Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Most feared U.S. WWI weapon
World War I was noted for the fearsome array of new or improved weapons introduced onto the battlefields. Gas, airplanes, tanks, massive cannons, dreadnoughts, flamethrowers, submarines, etc. By the time the U.S. troops began arriving during the final year of the war, all of these weapons were already in use. But the U.S. troops brought a weapon with them that had not been seen on the WWI battlefields up to that point. And this weapon sent such a shock through the German high command, that the German government filed a formal complaint that the weapon violated the Hague Convention... the only such complaint filed by the Germans during the war (while they were gassing the hell out of troops from other countries). And the weapon was not a bomb or machine, etc. It was a firearm.

Wonder what that weapon was?

The M1911 Colt Automatic Pistol?

The M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle?

Those would be reasonable guesses. Both were powerful firearms, the 30-06 round of the BAR and the .45 round from the Colt could easily drop an enemy soldier in one hit. And both weapons were automatic (BTW- the BAR, slung from the shoulder with a sling, was conceived to be the world's first 'assault weapon in a concept the developers called "walking fire").

But, no, it was neither of those venerable weapons.

The weapon that through the hardened German troops into fits was this:
[Image: 16752803_2.jpg?v=8D05C38AFEFEB20]

This is the Winchester Model 1897 pump action shotgun.

European armies of the day favored rifles, particularly bolt action rifles with a long range that could be used to snipe across 'No Mans Land' like the British Lee-Enfield or the German Gewehr 98. But warfare inside the trenches was different it was close quarters. Unless you were using it with a bayonet or as a club, that bolt action rifle wasn't gonna help much after the first shot.

Yes, despite the wide array of weapons being used on the battlefields during WWI, no one was using shotguns. And when the Americans brought them it was a shock to the troops in the trenches facing them. These weapons quickly became known as 'trench sweepers'. Soldiers were trained to enter an enemy trench and use the weapon in 'slam-fire' mode (keeping the trigger held while continuously pumping). In this manner, they could unleash the weapons six rounds within seconds, spraying the trench laterally with 54 8.44mm buckshot rounds. In the close combat of the trenches, it was terrifying to face.

But why would the Germans be so upset about this particular weapon compared to the many other horrifying weapons in use? In 1918, the Germans introduced new tactics designed to break the stalemate on the Western Front. These tactics were a combination of timed and concentrated artillery fire and "stosstruppen" (shock troops) specially trained to infiltrate enemy trenches in coordination with the artillery barrages. The tactics actually worked quite well against the hardened British and French troops on the line. And when the rookie American troops came, naturally the Germans expected devastating results when they met.

But that is not what happened. American commanders had not sat around idly during the prior years of the war. They studied what was going on and planned for the weapons and training U.S. troops would need if they should have to go. And part of those plans included the shotgun. When the Germans moved against the American positions, they were stopped butt cold. And American offenses were surprisingly successful. It was the end of the last remaining hope for the German army and they became desperate. So they protested. But the Americans countered and nothing ever came of it.

As for the shotgun, Americans have used the weapon in every conflict since WWI. Truly, an effective American weapon.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
For people who don't realize, "00" buckshot is .33 inches which is almost as big as a .38 (.357) bullet.  There are about 8 in each 12 guage shell and it just takes one to be lethal.

I worked a case one time where a trailer had been shot with 00 buckshot.  It looked like it had been shot up with powerful machine guns.
Reply/Quote
The shotgun is a very formidable close quarters weapon ! To say the least

It's absolutely the best choice for home defense especially for those with little time to practice/learn how to use a pistol.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 12:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's absolutely the best choice for home defense especially for those with little time to practice/learn how to use a pistol.

Yes and no.

If you live alone, sure. But if you live with others or in an apartment it can cause collateral damage when it sprays. The pellets can easily penetrate drywall and some woods.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 07:42 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yes and no.

If you live alone, sure. But if you live with others or in an apartment it can cause collateral damage when it sprays. The pellets can easily penetrate drywall and some woods.

Just use deer slugs.  You'll only hit the first one through the door, and the next three behind him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 07:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just use deer slugs.  You'll only hit the first one through the door, and the next three behind him.

I've got a couple claymores, I really prefer them.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2019, 08:05 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've got a couple claymores, I really prefer them.

Another great All-American weapon. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I would have guessed chemical weapons were the most feared. Seeing a model horse wearing a WWI era chemical suit with mask on display at the Infantry Museum is one of the oddest things I’ve ever seen.
Reply/Quote
(11-26-2019, 12:02 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I would have guessed chemical weapons were the most feared. Seeing a model horse wearing a WWI era chemical suit with mask on display at the Infantry Museum is one of the oddest things I’ve ever seen.

We had what was known as a 'gas regiment' in WWI and they used phosgene gas several times. But as terrible as that was, it was a pittance compared to what the Germans, British and French had already been dumping on each other for years. We had a new 'product' known as Lewisite that they had planned to unleash if the war went into 1919.

Interestingly enough the use of gas was already starting to decline in the war when the Americans arrived. It was difficult weapon to use, requiring favorable winds and weather conditions which could not always be predicted. It was supposed to create breakthroughs that could be exploited on the line. But after its initial use, the breakthroughs became more limited as defenses against gas became more common and widespread. Also the final year of the war saw the biggest breakthroughs in the line since the initial German offensive in 1914. With the troops more mobile, it became even harder still to find effective places to use chemical weapons.

A lot people claim that Hitler didn't use chemical weapons in combat in WWII because he despised it so much. That may or may not have been true. But perhaps more importantly the lines in WWII moved so rapidly, there were few places in combat where they could have been used.

But as bad as the gas warfare is and was, the shotgun was the only thing the Germans complained about. The Germans were also the first to use chemical weapons in the war, BTW.
Reply/Quote
Ahhh WWI, The Great War, in reality a total cluster ****. The most unorganized command and strategy put together. Maneuvering was lost on the European countries during that time. They preferred to take ground inch by inch at the cost of lives. The tactics they deployed were out dated and ineffective against the advancement of fire power. Skirmish lines were fine when rifles were single shot but not repeating or machine gun. Trenches were more demoralizing and added to the fear of the men in them. Basically you fought in your grave.
Reply/Quote
My grandfather was gassed in WWI and lived through it. He has breathing problems his whole life from it, but still managed to live to 72 and died right before I was born. He was one tough old bastard from everything I've ever heard about him. He became an iron worker after the war and my dad talked about watching his old man carry a girder up a ladder and walk along a thin girder 150 feet up with one on his shoulder. Even up into his 60s he hung out in Jacks bar in Dayton and even back in his days Jacks was known as a rough bar. He always carried his linesman's pliers into the bar and pick fights with guys much bigger. I've only seen one picture of him wearing his fedora. Man, he looked every bit the criminal type, but he was never arrested for anything. I guess back in his day you pretty much had to kill someone to get arrested for brawling in bars. I can't even remember the last good barroom brawl I saw. it's been awhile. I do remember a couple big fat broads brawling in Oney's on Wyoming Street one morning. They made me spill my beer and the bartender gave me a fresh one for my troubles.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote