Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please FIRE Duke Tobin
(02-09-2020, 09:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And replace him with who? One of Troy Blackburn’s cousins?

There’s always the Mel Kyper, and Mike will still pay himself a GM salary.
https://youtu.be/TJnczoM7ou8
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
That draft is a direct result of having such a limited scouting department.

The sad thing is that they just as easily could pick up a few of the draft magazines and follow the big boards and positional rankings in them and do a much better job.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 03:10 PM)Okeana Wrote: you want to complain about free agency when it comes to ownership that's fine, but anyone who drafts consistently as bad as he does really has no excuses especially when you're essentially the guy that makes all the drafting decisions.  I literally could care less about any argument made otherwise after the Drew Sample pick last year.  Even if he didn't directly make that pick he should be fired for allowing it to happen and this is just one example of consistently bad drafts.  

I personally am not arguing that Tobin has done a fine job. I think we probably should look at replacing him. I'm just also pointing out that anyone in that position is hindered by Mike Brown, his tiny staff, his reluctance (understatement of the year) to use free agency, etc.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 02:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Tobin ain't great but he seems like the best option we are going to get as long as we have MB hogging the GM title, salary, and final say.

At any rate, taking Burrow will save their jobs for another decade or so.  Great pick. 

In your scenario then keep Marvin for another 16 years and never win a playoff game, cmon man

A homeless guy on Vine St could pick Burrow with the top pick, not much credit going to be given there
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 11:31 AM)corpjet Wrote: In your scenario then keep Marvin for another 16 years and never win a playoff game, cmon man

A homeless guy on Vine St could pick Burrow with the top pick, not much credit going to be given there

I'm just wondering if they don't pick Burrow will the majority of Bengal fans around the world heads explode?

Perhaps then Mike can take credit for putting some of them finally out of their misery.

Mike Brown the patron saint of bad football.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2020, 11:31 AM)corpjet Wrote: In your scenario then keep Marvin for another 16 years and never win a playoff game, cmon man

Again, I'm no huge Marvin Lewis fan but ZT so far seems like he's way worse than Marvin.  We are glad guys like Marvin and Hue are gone but we keep replacing them with bums like Zampese and ZT...so I guess it only makes sense to assume if Duke Tobin got fired then Troy Blackburn or no one or someone even worse would just take his place.

The only reason we are going to upgrade at QB over Dalton is because the draft is free and mandatory.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yea the whole front office gotta go
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 12:58 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Yea the whole front office gotta go

Lol the rest of the FO owns the team.

Reply/Quote
I agree. Fire him ASAP. Just absolutely horrible picks. Ogbuehi who I hated more than anyone on here. I still can’t believe after a horrible 5th year senior year giving up 8 sacks n being switched and then tearing ACL then drafted him number 1. Ross , Price , Sample , Wren, Fisher holy shit that’s bad.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 02:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lol the rest of the FO owns the team.

Yup.  The Browns haint killing the goose that lays the golden egg 
Reply/Quote
When you pick players that are injured in the first round that must sit out a year that is just like a miss. You expect that first round guy to start year 1.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 11:57 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: When you pick players that are injured in the first round that must sit out a year that is just like a miss. You expect that first round guy to start year 1.

There should be even more emphasis on this, considering the Bengals don't use free agency.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 02:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lol the rest of the FO owns the team.

Lol so frustrating
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 02:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There should be even more emphasis on this, considering the Bengals don't use free agency.

As much as I've traditionally agreed that someone being drafted in 1st round should be good enough to start in Year 1, this doesn't seem to be a priority with the Bengals.

They look to get a guy with big potential and fill with mid-tier vets to start until that draft pick is ready to take over.

As such, the Bengals very rarely ever go into a season where they feel they HAVE to start a rookie. The only times where I can recall it being an absolute necessity were Dalton, Bodine, and Price.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 03:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: As much as I've traditionally agreed that someone being drafted in 1st round should be good enough to start in Year 1, this doesn't seem to be a priority with the Bengals.

They look to get a guy with big potential and fill with mid-tier vets to start until that draft pick is ready to take over.

As such, the Bengals very rarely ever go into a season where they feel they HAVE to start a rookie. The only times where I can recall it being an absolute necessity were Dalton, Bodine, and Price.

We needed Jonah Williams last season.

We needed Billy Price in 2018.

We needed someone in 2017. Went 7-9 and had the 26th ranked offense.

We certainly could've used William Jackson (or someone else) in 2016.

Ogbuehi probably wasn't a bad idea in 2015, considering Whit's age and we didn't have many big weaknesses.

Newman = see Ogbuehi. Newman was ancient and we had a good team. It certainly wouldn't have hurt to have someone contributing though.

Eifert started every game in 2013, and I'd say it was necessary. The 2 TE concept was a huge part of the offense that year, and we jumped from 22nd in yards (2012) to 10th.

We needed Zeitler in 2012 and I'll excuse redshirting DreKirk, even though we had several needs.

---------------

Overall, this team just needs their top picks to contribute more than other teams due to our "no free agency" stance. I think you're looking at it from a perspective of "have we needed the players we drafted", which to me isn't really the point. For example, we didn't "need" John Ross, but I'm sure that awful team could've used someone.

When we were a playoff team, we didn't particularly need anything, but a dynamic rookie could've contributed or been an x-factor, ala Chris Perry in 2005.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 03:24 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I agree.  Fire him ASAP.   Just absolutely horrible picks.   Ogbuehi who I hated more than anyone on here.   I still can’t believe after a horrible 5th year senior year giving up 8 sacks n being switched and then tearing ACL then drafted him number 1.   Ross , Price , Sample , Wren, Fisher holy shit that’s bad.

Hit the nail on the head.  :andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote