Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PnR New Years Resolution
(01-02-2020, 02:15 PM)hollodero Wrote: Sure, many people do. I understand. Also, our economy is pretty much based on that fact, on that and on Red Bull.

In reality, I'm probably just bitter because I really suck at skiing.

Ah, well, skiing isn't something I've ever done or intend to try to do. Of course, the hunting and fishing I do in the mountains around here isn't as much of an option in Europe because of the way wildlife management takes place over there.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-02-2020, 03:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Ah, well, skiing isn't something I've ever done or intend to try to do.

That is very wise. There are cheaper ways to break a bone or ten.

(01-02-2020, 03:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Of course, the hunting and fishing I do in the mountains around here isn't as much of an option in Europe because of the way wildlife management takes place over there.

That's probably true. I sure have no issue with hunting, let alone you hunting, but in general I'm quite glad we don't allow Americans to shoot up our forest fauna.
Quite unrelated - may I ask what you do with the animals you hunt?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-02-2020, 03:59 PM)hollodero Wrote: That's probably true. I sure have no issue with hunting, let alone you hunting, but in general I'm quite glad we don't allow Americans to shoot up our forest fauna.

This gets into the weeds of wildlife management policies a lot, but what I am referring to is just the way we manage our resources is different than in Europe. We consider wildlife to be the property of the people as a collective whole and it is managed in trust by out game and fish agencies. This is the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. In Europe, for the most part, wildlife belongs to the property owner and the ideas behind its conservation is much different. Hunting is an important part of conservation efforts and maintaining healthy populations of wild animals on our continent.

You might be able to tell that this is a topic I am quite fond of. I'm big on public lands and waters here in the States.

(01-02-2020, 03:59 PM)hollodero Wrote: Quite unrelated - may I ask what you do with the animals you hunt?

I eat them. Mellow

I mean, in all seriousness I use as much of an animal as possible and I've never (intentionally) killed an animal I didn't intend to eat. I usually donate the hide depending on if anyone is looking for them (several museums in my area use them and a couple of local tribes will also collect them) as well as antlers I don't care about. Bones usually end up getting trashed after they get used for stock or what not. If I have more than I can use there is a program where we can donate game meat to help feed the less fortunate.

But I'll eat any type of meat. Not just deer, bear and turkey, but a lot of the animals people think of as nuisance species and just kill them to get rid of them can also be good eating.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-02-2020, 10:45 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Those guys being here less will make it better.  Hilarious

feels bad Tongue
(01-02-2020, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Hunting is an important part of conservation efforts and maintaining healthy populations of wild animals on our continent.

You might be able to tell that this is a topic I am quite fond of. I'm big on public lands and waters here in the States.

Yeah, I could tell that.
I just want to mention a detail, that our hunters sure also talk about conservation and controlled hunting a lot. We do hunt under that aspect too and our property owners usually also can't shoot as many animals as they please. But sure, I get what you say.

(01-02-2020, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I eat them. Mellow

I mean, in all seriousness I use as much of an animal as possible and I've never (intentionally) killed an animal I didn't intend to eat. I usually donate the hide depending on if anyone is looking for them (several museums in my area use them and a couple of local tribes will also collect them) as well as antlers I don't care about. Bones usually end up getting trashed after they get used for stock or what not. If I have more than I can use there is a program where we can donate game meat to help feed the less fortunate.

But I'll eat any type of meat. Not just deer, bear and turkey, but a lot of the animals people think of as nuisance species and just kill them to get rid of them can also be good eating.

Alright. I guess my question had a bit of a bad cultural background. Meaning, we probably still picture an American as someone shooting a thousand buffalos from a train just because yee-ha. Which certainly is the most unfair cliché. But I don't know, it always seems some rather just hunt for the thrill of it. Just wanted to be sure :)

Also, deer is delicious.
(01-02-2020, 05:41 PM)hollodero Wrote: Alright. I guess my question had a bit of a bad cultural background. Meaning, we probably still picture an American as someone shooting a thousand buffalos from a train just because yee-ha. Which certainly is the most unfair cliché. But I don't know, it always seems some rather just hunt for the thrill of it. Just wanted to be sure :)

Also, deer is delicious.

Well, the American bison massacres of the 19th century were done in the name of the railroads more than anything. But overhunting in the early days of this country brought us to the point where the wapiti, pronghorn, whitetail deer, and wild turkey were all on the brink of extinction as well. At the turn of the 20th century, all of these animals existed in only a tiny portion of the ranges they inhabited prior to the arrival of Europeans. However, thanks to the work of naturalists during that time (including Theodore Roosevelt) and the implementation of the NA model, we now have larger populations of whitetail and turkey than ever before. Wapiti have been reintroduced into many places (though now they are no longer the subspecies that used to be in these places). There are places where we actually run into the issue of not enough hunters to properly manage the numbers of deer and turkey.

Anyway, I'll stop the derailment of this thread with my wildlife conservation discussion, now. lol

(01-02-2020, 03:59 PM)hollodero Wrote: That is very wise. There are cheaper ways to break a bone or ten.

That's probably true. I sure have no issue with hunting, let alone you hunting, but in general I'm quite glad we don't allow Americans to shoot up our forest fauna.
Quite unrelated - may I ask what you do with the animals you hunt?

First of all, I don't care what you laws are, before I die I'm bagging a kangaroo.  (Never gets old does it? Hilarious)

And secondly, I must meet this Oberkatzlbrunner and his clan.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-02-2020, 03:59 PM)hollodero Wrote: That is very wise. There are cheaper ways to break a bone or ten.

There are very few recreational activities that I participate in that does not include beer, but skiing is one of them. Not a drop until the skis are put away; I seen too many accidents. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(01-02-2020, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I eat them. Mellow

I mean, in all seriousness I use as much of an animal as possible and I've never (intentionally) killed an animal I didn't intend to eat. 

A good policy to eat what you kill, but I don't mind killing a mole or a raccoon and not eating them. Or a spider. **** spiders.

Had a raccoon eating through shingles and insulation, made a big hole in the roof. Not sure that you'd want to cook a raccoon that was living off a diet of shingle and insulation. Lol

(01-02-2020, 06:24 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: However, thanks to the work of naturalists during that time (including Theodore Roosevelt) and the implementation of the NA model, we now have larger populations of whitetail and turkey than ever before.

There are places where we actually run into the issue of not enough hunters to properly manage the numbers of deer and turkey.

Definitely too many deer. 

I think some Cincinnati parks were seeing populations of like 100 deer per square mile, when the ideal sustainable number is like 15-20 per square mile.

Too many deer and they strip the vegetation clean during the summer/fall, leaving them nothing to eat in winter. I remember that drought we had in like... 2013-ish? They were eating everything. We had a tree sapling (like 6' tall) that we planted earlier that year and they ate the tree down to the stump.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]