Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pocketknives
Any of you carry a pocket knife. My dad and many of his friends always did. In fact they were very much into "knife trading". They talked about pocket knives the same way many men today talk about their watches.

The courthouse where my dad grew up (Jackson Kentucky) had to make a rule against whittling because the sidewalks were getting covered in shavings from old men gathering and shooting the shit while they whittled.

My dad was pretty good at whittling. He carved pistol grips, knife and tool handles, and many other items from wood. If we were hanging out in the woods he would often cut a thin sprout or branch and whittle on it just to pass the time as we talked.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 11:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Any of you carry a pocket knife.  My dad and many of his friends always did.  In fact they were very much into "knife trading".  They talked about pocket knives the same way many men today talk about their watches.

The courthouse where my dad grew up (Jackson Kentucky) had to make a rule against whittling because the sidewalks were getting covered in shavings from old men gathering and shooting the shit while they whittled.

My dad was pretty good at whittling.  He carved pistol grips, knife and tool handles, and many other items from wood.  If we were hanging out in the woods he would often cut a thin sprout or branch and whittle on it just to pass the time as we talked.

men today wear watches?     I usually have a pocket knife...   and an extra knife in the car that's not pocket sized.  Cause you never know.

I used to think of a swiss army knife whenever I heard the term pocket knife.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 12:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: men today wear watches?     I usually have a pocket knife...   and an extra knife in the car that's not pocket sized.  Cause you never know.

I've never worn a watch, but working in court with everyone in suits now it does feel weird not having one sometimes
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 12:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: men today wear watches?     I usually have a pocket knife...   and an extra knife in the car that's not pocket sized.  Cause you never know.

I always carry a pocket knife. Case medium stockman. I also use a backpack for work (working at a university it fits in) and I keep a Leatherman in there, and there is a small single-blade lockback in my desk. And there is a tanto blade fire/rescue knife in my car.

I may have a problem. But I always carry a watch and I always have a knife, but I am also the type that carries a handkerchief as well. Maybe I'm old-fashioned.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I'm not allowed to have sharp objects. Sad
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 05:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Maybe I'm old-fashioned.

Or maybe you haven't shed the "Be prepared" motto?

From about 6 or 7 until 17 I always carried a pocket knife.  I had one that looked like a switchblade but wasn't one which was confiscated by a cop, even after he realized it wasn't illegal.  Even though I didn't break a law and wasn't charged I quit carrying one since the local cops in that town harassed me (and even more so, my friends) and I didn't need to give them anything to make something stick.  I just never got back in the habit of carrying one except when it was useful for a former job.  Every so often I try to get back in the habit but it never sticks (especially since a different former job included going through a metal detector daily).
Reply/Quote
I don't carry a pocketknife, but I do appreciate them. Every time I get one that I like, I end up losing it, somehow. However, in my line of work, you're more apt to see me strapping a machete or carrying a bush axe.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I have a Gerber multi-tool that I usually keep handy. More like a Swiss Army Knife on Steroids.

[Image: gerber-multi-tool-5142721-pliers-knife-s...d4abf4.jpg]

I also keep an Air Force pilot survival knife around for bigger cutting jobs.

[Image: 591837_ts.jpg]
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
My dad loved pocketknives and used to sit in his chair at night and sharpen it. He used something he call a whetrock and spit. He always kept it sharp as a razor. I think it was called canoe. I know it has a Indian paddling a boat on the blade. I have it around here somewhere.

I never carried a pocketknife, but always wore a multi-tool on my hip and still keep one handy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 07:05 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I have a Gerber multi-tool that I usually keep handy. More like a Swiss Army Knife on Steroids.

[Image: gerber-multi-tool-5142721-pliers-knife-s...d4abf4.jpg]

I also keep an Air Force pilot survival knife around for bigger cutting jobs.

[Image: 591837_ts.jpg]

Yeah, I keep this beauty in a backpack in my car for any little jaunts I take in the mountains:

[Image: b817d3aa1ea326afa7e1709256854630.jpg]

First aid kit, GPS, compass, rope, poncho, water filter, rope, fire starter, trail meal...yeah, Penn may have been right. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 08:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  He used something he call a whetrock and spit. He always kept it sharp as a razor.

My dad did the exact same thing except he used some sort of thin oil like 3-in-1 instead of spit.

He would shapen it until he could shave some hair off his arm like a razor.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 11:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My dad did the exact same thing except he used some sort of thin oil like 3-in-1 instead of spit.

He would shapen it until he could shave some hair off his arm like a razor.

That's what I use. I have a lot of sharpening stones, a lot of them inherited from my father. He was (is, really, but isn't supposed to anymore) a woodcarver and so there were stones of various coarseness all over our house.

Reply/Quote
Always have 2. I feel naked without them. One regular 3 blade pocket knife and one locking blade knife a little bigger for the you never know when you might need it.
Reply/Quote
When I was in uniform I always carried a Leathermans and a Spyderco. A Coldsteel tanto for a survival knife in the ruck. And a pocket saw in the ruck to cut larger trees for shelters, sector stakes, overhead cover, litters, etc.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 05:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I always carry a pocket knife. Case medium stockman. I also use a backpack for work (working at a university it fits in) and I keep a Leatherman in there, and there is a small single-blade lockback in my desk. And there is a tanto blade fire/rescue knife in my car.

I may have a problem. But I always carry a watch and I always have a knife, but I am also the type that carries a handkerchief as well. Maybe I'm old-fashioned.

Nah in my apartment I have knives hidden all over the place... so no matter where I am I can get to one if needed.   I used to wear a watch.. I just don't like things like that unless im going somewhere like hiking and don't wanna carry my phone.
Reply/Quote
Yep, I carry a Buck 4" lockblade with the quick flip knobs on the top, a big Buck Kalinga hunting knife in the truck, and I often wear a Citizen Eco Drive when out and about.

[Image: bu286cms18-600x569.jpg?download]......except mine is black

[Image: 321.1L.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2016, 06:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't carry a pocketknife, but I do appreciate them. Every time I get one that I like, I end up losing it, somehow. However, in my line of work, you're more apt to see me strapping a machete or carrying a bush axe.

Coldsteel sells a Gurkha Kukri machete. You should try one.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 10:53 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yep, I carry a Buck 4" lockblade with the quick flip knobs on the top, a big Buck Kalinga hunting knife in the truck, and I often wear a Citizen Eco Drive when out and about.

[Image: bu286cms18-600x569.jpg?download]......except mine is black

[Image: 321.1L.jpg]

When I can justify it, this is my next knife purchase: [Image: 41APqZxVGML.jpg]

Also, this is the multi-tool I carry around:
[Image: 300154b0af401a23320f8ba8821ab0c8.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 11:14 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Coldsteel sells a Gurkha Kukri machete.  You should try one.

Looks like it would be more efficient than the straight blade ones, like they sell at the Survey Equipment shops.  Saw for $154, on Amazon.  Is that a typical price?

Edit: NVM, I went to the coldsteel site, found a nice one, 2.8 mm blade thickness, for $42.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 11:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Looks like it would be more efficient than the straight blade ones, like they sell at the Survey Equipment shops.  Saw for $154, on Amazon.  Is that a typical price?

Edit: NVM, I went to the coldsteel site, found a nice one, 2.8 mm blade thickness, for $42.

Yeah, the kukri style machetes work splendidly. I've used them clearing stuff at our local scout camp. We have two kukri and several straight and there is a race for the kukri ones on work days by those of us who know their benefits.

Reply/Quote