Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pocket Presence/New Offense
So we know our line is below average pass blocking to bad...and terrible run blocking. And we know we basically copied the Rams offense.

Well, watching Goff...he has a great pocket presence. When the rush comes, he does that think Brady and Manning do/did where they step up a few feet into the pocket which makes the defender miss the sack because of the angle. The Rams also roll Goff out on bootlegs some which changes where the pass rushers are going to.

I'm not seeing that in the Bengals offense.

Our offense seems to be faking a reverse on nearly every play, then either throwing a screen to a TE/RB or having a WR run a 5-7-10 yard route and turn around, or throwing deep, or running inside and getting stopped.

It seems very predictable.

You can copy the Rams playbook, but McVay has a feel for when to do these plays in games so they work. That seems to be missing here.

It's also honestly hard to win games if you can't run the ball.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 07:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we know our line is below average pass blocking to bad...and terrible run blocking. And we know we basically copied the Rams offense.

Well, watching Goff...he has a great pocket presence. When the rush comes, he does that think Brady and Manning do/did where they step up a few feet into the pocket which makes the defender miss the sack because of the angle. The Rams also roll Goff out on bootlegs some which changes where the pass rushers are going to.

I'm not seeing that in the Bengals offense.

Our offense seems to be faking a reverse on nearly every play, then either throwing a screen to a TE/RB or having a WR run a 5-7-10 yard route and turn around, or throwing deep, or running inside and getting stopped.

It seems very predictable.

You can copy the Rams playbook, but McVay has a feel for when to do these plays in games so they work. That seems to be missing here.

It's also honestly hard to win games if you can't run the ball.

To be fair to the new offense Dalton has never had good pocket awareness. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:00 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: To be fair to the new offense Dalton has never had good pocket awareness. 

Exactly. We're trying to duplicate the Rams success...except we have a bad Oline and a QB with not good pocket awareness.
Reply/Quote
At least we drafted Billy Price over Lamar Jackson
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: At least we drafted Billy Price over Lamar Jackson

You know IF Lamar Jackson was here, he's probably still on the bench and probably would have never developed the ability to throw.

It's futile. It's Sisiphus pushing the boulder up the mountain here.
Reply/Quote
It's pretty bad when Lapham is talking about throwing Sample in at tackle with the amount of people out. We need more draft picks on offensive lineman. With our top pick back next year--and one more draft focused on the oline after this season--we may have a chance at fielding a middle of the pack offensive line next year.

How can you win if you can't block? We can't run block or pass block. Just shows how important the offensive line is. If we would have kept Zietler, whom we picked in the first round and then let walk. Why pick him in the 1st if he's not a long-term player? Why let Whit walk? Poorly managed. But still, at least hit on some players in the draft. Hasn't happened yet. We've hit on a lot of skill players, but not much on the offensive line.

We'll struggle this year. Hopefully we see some players get healthy and we can catch fire with the playcalling. But realistically, there's no way we're a playoff team this year with this offensive line. They need to figure out what they have this year, and regroup for next year by building a good culture and trying to improve and coach these guys up, learn and grow as a team, and regroup next year.

From where we are now, I want to see glimpses of improvement from players along the offensive line, and throughout the team. I want to see creativity in the playcalling and scheming.

The first game we surprised Seattle maybe. This year San Fran used our tape against us and exposed our weaknesses. How will our coaching staff respond scheme-wise? Opponents have a leg up in scheming against us because of the oline problems. I want to see our coaching staff respond and our offensive line improve as the year goes on. But I'm not expecting playoffs and I'd actually prefer a higher draft pick.

We probably win next week, but I could see a loss too. The Steelers game is likely a loss but if we won the next two I may get interested. Expecting to be 1-3 after 4 games at best.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:00 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: To be fair to the new offense Dalton has never had good pocket awareness. 

Exactly. People can downplay preseason, and playing against backups all they want, but both our other QBs made plays that Dalton never does. Finley, particularly, has great pocket awareness.

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2019, 09:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: At least we drafted Billy Price over Lamar Jackson

I have Boyd in fantasy, so I'm a bit salty at Price right now, lol.

Seriously, though, can someone please tell him to not grab hold of the defender the next time he gets pancaked?  
Reply/Quote
Price totally looks like a bust. IF he fails at Guard especially.

Lets hope he improves.

Man there were other guys drafted around Price that were so much better.
Reply/Quote