Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poking The Bear
I felt the turning point for the Ram's defense was when AD made a clean play on Burrow, pushing him out of bounds and Bengals OL began a shoving match. I think it was a turning point in the game for the Rams. At least it seemed that way at the time. I know Morris changed the DL schemes and began using stunts, but I also think it woke up the bear. What do you think?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:12 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I felt the turning point for the Ram's defense was when AD made a clean play on Burrow, pushing him out of bounds and Bengals OL began a shoving match.  I think it was a turning point in the game for the Rams.  At least it seemed that way at the time.  I know Morris changed the DL schemes and began using stunts, but I also think it woke up the bear.  What do you think?

It was 100% using stunts. They schemed to take advantage of the weakest link(s) and do unexpected things.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I don't think that particular interaction changed anything or made anyone play better. They switched up their front and became more active in DL movement which allowed them to have the success that they did.
Reply/Quote
Eh, Donald already looked like Jefferson from Fast Times even before that play. He was going to start getting home at some point. Guy is probably the best defensive player I’ve ever seen in my lifetime (I’m too young to remember LT).

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It was 100% using stunts. They schemed to take advantage of the weakest link(s) and do unexpected things.

Yep. And interestingly...that Donald play where they pushed him out of bounds was the exact play they started overloads and stunts on.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, Donald already looked like Jefferson from Fast Times even before that play. He was going to start getting home at some point. Guy is probably the best defensive player I’ve ever seen in my lifetime (I’m too young to remember LT).

It's probably worth pointing out how many great players the Rams had this year.

Donald All-Pro, PFF's top rated IDL.
Von Miller PFF's 3rd highest EDGE.
Leonard Floyd no slouch either. Over 30 sacks between these 3 pass rushers.
Ramsey was PFF's top rated CB. Voted All-Pro the past two seasons.
Kupp was the triple-crown winning WR, also top-rated at his position according to PFF.
Whitworth and Havenstein both rated Top 10 OTs on PFF. The only tandem to be in the Top 10.
Brian Allen Top 10 C.
Stafford Top 10 QB on PFF. 3rd in the league in YPA, 6th in passer rating, 3rd in passing yards, 2nd in pass TDs.

As good as Hendrickson, Reader, Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Awuzie were this year, the Bengals didn't have as complete of a team as the Rams.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's probably worth pointing out how many great players the Rams had this year.

Donald All-Pro, PFF's top rated IDL.
Von Miller PFF's 3rd highest EDGE.
Leonard Floyd no slouch either. Over 30 sacks between these 3 pass rushers.
Ramsey was PFF's top rated CB. Voted All-Pro the past two seasons.
Kupp was the triple-crown winning WR, also top-rated at his position according to PFF.
Whitworth and Havenstein both rated Top 10 OTs on PFF. The only tandem to be in the Top 10.
Brian Allen Top 10 C.
Stafford Top 10 QB on PFF. 3rd in the league in YPA, 6th in passer rating, 3rd in passing yards, 2nd in pass TDs.

As good as Hendrickson, Reader, Burrow, Chase, Higgins, and Awuzie were this year, the Bengals didn't have as complete of a team as the Rams.

And we started these guys to protect our franchise QB:

Isaiah Prince, 6th rounder who sat out last season and rated 77 out of 83 RTs
Hakeem Adeniji, 6th rounder rated 81st out of 83 RGs
Trey Hopkins, Undrafted rated 35th out of 39 Cs
Quinton Spain, Undrafted rated 26th out of 82 LGs
Jonah Williams, 1st rounder rated 25th out of 83 LTs

All the while paying $10M per year for a 4 catch per game slot receiver and $11M per year for a good RB but Chiefs & Rams neither pay RBs more than $2M.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: And we started these guys to protect our franchise QB:

All the while paying $10M per year for a 4 catch per game slot receiver and $11M per year for a good RB but Chiefs & Rams neither pay RBs more than $2M.

So, you're the Bengals coaches. Donald is tearing up Adeniji in the 2nd half. Why not try Carmen?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 06:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So, you're the Bengals coaches. Donald is tearing up Adeniji in the 2nd half. Why not try Carmen?
I would, I have no idea why he didnt play? Back problems?  Other issues we dont know of?  He came into camp out of shape, possibly due to surgery but he hasnt impressed in any facet this season.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 06:19 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I would, I have no idea why he didnt play? Back problems?  Other issues we dont know of?  He came into camp out of shape, possibly due to surgery but he hasnt impressed in any facet this season.

Yeah, CarmAn is one of only OL w the potential to be a mauling type of OL. Perhaps there was worry of missed blocking assignments due to his youth / inexperience ? He needs to clean up some technique and balance, but no denying he has upside.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:59 PM)casear2727 Wrote: And we started these guys to protect our franchise QB:

Yep.

Many of us said back when Mixon signed his deal that the team needs to be much more run focused if they're going to sign a RB to that much.
We wanted another OL signed with that money and draft a RB.

With Boyd, we were fine with that contract as long as Boyd would have remained WR2 to justify it. Bengals had AJ Green and John Ross at the time too, but it was expected that at least one of them was going to leave once they hit FA. The addition of Higgins just helped that.
It was the addition of Chase that inevitably bumped Boyd down the pecking order.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 06:55 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Yeah, CarmAn is one of only OL w the potential to be a mauling type of OL.   Perhaps there was worry of missed blocking assignments due to his youth / inexperience ?   He needs to clean up some technique and balance, but no denying he has upside.

If there was that much of a worry, perhaps they should have elevated and started XSF.
I've seen enough of Adeniji getting manhandled to know that XSF couldn't have been worse.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think they just started doing things different to ensure Donald get a one on one matchup. That last play of the game they overloaded the left side had a guy on Jonah then had Donald go against Spain but hug the side against Jonah so no one could help unless Hopkins would've dropped completely off the line and tried to cut him off. Just wish if we know they obviously like to do that for that obvious reason that we would've had some kind of audible to counter that. Say maybe motion the back to that side to help or out of the backfield to the opposite side and a WR come across in motion to the right on the snap. Giving Burrow either a pitch to the WR or an escape route to the right with multiple outlets. We just did nothing. I really think Taylor needs to step aside from playcalling. He can still be involved but let someone else give it a go. We've had great defensive adjustments this season but offensively we haven't our players either win or they don't.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If there was that much of a worry, perhaps they should have elevated and started XSF.
I've seen enough of Adeniji getting manhandled to know that XSF couldn't have been worse.

I still just don't understand or haven't heard why they said Carman would start then went with Adeniji anyway.
Reply/Quote

Its not Boyd fault how they use him and I think Mixon and Boyd will be more valuable if/when we improve the line. Also they're contracts will be ending when its time to sign some of the other big names. I think we need to spend big this free agency and go all in. Mainly just keep our group intact but get and OL or two to free up the draft outside of RD 1. 
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If there was that much of a worry, perhaps they should have elevated and started XSF.

Good point man. I kind of agree, and am not sure why Adeniji seemed to be so entrenched since returning.
Reply/Quote

These numbers are horrible. Replace them all.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, I knew it was going to be a long day for Burrow when they started Adeniji over Carman.

Adeniji is bad at picking up stunts and he just back pedals all the time. He really needs to work on his game to stay in the NFL.

Cannot believe the coaches thought he could hold up against Donald and company.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 08:30 PM)Dr.Z Wrote: Good point man.  I kind of agree, and am not sure why Adeniji seemed to be so entrenched since returning.

probably has an exceptional personality  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 07:33 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I still just don't understand or haven't heard why they said Carman would start then went with Adeniji anyway.

Agree, why say anything if he is not going to play

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote