Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PnR forum
This thread is not to discuss politics or religion, rather the approach we take in getting that forum started when the time comes. It is a popular forum and a must have for many of us.

One idea that's been kicked around is a post count rule before joining. I think this is a good idea but only after the site is established. For now, I propose allowing everyone access and moderating the forum. The more the merrier, right?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 11:35 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: This thread is not to discuss politics or religion, rather the approach we take in getting that forum started when the time comes. It is a popular forum and a must have for many of us.

One idea that's been kicked around is a post count rule before joining. I think this is a good idea but only after the site is established. For now, I propose allowing everyone access and moderating the forum. The more the merrier, right?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I would think that any forum dedicated to politics and religion would need to wait until we have a mod or 2. Otherwise, your idea sounds good in the short term.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Who should be the mods?

Whoever it is will be in for long hours and much heartache
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 11:41 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I would think that any forum dedicated to politics and religion would need to wait until we have a mod or 2.  Otherwise, your idea sounds good in the short term.

Of course. I'm not proposing opening a PnR forum today. Having mods is essential.

I've seen some chatter here and at the old site and figured we should discuss it here rather than there.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 11:47 AM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Who should be the mods?

That's something I believe is being worked out now. They may not be in place today or even tomorrow but I know 'holic is working diligently to get them in place.
Reply/Quote
I say allow people until they prove otherwise that they shouldn't. The main clientele here would be more 'experienced' former board users to start off anyways
Reply/Quote

It's actually not so bad, especially if we are talking about the same group of posters from the old site. Even though there won't be a post count rule up at first, most likely, many of the people that didn't post there before will likely give it a wide berth. We will get some trolls in there, but it won't be too bad.

You have to have a good feel for the forum to really moderate that sort of place. You want to give a little bit more leeway than some other places because it is just such a divisive situation you're involved in, but you have to know when to tighten the collar. Honestly, I think it is likely more work moderating Jungle Noise than the PnR group, especially once the post count rule is up.

All in all, the group from the other board knows where the line is for the most part, and I think that line should remain the same even though we are no longer officially affiliated with the Bengals. The mods over there gave us a long leash and it was up to us not to hang ourselves with it. Some came close, some did, but all in all it worked out pretty well.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 11:57 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's actually not so bad, especially if we are talking about the same group of posters from the old site. Even though there won't be a post count rule up at first, most likely, many of the people that didn't post there before will likely give it a wide berth. We will get some trolls in there, but it won't be too bad.

You have to have a good feel for the forum to really moderate that sort of place. You want to give a little bit more leeway than some other places because it is just such a divisive situation you're involved in, but you have to know when to tighten the collar. Honestly, I think it is likely more work moderating Jungle Noise than the PnR group, especially once the post count rule is up.

All in all, the group from the other board knows where the line is for the most part, and I think that line should remain the same even though we are no longer officially affiliated with the Bengals. The mods over there gave us a long leash and it was up to us not to hang ourselves with it. Some came close, some did, but all in all it worked out pretty well.

Spoken like a mod candidate as far as I'm concerned.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 12:00 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Spoken like a mod candidate as far as I'm concerned.

Word.
Reply/Quote
The rules/requirements of the PnR subforum at boards.bengals would be an excellent basis for whatever gets implemented here. Unfortunately I don't think that it is very viable because of the short lifetime (for now!) of this board. However, given that the vast majority of members that will be interested in discussing P&R topics have come from boards.bengals, the transition should go rather smoothly.

I have little to no idea on how the techy side of these forums works (one of a few reasons I won't throw my hat into the ring as a candidate for P&R moderator) but perhaps a requirement should be having already spent time in P&R on boards.bengals, and for now a rather low Rep threshold. I've seen that Holic can give +50 rep, and I doubt many others can boast the same. Having Holic boost the former members of boards.bengals P&R to whatever that threshold (probably indeed 50 to start) would at least get a start going, and at the same time keep obvious trolls (of which we already have one as far as I can tell) on the outside. Over time the thresholds can be modified as the forum grows in lifetime and size and membership, and we have a capable moderator in place.

Just an idea or two to consider.
Reply/Quote

I think that group on the other board pretty much reigned in themselves.

For the most part the people who were not civil were typically called out in a respectful way .

That's the only thing a mod needs in there.... Because that board thrives on different opinions.... So an active mod is not good for the discussion.

Basics of not swearing, being civil, not sure what else needs to happen.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 12:30 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: The rules/requirements of the PnR subforum at boards.bengals would be an excellent basis for whatever gets implemented here. Unfortunately I don't think that it is very viable because of the short lifetime (for now!) of this board. However, given that the vast majority of members that will be interested in discussing P&R topics have come from boards.bengals, the transition should go rather smoothly.

I have little to no idea on how the techy side of these forums works (one of a few reasons I won't throw my hat into the ring as a candidate for P&R moderator) but perhaps a requirement should be having already spent time in P&R on boards.bengals, and for now a rather low Rep threshold. I've seen that Holic can give +50 rep, and I doubt many others can boast the same. Having Holic boost the former members of boards.bengals P&R to whatever that threshold (probably indeed 50 to start) would at least get a start going, and at the same time keep obvious trolls (of which we already have one as far as I can tell) on the outside. Over time the thresholds can be modified as the forum grows in lifetime and size and membership, and we have a capable moderator in place.

Just an idea or two to consider.

Troll?
Where?
Someone summon the RRR!

This is obviously towards me :/
I'm heart broken.

If this is how you feel I want to apologize. This is a sincere apology. I do not wish to cause issues. I just want to be of the brotherhood of the forum lol! I will try to behave.

On the topic of the PnR forum, I'm looking for the day when it is released. Other than Denny my favorite topics to discuss are PnR. Seriously. No troll bro lol
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 01:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I think that group on the other board pretty much reigned in themselves.  

For the most part the people who were not civil were typically called out in a respectful way .  

That's the only thing a mod needs in there.... Because that board thrives on different opinions....  So an active mod is not good for the discussion.  

Basics of not swearing, being civil, not sure what else needs to happen.

The P&R forum was certainly mostly self-monitored and was (more often than not) kept under control. However, as evidenced by its predecessor, a mod is certainly necessary for the rare instances of blatant racism (I believe it appeared in images) and to reel it all in whenever it inevitably gets out of control every once in a while (something about pedophiles if I recall correctly) or when there are blatant personal attacks (which I believe led to the first shut down.)

I agree that a mod should rarely be heard from, and I agree with a sentiment brought forth by BFine32 that the moderator should refrain from very active posting. This is perhaps my only reservation of having Belsnickle as our moderator, as his contributions to P&R and the active debate were perhaps peerless in the run over at boards.bengals.com
Reply/Quote
It seems like anytime I've ever seen a politics and religion forum on a site, it tends to be full of insults, over the top arguments and constant fighting. OK, that sounded a little like Jungle Noise as well LOL...but you get my point.

I'm not familiar with how it was on the other board, but if it's something most want, and there's someone willing to volunteer as a mod for that, then it can added at some point soon.
Reply/Quote
Sweet BH.

Someone start a thread asking volunteers to mod a PnR forum. Let's see who is willing.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 02:39 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Sweet BH.

Someone start a thread asking volunteers to mod a PnR forum. Let's see who is willing.

Whoever you guys decide on, there should be a consensus by the members that will spend a lot of time there.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 02:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Whoever you guys decide on, there should be a consensus by the members that will spend a lot of time there.

Fo' sho'
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 02:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It seems like anytime I've ever seen a politics and religion forum on a site, it tends to be full of insults, over the top arguments and constant fighting. OK, that sounded a little like Jungle Noise as well LOL...but you get my point.

I'm not familiar with how it was on the other board, but if it's something most want, and there's someone willing to volunteer as a mod for that, then it can added at some point soon.

Many of the regulars did a fine job at keeping their posts within the Code of Conduct. Matt was respected universally and would be a fine candidate for the position of P&R moderator.

Some of us are a little too... umm.... passionate in our P&R fun so we wouldn't make the best moderators (in the sense that others would think we'd play favorites in disputes), though almost everyone who was a regular will toe the line when it comes to the code of conduct for P&R.

I'd open it up to suggestions in a thread and then narrow the candidates down for a vote. But Matt seems like everyone's #1 (if he accepts the job).
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 02:53 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Many of the regulars did a fine job at keeping their posts within the Code of Conduct. Matt was respected universally and would be a fine candidate for the position of P&R moderator.

Some of us are a little too... umm.... passionate in our P&R fun so we wouldn't make the best moderators (in the sense that others would think we'd play favorites in disputes), though almost everyone who was a regular will toe the line when it comes to the code of conduct for P&R.

I'd open it up to suggestions in a thread and then narrow the candidates down for a vote. But Matt seems like everyone's #1 (if he accepts the job).

I agree. Matt is definitely my top choice along with Benton.

I don't know how many we should choose. 2 seem best but just for one forum? I say two because if it's only one, then they wield a lil too much power alone. I suppose the number is up to BH... or a vote.
Reply/Quote
Everyone knows I should be a mod... Cool
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote