17 PM)J24 Wrote: I would be disappointed if the front office let go Jessie Bates for nothing. A Tag and Trade would be better if they let Jessie go. Also think they would go with a CB before Safety in the draft.

I think "nothing" is a bit extreme.
I think it needs to be viewed as using that saved cap space to go toward another player (or players).
Also, if Bates leaves, he's almost assuredly going to yield a 3rd round comp pick if the Bengals don't bring enough outside FAs to even out the number of players they lose.
Where the Bengals are set to pick this upcoming draft is going to be great for a DB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 08:17 PM)J24 Wrote: I would be disappointed if the front office let go Jessie Bates for nothing. A Tag and Trade would be better if they let Jessie go. Also think they would go with a CB before Safety in the draft.

Tag and trades almost never happen.  I would use the tag on Bates since he played so well last year and fell off this year.

I'm also not sure that we are going to be getting more than one comp pick this year.  We signed a bunch of guys that will offset the losses that we had.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 05:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Tag and trades almost never happen.  I would use the tag on Bates since he played so well last year and fell off this year.

I'm also not sure that we are going to be getting more than one comp pick this year.  We signed a bunch of guys that will offset the losses that we had.

Bengals are expected to get one for Carl Lawson, might get one for John Ross. John Ross one is dependent on if NFL feels he contributed enough and got a big enough salary to justify one. The rumors are that he should.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 05:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Tag and trades almost never happen.  I would use the tag on Bates since he played so well last year and fell off this year.

It's been done five times since 2018 Landry to the Browns, Clowney to the Seahawks, Dee Ford to 49ers, Frank  Clark to the chiefs, and Ngakoue to the Vikings.
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 05:49 PM)J24 Wrote: It's been done five times since 2018 Landry to the Browns, Clowney to the Seahawks, Dee Ford to 49ers, Frank  Clark to the chiefs, and Ngakoue to the Vikings.

Bengals don't restructure contracts to free up cap in a season...do we expect them to actually do a tag-and-trade?
I wouldn't.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 06:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals don't restructure contracts to free up cap in a season...do we expect them to actually do a tag-and-trade?
I wouldn't.

Well the Bengals didn't have a ring of honor and they didn't sign any major free agents in the past. Both of those things have changed over the past two off seasons.
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 06:39 PM)J24 Wrote: Well the Bengals didn't have a ring of honor and they didn't sign any major free agents in the past. Both of those things have changed over the past two off seasons.

Yep, but as I always say, "I'll believe it when I see it."
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I also don't think there's any way we pay huge money for Campbell. There's no way he's cheap after making first team All-Pro.
Reply/Quote